Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on new AR build

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I just did a GP rifle, you can check out the what’s and why’s of the build in either my section of the forum or custom build forum. The next build I’ll post is a 16” with a barrel that I got from John Noveske. This second weapon is lighter weight, but set up to use a LPVO, and it’s a favorite of mine.

If you are locking in on an 18” barrel, don’t let anyone sway you. I have plenty of 18” barreled weapons which are all fun, but it does leverage weight against you as well as make things a bit more cumbersome. If you are using this for being out and about actively patrolling, you may find it matters. If you are clearing houses, you will certainly see that the extra couple inches matters. 18 doesn’t do much that 16 doesn’t, but it is always nice to have options.
    Thanks! I read your post in custom section last night actually. Look forward to the next post.

No married to 18”. It’s not the ballistics that has me leaning that direction so much as the gas system just feels smoother shooting to me. Not the end of the world either way.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Per clearing houses/patrol, my go-to is a Colt SOCOM 14.5 with a Mk16 Geissele rail and a SOPMOD stock resting on a select fire lower. It is really the best of all worlds with me. I don’t do entry or services like I used to, but do them I still do on occasion. Currently it has a torch and an EOTech. For my purposes, the EOTech is ideal for me. Otherwise I might put a Kahles or a Vortex Gen II HD on it.

It is so well balanced that it is probably the nicest rifle I have. Like aside from my HK, it is the gun that I would take if Civilization stopped.

Shout out to JoshNC who took exceptional care of me on the FSB shave. I cannot speak highly enough on how well it turned out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    Thanks! I read your post in custom section last night actually. Look forward to the next post.

No married to 18”. It’s not the ballistics that has me leaning that direction so much as the gas system just feels smoother shooting to me. Not the end of the world either way.
    I have a 16” with rifle length gas system, so it’s really a matter of what you want. Lots of options out there.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score

A properly ported midlength barrel can be just as smooth as an 18" from my experience. There are some companies that do intermediate gas systems. If you pair that with the right size gas port/buffer/spring/muzzle device you can get a very flat shooting rifle. Black river tactical is a good place to look for a barrel. Centurion makes very good barrels as well(rails too)

I just think a 16" or even shorter would accomplish what you want with less weight and more maneuverability. I would be doing a "recce" build personally based on your standards. Compass lake engineering has some really good options for barrels as well if you want something more precision oriented. Douglas, Krieger, and Bartlien blanks available

There are a few nice 1-8 scopes as well, but a 1-6 or 1-10 wouldn't be out of place either depending on preference. Vortex razor, nightforce atacr/nx8, primary arms platinum 1-8

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wholeheartedly echo the general consensus to avoid the 18" barrels. They were popularized by the Mk12, and everyone was just like, Okay the SEALs say 18" is the optimal SPR length, so that's what I'm going with. The SEALs actually wanted 16" and the Army wanted 20" (and they were both right), so someone in SOCOM tried to play King Solomon to them, but neither one blinked and the baby got split right down the middle.

The thing about that though is they used suppressors full time on them, and only one type of ammo, so they didn't really encounter any problems. But the fact remains that they're less versatile when it comes to changing those variables. You can go with a shorter gas system length now, but then you don't get to take advantage of all the benefits of a full rifle length system. So it's kind of the worst of both worlds in a way.

Now you said you were wanting a go to general purpose gun, but it sounds like you're gravitating more towards a precision build. For a go to GP gun, you can't beat a Mk18 or Commando. If you want an SPR type go to rifle, maybe go with a SOCOM or FBI barrel and upgrade to a Geisselle super dynamic combat trigger.

Are you planning on mounting a laser aimer to the handguard? If so, and you want it to be free floating, you'll need something good and stiff. Something like a Daniel Defense or PRI. If no sights or aimers will be mounted to the rail, you can get away with a KMR. You might however seriously think about the Vltor monolithic uppers. If you want that precision element, I can't think of a more fitting piece than that. It's a precision oriented item to begin with, with tight tolerances in the flange, and it's stiff enough to load a little on a bipod without POI shift. And if you want a laser aimer, or should you want one in the future, it would of course be good for that, too. There are also the LMT uppers, but I don't have any personal experience with them, so I don't know what non standard parts they require. If memory serves, you have to use their barrels, but I might be wrong. Would be worth looking into.

Feedback Score
    Stick that’s interesting. I had a 17” build with rifle gas but it was a sub 5 lb race gun with the original JP aluminum carrier and all sorts of non standard parts. I’m surprised you got a 16” rifle length to function that well. I’d be curious to hear more.

Everready you’re starting to convince me. I’d definitely prefer 16” if I can get it to shoot the same. Like I said, I’ve kinda missed most of the AR15 technical stuff past 10 years. I will look into black river. Compass lake was my go to for barrels shooting CMP/HP back in the day. I didn’t even think to check them.
    I’ve got a 1-8nf atacr that I was just going to move over and retire the gun it’s currently on.

Okie yes I will have IR laser but I typically mount them to the receiver, not on the end of the rail like most people.
    I always wanted a vltor monolithic upper. Had a couple regular vltor uppers but never with the rail.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Stick that’s interesting. I had a 17” build with rifle gas but it was a sub 5 lb race gun with the original JP aluminum carrier and all sorts of non standard parts. I’m surprised you got a 16” rifle length to function that well. I’d be curious to hear more.

Everready you’re starting to convince me. I’d definitely prefer 16” if I can get it to shoot the same. Like I said, I’ve kinda missed most of the AR15 technical stuff past 10 years. I will look into black river. Compass lake was my go to for barrels shooting CMP/HP back in the day. I didn’t even think to check them.
    I’ve got a 1-8nf atacr that I was just going to move over and retire the gun it’s currently on.

Okie yes I will have IR laser but I typically mount them to the receiver, not on the end of the rail like most people.
    I always wanted a vltor monolithic upper. Had a couple regular vltor uppers but never with the rail.
    They're a little bit chonky, but very stiff and well worth the extra weight if precision is what you're after. They're actually no heavier than like a DD rail, and they prevent the barrel from flexing at the flange.

Have you thought about building an Army style SPR with a 20" barrel and KAC RAS rifle length drop in? If you're going to use an SPR profile barrel anyways, and I'm just speculating here, you might get some very similar results with less weight and cost. You would still have the flange weakness if you aggressively loaded a bipod, but you'll have that no matter what unless you go monolithic. Or if you don't want something that long, the SOCOM and FBI profile barrels are almost as heavy as an HBAR.

In any case, I would think about that, going heavy barrel with the KAC RAS drop ins. That would let you get your laser off the receiver (because I'm guessing you'll want magnified optics?) without having your zero wander all over tarnation, and without having to have some boat anchor of a handguard. That SPR style stuff starts to pack on the pounds quick.

Feedback Score

Black River Tactical also uses a different rifling than standard. I believe they state it adds some velocity, so with the correct ammo you might get similar performance to an 18''. Call Clint at black River and talk to him.. He knows his stuff and can answer any questions you have. The only issue right now is waiting for inventory at most places.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Black River Tactical also uses a different rifling than standard. I believe they state it adds some velocity, so with the correct ammo you might get similar performance to an 18''. Call Clint at black River and talk to him.. He knows his stuff and can answer any questions you have. The only issue right now is waiting for inventory at most places.
    Also the Stainless Recce barrel (and some of his others) uses an intermediate length gas system. Mine shoots very smooth.

Feedback Score
    okie i tried posting a pic but this site's attachment manager is fubar. not really looking for precision but it would be nice if it shoots tight.

Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    looked at their website. looks pretty interesting. I'll try to call later. Their choice of legit 556 NATO chamber is interesting. They state it gives up almost nothing to 223 wylde. I wonder why. I also wonder if they do a light weight. they're about half a pound heavier than the other bbl i was looking at.

thanks to those recommending the magpul sl-s stock. i think that's just what i was looking for. same basic cheek weld as a sopmod, but more refined.

we've come along way since the M93b lol. I've run UBRs on most of my builds. Tried CTR and PRS a couple times and didn't like them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast