• 1x/4x

6 60.00%
  • 1.5x/6x

4 40.00%

Thread: 1x/4x or 1.5x/6x for .308 SBR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

1x/4x or 1.5x/6x for .308 SBR?

My LMT is on the way from V1tactical. Good news is that it was for a June allocation so it'll be at least a month early (yeah!) but the bad news is that I wasn't really expecting it until July/August so I don't have an optic ready to go.

I've got lpvos and red dots on other rifles but I want to try an elcan for this one. I don't want to get into a discussion about the Elcan vs other options - I've decided I want to try one and if I hate it I'll sell it and go with an lpvo.

This is my first and only semi auto .308 and I mostly want it to be a blaster rather than a precision rifle. I plan to sbr/suppress it so I'll be cutting the barrel to 13.5". Given that - would you choose a 1x/4x Elcan or the 1.5x/6x? Do the ballistics of 308 out of 13.5" barrel negate the need for 6x?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’d opt for the true 1X on the 1-4X on an SBR.
    While you could certainly engage past 3 or 400, I’d think the the downrange ballistics would be less than optimal.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I voted 1.5-6 because I feel thats a more useful application.

Personally I'm not a fan though of the elcan. Im a true believer in the LPVO; but if you REALLY want something else I would do an ACOG with offset red dot. It's in the same price bracket as an elcan and still GWOT certified.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I voted 1-4 as they typically have better eye relief and let you get on the gun faster (all things being equal). On a SBR, I assume the intended role involved up close as well as out to medium distance.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I would go with a 2-10 or 2.5-10 with an offset reflex RDS. Even with a 13.5" barrel a 308 is quite capable out to 500 and the larger objective will gather more light and offer a more forgiving eyebox.

Feedback Score
    Given what the roll is of an SBR, I just have a 1x red dot on mine.

Now I do have a 3x magnifier just in case, but it's not on the gun in a swing away mount.
    I rarely use it, and anticipate that's not gonna change, so it's in a twist off mount, and stays in a pouch til needed.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.