Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's so great about LMT rifles?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    When did Colt change their bolts?

LMT has some cool stuff with the MRP and their ambi lowers are nice.

Basic carbine vs basic carbine? I think a Colt has a slight edge, but an LMT is real close.
    Sometime in the early 2000s iirc. For SBRs it's more than a slight edge. More like the difference between predictable failure, vs. random self destruct.

Feedback Score
    I have posted before as to my experience with LMT. Two defenders both had the SA BCG and C buffers. I asked them why and never received an answer, nor would they answer me at SHOT. IG said is was a cost cutting method. Both of my BCG's had substandard staking and the gas keys came loose. The CS was rather negative. Hence I repaired them and replaced the C buffers with H buffers. They have been extremely reliable thereafter.

I bought a complete LMT lower that was out of spec. The bolt catch/release plunger was wedged into the recess. It took me 2 hours to get it out. CS was terrible. they were arrogant and actually tried to blame the gun store?? I had to drill the recess to fix the issue.

However, I have built many lowers using LMT stripped lowers. They have been in spec and good to go.

Between my defenders, which have been reliable since I fixed them, and my colt 6920, I will take my colt every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

YMMV, Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    When LMTs patent expires for the mono upper the entire industry will change forever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc View Post
    I have posted before as to my experience with LMT. Two defenders both had the SA BCG and C buffers. I asked them why and never received an answer, nor would they answer me at SHOT. IG said is was a cost cutting method. Both of my BCG's had substandard staking and the gas keys came loose. The CS was rather negative. Hence I repaired them and replaced the C buffers with H buffers. They have been extremely reliable thereafter.

I bought a complete LMT lower that was out of spec. The bolt catch/release plunger was wedged into the recess. It took me 2 hours to get it out. CS was terrible. they were arrogant and actually tried to blame the gun store?? I had to drill the recess to fix the issue.

However, I have built many lowers using LMT stripped lowers. They have been in spec and good to go.

Between my defenders, which have been reliable since I fixed them, and my colt 6920, I will take my colt every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

YMMV, Cheers, Steve
    Man that's disheartening to say the very least. Sounds like Aero is better quality for less money. Shoot, sounds like even Anderson is better. PSA for sure.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc View Post

YMMV, Cheers, Steve
    I actually had that happen to one. If it ever happens to anyone else, take a 5/32 drill bit and HAND HOLD it, push the detent in with it and gently turn to remove to offending material. The detent will release, then clean up the hole, touch up if necessary. Takes 5 minutes.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma View Post
    When LMTs patent expires for the mono upper the entire industry will change forever.
    A 13.5” MLOK monolithic Colt with their 16” mid barrel would be ok.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma View Post
    You would think so, but I don't see the Vltor VIS series flying off the shelves or in pictures. I will point out that I think Vltor needs to quit playing games and start up MLOK production. I don't care how invested they are in Keymod, or how well it works, it doesn't change that MLOK is what is currently selling.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    You would think so, but I don't see the Vltor VIS series flying off the shelves or in pictures. I will point out that I think Vltor needs to quit playing games and start up MLOK production. I don't care how invested they are in Keymod, or how well it works, it doesn't change that MLOK is what is currently selling.
    All the monolithic stuff is heavy and expensive. You have to have a real use case for it to make it pay.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Colts made in then last two years or so are just mediocre at best. Their customer service is non-existent. Why anyone under 50 would buy one, other than for re-selling it to someone even older than them, when so many other options exist is beyond me.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    Which Colt model would most directly compare to a Defender 2000 Standard Model 16? . . . a 6920?
    Last edited by Spot; 04-28-21 at 10:55.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast