Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LaRue MBT Trigger Install Questions

Feedback Score

LaRue MBT Trigger Install Questions

Hi,

On my previous AR I investigated and watched videos of the install and figured I could pull it off. Store I bought it from was slow that morning and offered to do it for me so I let them and watched. They seemed to struggle more than in the videos and I'm curious if any pitfalls they were unaware off that made it more difficult than the smooth YT vids I've seen?

Also...

When discussing mil-spec v. after market triggers at a local shop the counter guy suggested the mil-spec "better" as a heavier hammer drop and some after market triggers can be prone to light strikes.

Is this so?

Any problems with Larue having such issues?

I assume the heavier trigger spring has NOTHING to do with hammer strike force and simply sear release weight so no advantage to using the heavier option trigger...right?

I would think a properly lubed AR with proper firing pin should have no problem with this and perhaps this from battle conditions of MANY rounds without cleaning and perhaps a heavier pin strike to overcome any carbon build up in short term.... I dunno...

Thanks!

W

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalstib View Post
    Hi,

On my previous AR I investigated and watched videos of the install and figured I could pull it off. Store I bought it from was slow that morning and offered to do it for me so I let them and watched. They seemed to struggle more than in the videos and I'm curious if any pitfalls they were unaware off that made it more difficult than the smooth YT vids I've seen?

Also...

When discussing mil-spec v. after market triggers at a local shop the counter guy suggested the mil-spec "better" as a heavier hammer drop and some after market triggers can be prone to light strikes.

Is this so?

I assume the heavier trigger spring has NOTHING to do with hammer strike force and simply sear release weight so no advantage to using the heavier option trigger...right?

I would think a properly lubed AR with proper firing pin should have no problem with this and perhaps this from battle conditions of MANY rounds without cleaning and perhaps a heavier pin strike to overcome any carbon build up in short term.... I dunno...

Thanks!

W
    You can have an aftermarket trigger and a standard hammer spring. I have two MBT's. Zero light strikes. I use the heavier spring. The lighter one has a soft reset.

The trigger is wide and the inner workings long. I've found I need to remove the safety to get it to seat. That's all. If you're asking this question the risk of carbon buildup to the point of it affecting your gun is exceedingly low.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Triggers are not hard to install, but people do eff it up. The LaRue is easier than average, but the guy probably hadn’t touched one in a while or something.

It is true that some triggers can cause light strikes, because of how they arrive at their pull weights and feel. Your LaRue should be just fine, as would be many other well-established aftermarket “tactical” triggers that get discussed here.

You are correct that the heavier trigger spring that comes with the LaRue has no impact on hammer fall energy. I use it because I like the “feel” better, particularly the reset that some people complain about. I also tend to prefer the heavier springs with any aftermarket trigger that has options, so maybe I’m weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Whalstib View Post
    Hi,

Also...

Is this so?

Thanks!

W
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I also remove the safety to install the MBTs and they are marginally easier to install than a Mil-type trigger because the disconnector is pinned. I always struggle with installing the hammer because you have to fight the hammer spring tension.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-26-21 at 13:28.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I also remove the safety to install the MBTs and they are marginally easier to install than a Mil-type trigger because the disconnector is pinned. I always struggle with installing the hammer because you have to fight the hammer spring tension.

Andy
    Run a punch through it before messing with the pin.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Used the Geiselle trigger fitting pin to help install...

Feedback Score
    i believe the store you used is inexperienced and misinformed

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    AR triggers. Mil spec and the MBT’s are about the same level of difficulty to me. I have used the lighter spring FWIW.

If the shop offered to do it they should be competent. If they had trouble it seems they are somewhat incompetent in that simple task. Does the trigger function correctly?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    AR triggers. Mil spec and the MBT’s are about the same level of difficulty to me. I have used the lighter spring FWIW.

If the shop offered to do it they should be competent. If they had trouble it seems they are somewhat incompetent in that simple task. Does the trigger function correctly?
    I wouldn't say trouble but there was something that took a couple tries to get. Guy seemed a hand short was all. I didn't mean to say he messed it up. It's just I watched a few videos and those guys make it seem extremely easy compared.

I thought maybe a common tough spot that those guys who do lots make look easier.

I shot 100 flawless rounds through it!

Waiting for a new one for my new one!

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4luvr View Post
    i believe the store you used is inexperienced and misinformed
    It was two different stores. The one where I bought and had installed the first trigger months ago is a great shop! The owner took lots of time and broke out some ARs with similar triggers and weights for me to try. His helper who seems quite competent did the install. He's a hardened Army sergeant with lots of field experience..

Second store who suggested light strikes was in response to my remarking why mil-specs are always lacking and my griping of why Daniel Defense puts such triggers in their ARs. I don't think he was quoting gospel with the light strike remark but just what he kinda figured. Another great shop I've done lots of business with.

Even though anonymous I don't like making it sound like guys are inexperienced and misinformed based upon my choice of words.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast