Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweden and Finland to jointly adopt new service rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I know that's what you meant by "we". That's what I meant as well; that's why I was talking about HK having to give up patents if the Army were to adopt a 416 variant; we'd likely see multiple quality companies like BCM, DD, etc. making 416 rifles and parts, and thus more affordable options than HK on the civilian market.
    That would be interesting, I would love to see a BCM or DD version of a 416.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    What specifically does the M27 do better than a M4?
    You mean other than costing more?

The M27 is a replacement for the M249 SAW. As I understand the idea the 27 is intended to provide less volume than the SAW but with more accuracy/effectiveness and less chance of collateral damage while providing the auto rifleman a lower signature. The auto rifleman will be carrying upwards of 20 mags, I assume the aar will be carrying extra mags as well. Now, replacing the SAW with a 416 and calling it a light machine gun seems a bit disingenuous, but nobody asked me. 8th and I seems to be happy with the idea.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    What specifically does the M27 do better than a M4?
    I will tell you what they claim; I have no direct knowledge: better/heavier/longer barrel, full auto so no need for M247, they are jumping on gas vice DI, doesn't overheat as much...a handful of other reasons I can't remember.

Feedback Score
    The Corps is also gonna bring in 416s as a DMR. They slap a Mk12 optic on a 416 and call it the M38.

My guess is the Corps wants 100% issue 416s but can't justify it. So they replace several other roles with the 416. Then they can "standardize" to 100% 416 issue as a training and logistical matter.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    The Corps is also gonna bring in 416s as a DMR. They slap a Mk12 optic on a 416 and call it the M38.

My guess is the Corps wants 100% issue 416s but can't justify it. So they replace several other roles with the 416. Then they can "standardize" to 100% 416 issue as a training and logistical matter.
    So....a more expensive SAM-R?

I used a SAM-R, probably one of my favorite guns.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    On a technical note, in conditions of extreme cold does the 416 do better than the M4?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The naming convention is interesting. 2nd Bn. 7th Marines field test the 416 in an automatic rifle role = M27. 3rd Bn. 8th Marines field test the 416 in a DMR role (prior to their deactivation) = M38

Does that mean a human ear can be designated an M19? :P

Feedback Score
    You mean other than costing more?

The M27 is a replacement for the M249 SAW. As I understand the idea the 27 is intended to provide less volume than the SAW but with more accuracy/effectiveness and less chance of collateral damage while providing the auto rifleman a lower signature. The auto rifleman will be carrying upwards of 20 mags, I assume the aar will be carrying extra mags as well. Now, replacing the SAW with a 416 and calling it a light machine gun seems a bit disingenuous, but nobody asked me. 8th and I seems to be happy with the idea.
    According to wikipedia the Marine Corps is replacing the M16/M4 with the M27.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    According to wikipedia the Marine Corps is replacing the M16/M4 with the M27.
    News to me, but I ain't exactly "in the know". I think that's what the leadership wants but I don't know that they can justify the procurement dollars. Hence the end arounds. I gotta say that if you are humping it the 416 is a bad trade for a 249. If I gotta hump it well then they might be onto something.

Feedback Score
    News to me, but I ain't exactly "in the know". I think that's what the leadership wants but I don't know that they can justify the procurement dollars. Hence the end arounds. I gotta say that if you are humping it the 416 is a bad trade for a 249. If I gotta hump it well then they might be onto something.

Replacement of M16/M4[edit]
    In early 2017, Commandant of the Marine Corps General Robert Neller said he wanted to equip every "0311" rifleman with an M27 IAR. Because of that, the Marine Corps issued a request in early 2017 for 11,000 M27 IARs from H&K. While talking about the Corps' request, Chris Woodburn, deputy of the Maneuver Branch, Fires and Maneuver Integration at Marine Corps Combat Development Command, said "The new order will replace all M4s in every infantry squad with an M27, except for the squad leader." He also stated that the change includes infantry training battalions. The timeline for funding was planned for fiscal years 2019 and 2020, with the Corps acquiring some of the rifles in fiscal year 2018. As of August 2017, officials stated that "riflemen are the top priority," but that the M27 "will be in the hands of combat engineers and light armored reconnaissance battalion scouts next." The Corps later issued a pre-solicitation notice for the M27. "The new pre-solicitation notice of 50,184 [M27s]," said Woodburn, "is [meant] to up the production capacity that H&K must be able to meet as the sole-source provider [of the M27], should the Marines decide to order more in the future." At SHOT Show 2018, the Marine Corps announced that the deal with H&K to produce 11,000 M27s for the Marine Corps had been finalized and that the M27 IAR would be adopted as the standard issue service rifle of the Marine Corps infantry, replacing the M4A1.[21][22] In 2019, it was reported that the last of the M27s would arrive at the Marine Corps inventory and are expected to be in the hands of each infantryman from platoon commander and below by mid-2021. Ultimately, the Marines bought just over 14,000 M27s, Manny Pacheco, spokesman for Marine Corps Systems Command, told Marine Corps Times.[2]
    more at link; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M27_In...utomatic_Rifle
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast