Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Better to reload: 10 mm or .45 acp?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by md66948 View Post
    If you buy a glock and reload you will have to contend with the glock bulge. I would spend a little more and get something other then a glock that does not have an open chamber like a glock. Just my $0.02.
    Complete BS. "Open chamber"? WTF?

Have you ever reloaded for a Glock? Stop purveying internet myth, this is a technical forum.

Many of us have loaded many thousands of rounds of 9mm, .40, .45ACP, 10mm, with factory Glock barrels, it is not an issue.

Resize, load, and move on.

Either or, OP.

Feedback Score
    I'm sure I'll end up reloading my new G30 G4 both lead and jacketed with a strong preference for 200 gr flat nosed bullets.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Complete BS. "Open chamber"? WTF?

Have you ever reloaded for a Glock? Stop purveying internet myth, this is a technical forum.

Many of us have loaded many thousands of rounds of 9mm, .40, .45ACP, 10mm, with factory Glock barrels, it is not an issue.

Resize, load, and move on.

Either or, OP.
    Pretty sure he means 'poorly supported' chamber and that is not myth. Not so much with newer gen Glock barrels but the older ones were shit compared to what is out there now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    For my purposes 10mm or .45 doesn't matter much it seems.

Range, possible HD, possible CC, possible cut for a optic. I'd use 200 gr bullets in .45 and 180 gr in 10mm. No plans to load any of it "hot".

Hands down: Go 10mm.

Under normal circumstances .45AARP is so cheap that it's not worth reloading, but 10mm is always a "specialty" thing and comparably expensive and rare.

Of course 10mm also gains you more magazine capacity and more oomph: win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Me, too...

I've reloaded and run and reloaded again tens of thousands of rounds of .40S&W, all run through Gen2 Glocks, and I've never seen a bulged case. Ever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Hands down: Go 10mm.

Under normal circumstances .45AARP is so cheap that it's not worth reloading, but 10mm is always a "specialty" thing and comparably expensive and rare.
    I considered this. Avoiding Russian crap, I recall CCI Blazer 10 mm and the cheapest quality .45 both being about $15 / 50 in 2019.

I found the gen 4 G30 first and have hundreds of .45 and zero 10mm. So I would have had to buy 10 mm ammo or cases just to get started shooting.

If the .45 doesn't work out I can change parts and shoot 10 mm from it. Or get a Gen 5 G29 if they make it or whatever.

I'm going to put 300-500 rounds through the G30 before I buy dies and bullets for it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Be sure you load to 10mm spec.

Loading 180 grain to 1050 fps is FBI Lite spec; barely warmer than .40. Most factory ammo is this.

But at 1250 or so, now you're talking 10mm.

Feedback Score
    The cure for Glock bulge was the ammunition companies making thicker .40 brass and Glock changing the design of the feed ramp. I have a gen 3 Glock .40 and have "NO" bulge problems.

Just my guess but if you find any bulged .40 cases at the range they are from an older model Glock fired by someone who does not reload. Any reloader with an unsupported barrel would have had Glock replace the barrel.

Below in the photo you can see the change to the Glock feed ramps to stop the bulging problem.

If you plan to go fishing in Alaska the 10mm would be better bear protection. If you just like to shoot at the range a .45 acp would be my choice. The .45 acp brass would be easier to find and cheaper and not as hard on the firearm. That being said the vast majority of the reloads in my .40 Glock are lite loads and easy on the brass.

Make Right With a ".40 Lite"
    https://www.handgunsmag.com/editoria..._091806/138689
    Last edited by bigedp51; 05-02-21 at 19:27.

Feedback Score
    I like the versatility of the 10mm more. It’s a handgun reloaders dream. Load light for plinking or gaming and load heavier for 4 legged hunting or 2 legged personal defense.
    .45 is nothing to shrug at but the range of loading a for the 10mm is nice. I have a Colt DE and a Smith 1006. The Colt gets standard and “warm” .40 cal loads. I try to get maximum velocity with the 1006 using either Power Pistol or AA#9. Blue Dot has been ok as well.

Feedback Score
    I’ll put my vote in for .45 ACP, just because I enjoy shooting .45 ACP. It’s a very easy and forgiving cartridge to load for, brass lasts roughly forever, and powder charges are light, so that 7000gr in each pound of powder will go a long way.

Not downing on 10mm, but if I had to pick one to do first it would be .45 ACP.

Now if I could only pick one caliber for a semi auto that had to cover the most bases for multiple uses: between those two I would pick 10mm.

My suggestion is pick one and go have fun, add the other one to the lineup as your budget allows.

Feedback Score
    G30 Gen 4 should arrive next week.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast