Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mk18 zero range

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's hilarious to me how everyone thinks "25 yard" zero won't work. It will absolutely work provided you understand the ballistics you are getting. A 25 yard zero is proxy for a 300 yard zero. I even ran the ballistics for 2650 FPS 55 gr and its still true. Really the only distance the trajectory looked "high" was 7" at 200 yards. That means if you held low on the 6" plate you would still get solid hits.

The area I think most people get lost in the weeds with zero's is that they don't understand when "good enough" is. For example if you are using a 2 moa RDS; that dot is covering 4 inches of the target at 200 yards, and 6 inches of the target at 300. That means the bullet can actually fall or rise a good couple inches in flight and still appear to be POA/POI from the shooter's perspective. Keep in mind we are talking about RED DOTS here. Not optics running 25x-32x magnification.

I prefer to zero my optics at 200; but I have used every other zero under the sun, and just adjusted my holds accordingly. If I only had a 25 yard range to zero on; thats exactly the zero I would use. In fact I would rather have a perfect zero at 25 than a proxy zero for any other range. In fact I hastily zero'd an optic to shoot a long range precision match 2 weeks ago. I literally used a dirt berm than I knew was 200 yards away, and just adjusted turrets until I felt like I was getting POA/POI. I went and shot the match and scored 29/44. A great day for me is like 33-34 hits. I went and actually checked my zero off paper and was 2.5 MOA left. Certainly not a "solid" zero by anyones definition and I was still able to get a fair amount of hits on some really small and far away targets.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nobody said the 25 yard zero "doesn't work", just most of us have evolved a preferrence for other.

OP, I'm firmly in the 50 yard zero camp, even for a shorty. Best of all worlds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    But the OP said in his original post that his local indoor range only goes to 30 yards. Hence; a 25 yard zero is all he can really get.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    But the OP said in his original post that his local indoor range only goes to 30 yards. Hence; a 25 yard zero is all he can really get.
    He actually never stated that he doesn’t have access to longer ranges, while starting a topic asking about shooting further than 25. But, yes, it will work, which no one has denied.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all for the replies. I’d probably prefer a 100 or 50 yard zero but all I had access to was a 30 yard range that day. I’ll take it out to the desert to confirm or adjust zeroes at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Depends on your application…

I use a 36y zero for all my SBRs (10.3s and 11.5s). Seems to do better for CQB type distances. If you’re cloning that’s a different deal.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123