Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plate carrier (ceramic) transport bag recommendations

Feedback Score

Plate carrier (ceramic) transport bag recommendations

Good evening forumites...
    I am trying to find a bag to transport my ceramic armor in the back of my SUV to courses, ranges & whatnot.
    I'm running a DFNDR Armor lvl 4 QRC..with 3 G Code Scorpion AR mag pouches across the front, & a Dark Angel Medical D.A.R.K trauma kit on my left side molle panel.
    I would like something padded, & reasonably fast to access the carrier.
    The search function didn't show any results, so any help would be very,very much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got one of the new style duffle bags from Venture Surplus for like 20 bucks, and those things rock. If you want something low profile, a North Face duffle bag is always a good choice.

Feedback Score
    Okie,thank you very much for the suggestions..I will check those out!!

Feedback Score
    I take my PC, throw it in the back of my SUV, then drive to where I'm going. Cover it with a jacket if I have area concerns.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    I take my PC, throw it in the back of my SUV, then drive to where I'm going. Cover it with a jacket if I have area concerns.
    ^^This would honestly be my preferred method, but I wasn't sure how susceptible ceramic was to cracking, the internets is full of varying thoughts on the matter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantee View Post
    ^^This would honestly be my preferred method, but I wasn't sure how susceptible ceramic was to cracking, the internets is full of varying thoughts on the matter.
    They're as delicate as dinner plates, but tough as nails. Just kinda depends on how it happens. It also depends on whether they're NIJ certified or not, because part of that is passing a really harsh drop test. Milspec armor said screw the NIJ, we want them thin, so they don't have as much padding.

Probably the greater concern is temperature and humidity. While the ceramic itself is stable, the glue holding the spectra on it can be affected. If the plate delaminates from the spectra backing then they're not going to work right.

Feedback Score
    Okie, thank you for that info!!
    My plates are NIJ cert, & I had no idea that certification included a drop test.
    I've obviously been waaay over thinking this.
    The humidity issue I will have to monitor, as Iowa is humid as well!!
    Great info, & very much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    I used to use ceramic in my personal rifle vest I carry for duty use.

I changed to polyethylene plates due to drop issues. Not sure how they are affected by heat tho...
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    I used to use ceramic in my personal rifle vest I carry for duty use.

I changed to polyethylene plates due to drop issues. Not sure how they are affected by heat tho...
    In hindsight, poly is maybe the direction I should have went, for ease of care/maintenance..but I grabbed my set-up off of sales, & rewards points & whatnot..so I'm just kind of figuring out how to live with what I have..but the weight savings alone, would make poly plates worth the money!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantee View Post
    In hindsight, poly is maybe the direction I should have went, for ease of care/maintenance..but I grabbed my set-up off of sales, & rewards points & whatnot..so I'm just kind of figuring out how to live with what I have..but the weight savings alone, would make poly plates worth the money!!!
    I started with steel, found a good sale on GovX for OSS ceramic, now I have poly.

Ceramic wasn’t so bad, the vest mostly rides around bucked into a seat in my patrol car... and I train with the old steel..

However, a friend had poly and the weight difference... and I don’t have to worry about dropping them on the garage floor. It would be just my luck...
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-25-21 at 21:45.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast