Thread: Red dot carry tips and info?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Red dot carry tips and info?

I've carried for years, I just got my first red dot carry pistol. Archon type b with an rmr. What is different, what don't I know? Like maybe I'll have to clean lint out of it constantly. In the winter, it's appendix, when I pull it out will I have to defog it lol.

Tell me what you experts already know that I don't want to figure out at the wrong time. Or something I'm not going to learn at the range just practicing.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    The hardest thing for lifelong irons shooters is that they look for the dot like it's the front site, if you do that you are almost assuredly going to lose the dot. Look through the optic at the target and the dot will be in view. The biggest thing about the dot is that exposes imperfections in grip and presentation that you can get away with using irons because the difference in sight picture is minuscule.

With the RMR, crank the brightest all the way up and then bump it down 2 clicks. That will get you through pretty much any lighting condition.

Other than that, there's really not much of a learning curve. 2 focal planes instead of 3 with irons is an advantage, and the dot really shines outside of 10+ yards. The RMR doesnt really take a ton of maintenance and is as close to set it and forget it as you're going to get as far as pistol mounted dots go. They're not any more work than a RDO on a long gun or a WML at least. Catcrap helps keep the lens clean and from fogging but unless you're in high humidity, its not a huge concern.

Look at content from Modern Samauri Project. Chuck Pressburg is also a good resource.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    Haven't had a fog issue on my 507k but have had body/pet hairs get on the lens. Would recommend checking every time you put the pistol on that the field of view is free of obstruction. Only takes a second and helps you get a practice draw in. YMMV

Feedback Score
    Fog won't be an issue as the gun stays warm on your body.

Just practice and get good, not much else to say. I agree with using irons to find the dot at first, but eventually you should get to the point where you don't need them.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Its the easiest practice with no ammo. Just pull and get your sight picture, then again, then again,. No ammo fired and the most important thing is finding your sight picture. Just practice that over and over.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Glass and lenses fog up when the temp and humidity on one side is vastly different than on the other. Things like sealed binoculars, house windows or a cup of ice water get foggy in humid conditions. Binoculars fog when they quickly go from a crisp dry cool climate like inside a well air conditioned house to a warm muggy climate, like outside in Louisiana summer atmosphere. AFAIK pistol red dot sights are single panes of glass, so the air is the same on either side of the sight with no sealed air in between two panes like on scopes or binos.

If being carried close to your body, even OWB is close enough, I don't think a fogged lens on an RMR would be an issue. Not saying it couldn't happen though.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Before contacts lenses, my glasses would fog on occasion going from a cooler building/car to the Florida swampass environment outside in Summer. I would think the same would apply to the lens of a red dot. Once the glass heats up a little closer to the outside temp, it's all good.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 04-30-21 at 07:42.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Even if it does fog, it's not a real issue if you are using the sight properly with both eyes open.

With a fogged lenses, you won't be able to see through it with your dominant eye, but your non dominant eye will see around it. The dot will still be visible, and as long as your focus is on the target, you can still just super impose the dot over the target.

This can also be practiced by putting a peice of tape over your lense.

There are also concerns of water causing the dot to get dispersed if water ends up on the emitter. I have never experienced this, and have tried to make it happen by pouring water on it. It caused the dot to break up slightly, but it was still obvious what dot was the real dot.

The real issue would be the sight getting packed with mud or something. Then neither your dot or irons will be visible. At that point you will have to index the pistol/point shoot.

In my mind the pros out way the cons.

For me the real advantage is at distance, say 25 yards and out. Because of that, many would say they offer little advantage on a selfdefense handgun, and they would have a point, but in the world of active shooters, it's nice having the confidence to make longer shots. I know for me personally, with a RDS pistol, I can make pretty good shots at 100yrds, not so much with irons.

Soli Deo Gloria