If HK sold just the barrel and that barrel could be fitted with gas; it would be worth whatever they charged. Kraut space magic kraftwerk.

People piss and moan about the 556 “not being chrome lined” and ignore the much more modern, much more environment resistant treatment that allows for greater accuracy than a chromed barrel could ever get.

The piston is kinda dumb and, I seriously believe, an end run around patents. I think the BCG is interesting. It’s a nice rifle and I like mine a lot. It’s my MacBook AR. For the cost, it’s pret à porter as opposed to getting an armorer to wrench on an SPR barrel and handguard etc etc.

But it’s not the ultimate rifle in the world by any means. I would argue that everybody would be better served with gas LMT MRPs because that really is the future. I like KAC but they are still boutique. LMT checks all the boxes, is familiar, and has a better system with DI over piston.

Given enough time, people will wonder why everybody used non mono uppers for so long