Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20" General Purpose Rifle = almost total perfection

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I set one up very similar for my son. Think of an HBAR M16A4.

The free-float is a BCM that Primary Arms had on sale at $150. It's got a Geissele SSA. No bipod.

55s will definitely go 500 yards, but it'll perform best shooting something big (a full-size steel E-type). We did this out in the Utah west desert, here in Texas, and with carry handle-irons and a sling at Camp Perry. He uses an A1 buttstock.

The 1-7 Colt HBAR barrel holds its own.

77s are a good bet at 500 for winds, although 69s did OK if the winds were cooperating.

I think the farthest we shot consistently against steel E-types was 750-800 yards with 77s and an ACOG. We have a Leupold TS-30 2.5-8 in a Larue SPR-S for a little more magnification.
    I try to keep 77 and 69 grain ammo on hand, but most of what I shoot is still in the lighter range. The heavier stuff certainly tracks nicer.

You ever get out to Lewis and shoot on 1st Groups 1k range? Fun times, good memories, and very humbling.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I like it. Seems like a good setup to add in a DIAS.
    I’ve done enough full auto stuff that it has mainly lost it appeal to me. I know that seems odd to say on a gun board, but unless it’s belt fed most FA fire is wasted. Just my take for what I’ve done in life.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    Very cool gun. I just got my first 20 inch rifle and eventually I would like to dress it up like this. What’s the weight in this configuration?
    I’m not sure off hand, I’ll weigh it when I remember and post it. I should have thought of that when I typed this up.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeniva View Post
    Since you mentioned martial arts, I am curious to know if you ever took an interest in the types of pistols used by china, japan, and vietman throughout history.
    I’ve used an AR15 as an impact tool multiple times, and it’s much like using the Bo, or Jo. Stab/ thrust, slashing, and blocking all directly translate to the use of the modern day rifle and carbine. I believe this enough that I set up assault courses for my nephews, and part of their martial arts training was use the of the weapons in modern day direct impact fighting.

It’s my belief that teaching combatives / martial arts includes a requirement to increase and harness aggression.

Regarding your question of Asian weapons, I believe that men should be able to operate any weapon with a degree of efficiency, with that in mind those weapons really haven’t mattered to me. The American weapons have been superior, and no samurai except Musahi would intentionally take an inferior weapon into battle.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Solid set up that is def up to the task of 500 yard pops with an array of projos. I think Sinister is spot on with the heavies at distance. You can def hit 500 with 55’s and they are typically pretty hot. Are you handloading or slinging factory ammo?

Good luck and enjoy.

PB
    I’m stuck with factory ammo still, I really need to get into reloading, but now isn’t the time. Since 55s are what I have most of on hand, that’s why I chose them. I do shoot heavier ammo at times, but when I’m in my front yard banging steel and doing drills, it doesn’t seem like I need to shoot good stuff.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    Nice,

I am looking at a 20/18 inch pencil barrel, and a B5 stock on the back end or a UBR. Depends.

I am just a guy that hates the A2 profile but I still have a A2 and a MK12 from Cent Arms. The more I workout the more I like lightwegith builds for one reason. Speed to bring it up to shooting position, and long walks on the beach. I like Skinny girls.
    You will like one of the next guns I post, it’s a dedicated light weight gun. Not light as in desperate to stay under a certain weight, just a well laid out light weight AR.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Outstanding. Will buy an upper when I am down range for a lower that is well upper less...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice. I like 20” ARs from a shooting standpoint, mine are Retro styled guns though but I’ve been meaning to build a more practically oriented 20” for a long time. I’ve debated just getting a flattop upper with no M4 ramps and converting one of my existing 20” rifles. I never quite get around to it though.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It's not hard to do.

Another rifle I built is light and handy. Think a flat-top 1-7 twist M16A1 with a no-gunsmithing Daniel Defense Omega 12.0 free-float.

I put an A2 handle on it as a place-holder for glass some time down the road. I've gotta slow down giving all my scopes to my son.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    It's not hard to do.

Another rifle I built is light and handy. Think a flat-top 1-7 twist M16A1 with a no-gunsmithing Daniel Defense Omega 12.0 free-float.

I put an A2 handle on it as a place-holder for glass some time down the road. I've gotta slow down giving all my scopes to my son.
    Yeah two of my 20” guns are A1 profile barrels. I’m just torn between converting one of those to a flattop (My third 20” is kind of a rare-ish Colt parts kit that I won’t be dismantling) or just buying a whole new barrel. Honestly I’ve got kind of a pile of ARs already too so it’s hard for me to justify building another one when the ammo situation has me barely shooting the ones I have.
    But I do like the idea of a practical 20”.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast