Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical Kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Medical Kit

In addition to a well stocked Trauma Kit I've assembled the following Medical kit to cover booboos and medical issues that can be addressed with OTC meds.

This isn't a Trauma kit; that is separate and covers everything beyond Bandaids. It's built in the same bag as my Trauma kit but is a different color and is obviously tagged differently. Comments? Suggestions? What have I overlooked?

I'm having my wife write up a Pediatric kit with meds appropriate for the Grandkids as they can't take adult doses.

Here's what's currently contained in this kit but in no particular order:

Bandaids of various sizes
    Q Tips
    Hand wipes
    Butt wipes
    Cough Drops
    Benadryl tablets
    Primatene mist inhaler (epinephrine)
    Decongestant tablets
    Allergy antihistamine tablets
    Tylenol
    Ibuprofen
    Anti-diarrheal tablets
    Anti-nausea/motion sickness tablets
    Tums
    Pedialyte powder
    Cortisone anti-itch cream
    Triple Antibiotic ointment
    Dental cream
    Eye drops
    After Bite pen
    Alcohol wipes
    Magnifying glass
    magnifying mirror compact
    tweezers
    Tic remover
    Tissues

141.jpg

Feedback Score
    I have a sick call kit next to my trauma kit that I keep similarly loaded out. Besides meds, some stuff I also pack (I'm also in healthcare, so some of the items may not necessarily be of any use for you):
    - Wound care/closure (Betadine/Hibiclens, 4x4s, sutures, etc.)
    - HEENT (Oto/opthalmoscope, saline solution, eye shields, etc.)
    - Dental (orajel, floss)
    - Assessment (BP cuff/steth/pulse ox)
    - Ortho (splints)
    - Burns (burn dressing)
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    I don't know what your medical background is, so if you're not in the field I suggest a BLS/ACLS/ATLS course. Perhaps some Tac Med training as well. An EMT basic course? Wilderness medicine course ? A myriad of training /educational options exist.

Feedback Score
    Firefighter EMT for the past 20 years. Also worked search and rescue and provided medical for my team in the USAF.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrediver View Post
    Firefighter EMT for the past 20 years. Also worked search and rescue and provided medical for my team in the USAF.
    Outstanding ! You are more than well versed in providing medical aid to those under your care !

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drsal View Post
    I don't know what your medical background is, so if you're not in the field I suggest a BLS/ACLS/ATLS course. Perhaps some Tac Med training as well. An EMT basic course? Wilderness medicine course ? A myriad of training /educational options exist.
    ACLS is overkill unless you are a paramedic or work in a hospital. ATLS is a physician/mid-level-only course (non-providers can audit it), and essentially little value to out-of-hospital medical care. First responder or even basic first aid with Stop The Bleed is the sweet spot, good for everyone. Unless one is on a tac team, tac med does not offer any advantages that Stop The Bleed won't cover.

I am all for training, training, and more training, but just like gear and guns, mission drives the training and the gear: what is the purpose, and what can I (legally) do? (relative to the cert/license/training)
    Last edited by chuckman; 04-28-21 at 11:20. Reason: spellin'

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    ACLS is overkill unless you are a paramedic or work in a hospital. ATLS is a physician/mid-level-only course (non-providers can audit it), and essentially little value to out-of-hospital medical care. First responder or even basic first aid with Stop The Bleed is the sweet spot, good for everyone. Unless one is on a tac team, tac med does not offer any advantages that Stop The Bleed won't cover.

I am all for training, training, and more training, but just like gear and guns, mission drives the training and the gear: what is the purpose, and what can I (legally) do? (relative to the cert/license/training)
    As a semi retired physician, who used to work with various allied health providers, and unaware of his background, I merely provided various suggestions :-)

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drsal View Post
    As a semi retired physician, who used to work with various allied health providers, and unaware of his background, I merely provided various suggestions :-)
    Yeah, no worries. As a physician, the world is your oyster and all. For everyone else, there are a lot of hard ceilings on what we can and can't take, much less do and don't do. Again, I am all for train, train, and train again. Almost anyone can audit most any course in which they cannot obtain a cert.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

I have all of that in my large Trauma kit except for the OTO scope, but I think I'm ordering a one for my Squad kit. The "dental cream" is Orajel type; added that after a comment on another forum.

I have four levels of kits: a large bin with resupply and for "home" use, a large Squad kit that contains larger stuff and greater quantities, small trauma kits (same bag as these but larger than IFAKs), and now these OTC med kits.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For this type of kit (based on current contents) I would add burn creams and some packs of electrolytes.
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrediver View Post
    In addition to a well stocked Trauma Kit I've assembled the following Medical kit to cover booboos and medical issues that can be addressed with OTC meds.

This isn't a Trauma kit; that is separate and covers everything beyond Bandaids. It's built in the same bag as my Trauma kit but is a different color and is obviously tagged differently. Comments? Suggestions? What have I overlooked?

I'm having my wife write up a Pediatric kit with meds appropriate for the Grandkids as they can't take adult doses.

Here's what's currently contained in this kit but in no particular order:

Bandaids of various sizes
    Q Tips
    Hand wipes
    Butt wipes
    Cough Drops
    Benadryl tablets
    Primatene mist inhaler (epinephrine)
    Decongestant tablets
    Allergy antihistamine tablets
    Tylenol
    Ibuprofen