Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: CR6920

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Does anyone here have any CR6920s with appreciable use on them, say 5k-10k rounds or more?
    I'm not a fan of videos, it seems that it takes people forever to get to their points. I understand time is money for them, but my time is as well.

I'm interested in what the actual changes are also, and what impact they have. I do NOT feel that Colt needs to do everything in house to keep a quality weapon.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Does anyone here have any CR6920s with appreciable use on them, say 5k-10k rounds or more?
    I have a CR serialed lower and 6960 upper both purchased from Brownell’s separately in 2018 when they were selling just the Colt lowers. I purchased a new Colt BCG from G and R Tactical to put in the upper. This was one of the Colt BCG that was not C stamped. The bolt has MPC markings.

Maybe not quite the same thing but I can tell you with no BS that this upper/lower combo has easy +5000 rounds down it. ZERO issues. This one has a simple T1, SF DF600 light, BCM Mod 3 grip and B5 Bravo stock (all gray), and Proctor sling.

I have another factory complete OEM LE6960 carbine purchased new in January of 2017 that is it’s twin with the same furniture (black) with a Razor Gen 2 E 1x6 on it. This one has all the coveted Colt markings. No BS north of 5000 rds on it. ZERO issues.

I have other manufacturers, including DD, LMT, BCM, and Sionics, but for my non-SBR 16” guns, these are my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arptsprt View Post

I think using the Expanse is a really poor example. Some of the main parts, like the barrel, were not advertised or meant to be milspec. It truly was a budget rifle offered by Colt.

BTW, I really don’t care of your like or dislike of Colt or not. I really don’t. If your assertion is they are not the same quality because they are outsourcing parts, I’d like to know how you know that’s really the case. I did happen to fast forward to the end of the video when...
    Please watch the entire video and listen to what he has to say. After that consider watching the other video that Chris (SAS) did on the Expanse line.

He makes the same exact arguments in both videos as to what the lack of proper markings and obvious outsourcing on particular parts means. Also compares both respectively side by side to LE6920's in the videos...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Please watch the entire video and listen to what he has to say. After that consider watching the other video that Chris (SAS) did on the Expanse line.

He makes the same exact arguments in both videos as to what the lack of proper markings and obvious outsourcing on particular parts means. Also compares both respectively side by side to LE6920's in the videos...
    I turned it off because I couldn’t finish it. But did he actually point to a part that had a problem or was it all about “markings”?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I'm not a fan of videos, it seems that it takes people forever to get to their points. I understand time is money for them, but my time is as well.

I'm interested in what the actual changes are also, and what impact they have. I do NOT feel that Colt needs to do everything in house to keep a quality weapon.
    I tend to agree on both points.

Most all companies outsource parts. If all parts had to be made in-house, a pickup truck would cost $250,000.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    I don’t think PSA is in the same ballpark. Inferior materials, lack of chrome-lining on most parts, poor staking it any, etc.

Bought a few small piles of various 'S' marked trigger parts from PSA a good while back to use as replacement parts for Colts I have here. IIRC I was paying around 25 bucks each for complete FCG kits with S marked triggers and hammers.

Nothing 'wrong' with my Colt parts - I just hate the stupid notches and replace those parts - for the same parts made by the same exact company but without that goofy notch that Colt had them do...

Are the Schmid trigger parts from PSA not in the same ballpark still?

I do not have any tools that will measure how 'smooth' a trigger feels so will not comment on that but I do have tools that measure pull weight and so far, every time I have swapped out a Colt factory phosphate finished hammer for one from same people done in NiB - I lost about a half lb of pull weight instantly keeping all other parts / springs the same.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have an unmarked upper with an unmarked carrier off a CR6920 that’s a couple of years old and it only has a little over 1K through it but it’s not any different than my ones with two more C stamps.

The only thing on these things that really sets ‘em apart IMO is the barrel and bcg. Whatever/whoever does ‘em, does a helluva job and they just run perfectly.

None of mine are even on Colt lowers anymore as I long since sold them off to people valued the markings.
    Last edited by 17K; 05-02-21 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Bought a few small piles of various 'S' marked trigger parts from PSA a good while back to use as replacement parts for Colts I have here. IIRC I was paying around 25 bucks each for complete FCG kits with S marked triggers and hammers.

Nothing 'wrong' with my Colt parts - I just hate the stupid notches and replace those parts - for the same parts made by the same exact company but without that goofy notch that Colt had them do...

Are the Schmid trigger parts from PSA not in the same ballpark still?

I do not have any tools that will measure how 'smooth' a trigger feels so will not comment on that but I do have tools that measure pull weight and so far, every time I have swapped out a Colt factory phosphate finished hammer for one from same people done in NiB - I lost about a half lb of pull weight instantly keeping all other parts / springs the same.
    I’m talking about things like BCGs, barrels, receiver extensions, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Yep. I can do some more than others, especially the technical ones. But most cram 5 minutes of info into 15-40 minutes and just aren't worth the time.

Essentials: A bit of history, bunch of changes to marking norms, they're useful to ID subcontracted components that still should meet spec, those subcontracted components probably don't adversely affect performance, it's an issue for the historians/purists/collectors more than a shooter.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    One thing of interest that was mentioned in the video was that in 2009 the ATF approved Colts request to eliminate the semi-auto bolt carrier.

Was this just a Colt thing? I was under the impression standard carriers were already approved and pretty much the norm?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I think the point made, was that buying an LE6920 meant buying a Colt rifle made with Colt parts, made to the same level of detail/QC that mil/LE guns got. They were worth the money Colt wanted for them because of that. The new CR6920 is assembled using a Roscoe barrel, and other subcontractor parts, and doesn’t have the same QC proof marks as the old mil/LE guns.

Does this mean the CR6920 is a bad gun?Is it worth the $1,200 asking price?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast