Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 vs. Glock -- I have come full-circle

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

1911 vs. Glock -- I have come full-circle

I used to carry a compact 1911 in .45 ACP. Indeed almost 10 years ago I felt so strongly about this that I published these words in M4C:

Too, there may be a psychological component to the 1911 vs. Glock decision.

Consider the man who carries a 1911. He radiates aplomb as he strides through the city. His eye is intrepid, his gait cocksure, his countenance censorious. He need not fight; youthful gangsters feel his presence in their bones a block away.

Now consider the man who chooses to carry a firearm that more closely resembles an iPhone than it does one of John Moses Browning's noble creations. Does he move among the thugs with the same dash?

My compact 1911 has been taken to a gun show and sold. When I set forth, I'm carrying either a G17 or a G19, depending on what I'm wearing. I am much better armed now.

It is possible for even die-hard believers to change their mind in the face of evidence.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I guess it doesn't really matter what we carry as long as we carry. Being

Feedback Score
    I've gone through various 1911's over the years, colt, springfield, nighthawk, dan wesson. Dan I Wesson being the favorite, most accurate and most reliable. Got rid of all them, they are fun classic pistols for the range or training classes. Never trusted them for EDC in the event a severe situation should arise. Walther or Glock for edc.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    I've gone through various 1911's over the years, colt, springfield, nighthawk, dan wesson. Dan I Wesson being the favorite, most accurate and most reliable. Got rid of all them, they are fun classic pistols for the range or training classes. Never trusted them for EDC in the event a severe situation should arise. Walther or Glock for edc.
    I CCWd a gubment 1911 or an officer length for a decade +, took courses, competed in IDPA, had three custom pistols made, etc with my beloved 1911s. All gone now. When the M&P with Apex trigger etc came along, and there was now 1911-like ergos, good trigger, in a dead simple double stack 9mm - and knowing also that the terminal ballistics of modern JHPs were essentially the same - I could no longer ignore the plastic wonder pistols.

For me, the HKVP9 took that to the next level, and I never looked back.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I CCWd a gubment 1911 or an officer length for a decade +, took courses, competed in IDPA, had three custom pistols made, etc with my beloved 1911s. All gone now. When the M&P with Apex trigger etc came along, and there was now 1911-like ergos, good trigger, in a dead simple double stack 9mm - and knowing also that the terminal ballistics of modern JHPs were essentially the same - I could no longer ignore the plastic wonder pistols.

For me, the HKVP9 took that to the next level, and I never looked back.
    Try the Lobos trigger in the VP9 with the HK parts lighter spring. Magnifique!
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I used to carry a compact 1911 in .45 ACP. Indeed almost 10 years ago I felt so strongly about this that I published these words in M4C:

Too, there may be a psychological component to the 1911 vs. Glock decision.

Consider the man who carries a 1911. He radiates aplomb as he strides through the city. His eye is intrepid, his gait cocksure, his countenance censorious. He need not fight; youthful gangsters feel his presence in their bones a block away.

Now consider the man who chooses to carry a firearm that more closely resembles an iPhone than it does one of John Moses Browning's noble creations. Does he move among the thugs with the same dash?
    I hope that you still radiate aplomb despite carrying an iphonesque gun nowadays. English is a second language here so I admire your prose. The thread title says full circle; I thought it meant abandoning and then returning to an original position. May we say that you have made a semi-circle?

I have started to shoot a 1911 more often as I have found myself in a situation of having stocked more .45 ammo than 9. More accurately, my 9 expenditures were higher than 45 and my current 9 stock isn't sufficient to support 25K/year schedule, but I digress. As I shot .45 (in my world .45=1911) more, I found myself carrying 1911 more often although the summertime has a say in this too. I've my preferences but at this point I also don't give much damn about what I carry as long as I do. My gait is less cocksure with a 1911 tho, simply because its weight.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dude it’s just a gun. A stupid ass gun. John Moses Browning didn’t make it out of some reverence. He was doing it for money.

Honestly, I like a 1911 but it is a toy. If they passed some bullshit law that you could have only one pistol the rest of your life it would unhesitatingly be the G45. It does absolutely everything:

-Red dot
    -Compact
    -Lightweight
    -Large mag supply chain
    -Reliable
    -Weaponlight
    -Accurate

They are just toys, dude. Even a pistol is dumb as hell. If I could get away with it; I’d carry an 11.5 AR everywhere

Feedback Score
    I got this one! 😆

https://youtu.be/g751-jjKXC0?t=32
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-08-21 at 09:08.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Firefly

They are just toys, dude. Even a pistol is dumb as hell. If I could get away with it; I’d carry an 11.5 AR everywhere[/QUOTE]

We only carry pistols because it is social unacceptable to carry a rifle. Or because we are too lazy to carry a rifle.

In Israel where it is socially acceptable to carry a shoulder fired weapon 90% of the time mine was some type of M16. 10% either a mini or micro Uzi, of course I also carried my pistol as a backup.

But they are not what wins fights, I am what wins fights.

I have told of the time I took a round to my rifle destroying it, I carried on with my Hi Power and finished the mission.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Firefly and yoni speak truths.

Some of my guns are range toys. .357 revolver, 1911, Glock 44, Ruger .22 target pistol.

Some are for self protection. G17 and G19.

Both have their place.

17+1 is better than 6+1.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 05-07-21 at 01:39.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast