Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 LC Revolver Advice Needed

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

45 LC Revolver Advice Needed

I seek the advice of those here who have fielded the 45 long Colt utilizing modern pressure ammunition. I am not seeking +P performance but at least greater pressure than the Colt SAA can handle. I have the following desires:

1. 4 or 5 inch barrel for hiking deployment from my Hills people chest bag.

2. Darker finish (no glint)

The rest is apples to oranges as I have looked at a SW 25 for the double action option and my general fondness of SW revolvers. I am also intrigued by a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley as long as the barrel length is less than 7.5. I will be reloading for this new revolver and it will complement my SW 6" in 41 magnum.

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Sounds like what you want is the Jerry Miculek #925. Barrel is 4.13 inches long. If you can find one you probably pay a premium for it. It is matte stainless so it may be too shiny for your taste. If money is not an issue then get the S&W. If I was going with Ruger I would search for the Redhawk DA model #5050. Barrel length is 4.2 inches and you can shoot either 45ACP (moon clips) or 45 LC. It is stainless also but you could have it Cerakoted.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    S&W's can handle greater pressures than the SAA, though not by much. Honestly, the original loading of a 250 gr bullet at 900 fps is no slouch. The Mountain Guns are especially handy, and although they didn't make many in blue, the stainless is not super shiny.

Blackhawks and Redhawks can handle very high pressure loads- the Redhawk especially venturing near Casull territory. I find the Bisley models to be very comfortable from a steady position while already cocked but less so when drawing and firing. I am, however, more used to S&W DA and SAA-style grip frames. Blackhawks with the 4 3/4" barrel and Redhawks with the 4.2" are great options. They both handle and carry very well in a chest holster.

Freedom Arms 83's and 97's are exceptional if you're willing to spend the money. The 83's are obviously capable of heavy loads while the 97's are more in line with S&W pressures.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Ruger Redhawk was one that I had not considered. Nice suggestion! I suppose the more I contemplate, the advantage and familiarity of the DA revolver is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The 5" Tolkat Super Redhawk is even nicer as it eliminates the trigger pull stacking found in standard Redhawks. Standard Redhawks also benefit from extra long firing pin installations correcting a common cause of misfire.
    Ruger single actions should receive locking base pins as the factory units can become dislodged under recoil tying up the gun.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I’d like to take credit for Ruger finally releasing a Redhawk in .45lc. I called their customer service and mentioned that model a few months before they released it. I have a Blackhawk convertible in .45 it’s been a nice pistol but I wish I had the Lipseys exclusive Blackhawk Bisley flattop convertible.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have, and have used on Hogs/deer with success the S&W 25-5, S&W M.G., the FA m97 and a Ruger Bisley (cut to 5.5").
    My favorite of the lot are the Mountain Guns due to their double action capability and weight. I have had two occasions where double action was a definite advantage while hog hunting.

My experience for game to 50 yds, a Keith type, 250 gr SWC or a WFNGC at 1,000+- FPS performs about like a .308 on large hogs- given proper shot placement.

Here's link to article on .45 Colt. He was an early advocate of the cartridge, as well as one Hell of a revolver 'smith.

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writing
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    I’d like to take credit for Ruger finally releasing a Redhawk in .45lc. I called their customer service and mentioned that model a few months before they released it. I have a Blackhawk convertible in .45 it’s been a nice pistol but I wish I had the Lipseys exclusive Blackhawk Bisley flattop convertible.
    I hate to ruin your fun, but I bought a Redhawk 4” in in .45Colt like 15 years ago. Cool gun despite the internet’s distaste for the trigger.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That Linebaugh 45 LC article is elusive. I can't find a copy of it anywhere. All links just die...

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    That Linebaugh 45 LC article is elusive. I can't find a copy of it anywhere. All links just die...
    https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings

Try this one. Brian Pearce from Handloader Magazine has a lot of good info on the .45 Colt especially as it pertains from modern revolvers.

If you really wanna get wild, get a Redhawk and a box of 45RHO from Garrett Cartridges. 405 grain slug at 1250 fps.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 05-02-21 at 12:47.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast