Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20" General Purpose Rifle / Build and Overview

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

20" General Purpose Rifle / Build and Overview

The primary purpose of this build was to implement a weapon that would launch 55 grain projectiles out to 500 yards in an accurate manner. Why 500? Because that is pretty close to max distance of the steel on my personal range.

Starting with the lower, it is a Colt receiver with a Colt "match" trigger. However, I'll happily point out that this trigger is no where near a Geissele, nor near the newer Centurion Arms 2 stage, it is a clean single stage trigger. However, it is a step above a generic trigger. The buffer and spring are standard components, nothing special. The stock is an A2, and while I do prefer the A1 stock, most of the shooting with this rifle will be prone so it isn't really an issue. The charging handle is the extended BCM (second gen). The safety and magazine catch are standard components, nothing special, no ambi on the platform. The muzzle device is a 4 prong from Centurion Arms, and is only installed hand tight.

The upper receiver group is based around a 20" HBAR 1/7 Colt barrel complete with Front Sight Base (FSB). The BCG is a Centurion Arms, as is the rail. The rail is the Centurion Arms C4 1913 model, which completes an overall military look to the weapon. The receiver is a flat top (A3/A4) made by Centurion Arms, it was chosen because I wanted to stay with a military style receiver and the CA had a very tight barrel extension to receiver fit, which helps to maximize accuracy. The gas tube is standard, there was no need to alter gas flow with this project, I figured if there was, I could swap gas tubes or restrict the port with a plug down the road. The rear sight is KAC, though the scope mount is not QD.

The accessories have a Geissele super precision scope mount holding a Leupold 3-9 VX-R Patrol scope. The optic isn't perfect, but it functions well enough for this project. The "fire dot" is bright enough and is motion activated.

The light is a Surefire handheld model in a Viking Tactics light mount, its on because I like the throw of the light. There is barrel shadowing, but it is held to the 4 o'clock position and not so much as to be objectionable. The VFG is a modified Bobro Engineering model which I cut down. The bipod which is currently on it is changed out from what is shown. There is nothing wrong with the bipod shown, but evidently I'm used to the Bobro Engineering bipod so I swapped back to what I'm comfortable with. Balance on this is noticeably more nose heavy than a M16A4 due to the HBAR, however, recoil is a soft gentle lullaby of a push.

The end result of this project is a vehicle for a wide variety of ammunition, and the platform is going to be limited primarily by the scope and my own shooting ability. I call this project, a total success.

Question, comments? Post away....

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My hope is to have enough free time that I can start going over various builds, and include the whats and whys of the projects instead of just posting pictures.

As mentioned above, feel free to comment, throw out your opinion, or ask questions.

Thanks.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nice looking build with all quality components. I'm sure it is up to the task with an HBAR 1/7 for 500-yard pops with your new gun project. We shot my HBAR with irons last week and it was big fun. Mating Centurion and Colt should be a win-win, enjoy. Keep us posted with different loads and accuracy.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Nice looking build with all quality components. I'm sure it is up to the task with an HBAR 1/7 for 500-yard pops with your new gun project. We shot my HBAR with irons last week and it was big fun. Mating Centurion and Colt should be a win-win, enjoy. Keep us posted with different loads and accuracy.

PB
    That’s part of why I left irons on it. The scope may get pulled for other projects, and it’s always nice to be able to accurately make the gun go bang. Speaking of which, I’ve been banging steel with my A2 mil contract upper. I have really enjoyed getting back to basics using iron only weapons.

I’ve also used that same one out patrolling on the property, the M16 and M16A2 really feel good when carried. Then again, I love my A4 w/ ACOG as well...
    Stick

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    That’s part of why I left irons on it. The scope may get pulled for other projects, and it’s always nice to be able to accurately make the gun go bang. Speaking of which, I’ve been banging steel with my A2 mil contract upper. I have really enjoyed getting back to basics using iron only weapons.

I’ve also used that same one out patrolling on the property, the M16 and M16A2 really feel good when carried. Then again, I love my A4 w/ ACOG as well...
    Variety is the spice of life. I still do enjoy my ACOG gun as well, takes you back to an earlier date and time when the ACOG reigned supreme. Still, a whole lot to love about a COG!

I handled a 20 inch A2 in a LGS, Colt for $1,249, oh oh oh it tempted me. Mine is the Colt Match gun without birdcage or threaded barrel. This gun had a carry handle. Very tempted.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What reticle is in the Leupold?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    My hope is to have enough free time that I can start going over various builds, and include the whats and whys of the projects instead of just posting pictures.

As mentioned above, feel free to comment, throw out your opinion, or ask questions.

Thanks.
    All I can say is, that’s a nice rifle!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    What reticle is in the Leupold?

Good question, it’s a fire dot, but I’ll need to check the box to see what it’s called.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
    All I can say is, that’s a nice rifle!

Thank you!!!!
    Stick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast