Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 vs. Glock -- I have come full-circle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At this point a gun is a gun is a gun is a gun.

I've carried a 19 for over a decade. Before that another 9mm double stack. Since 2001. Honestly I would have been much more comfortable with a Derringer and would have had about the same amount of use. When I decide to move to actual Somalia or Afghan border lands then I might change my mind. Until then.....USP45, G19, S&W 27, J-frame, ... 45 works, 9 works.... whatever. I can drive a Smart for two as easily as I can a GMC dually. The both get me to the same place at the same time

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 05-07-21 at 19:23.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Uni-Vibe;2948202]
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I’ll go a step further, if one “had” to have a 1911, get a 9MM one or a 2011. It took me almost 20 years to outgrow .45 ACP. It’s an interesting cartridge and fun to shoot, but irrelevant for what it is.

But even then, Glock is still the easy button. If not Glock then HK.

It’s sad how much my formative gun decisions were made due to brainwashing or some dude saying “because I said so”.

Like I found out the hard way that police departments do actually pick their guns because some guy “said so” and it wasn’t too expensive. I wasn’t into guns when I started out. I just did what I was told. I did gravitate towards ARs and Glocks. I had the right answer at a nascent level, but listened to people above me who didn’t.[/QUOTEy]

Firefly knows.

When I had the Glock epiphany, I quickly got a G21 for range fun. I like reloading. 45 and it's fun to shoot at the range. 45 is to shoot with your friends; 9mm is to shoot at your enemies. If I carried a 1911 it would be 9mm.

45 doesn't do anything on jackers that 9mm won't do.

Oh, and Det-sog: I hated Glocks until I tried Gen 5. Glock is much better now.
    Got my Staccato because I like 9mm, but I impressed with the trigger and the 2011 platform...

I would rather have 16 rounds than 8..

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Peoples views are amusing to watch; I have no doubt that mine provide some amusement to others. I would agree that a 1911 doesn't make a lot of sense these days.

What makes even less sense to me is a 1911 in 9 mm.

Feedback Score
    I had a TRP once. It was a good gun. Around the same time I bought an HK45c. As a wedding present I received a set of 1911 grips carved by a craftsman from elk antler, but they weren't made for a 1911 with an ambi safety. They didn't fit. Less than a year later I sold the TRP because I needed the money, fully intending to one day get another 1911 that would be my forever gun with those elk antler grips.

It's now been 10 years. Because I'm a former Marine I had my eye on an M45A1, but cost has prevented me from getting another gun of any kind, let alone a 1911. The 1911 is an enigma to me. It's reliable enough, if you have the right magazines, if the extractor is made from the right kind of steel and has been properly tuned, if it's hand fitted, if you do your own smithing . . . if, if, if. It was a watershed moment for me this year, moving on in my mind from the 1911 to . . . the gun I already own, the HK45c. No ifs involved. Now I've had the HK longer than I've owned any gun, with no plans to replace it. It's a good feeling, liking what you already have.
    Last edited by QuadBomb; 05-08-21 at 06:53.

Feedback Score
    I prefer a double action carry mode and first shot with no manual safety engaged so that rules out 1911 style carry guns for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've tried to like a Glock, I really, really wanted to like the Glock but they just don't work for me. Someday I would like to try one of the Gen 5 models, without buying it of course. I've heard they work for those who tried past iterations with no joy.
    My Colt .38 super has worked very well for the past 8-9 years. Now it splits time between being a .38 super, 9mm and .22

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I've tried to like a Glock, I really, really wanted to like the Glock but they just don't work for me. Someday I would like to try one of the Gen 5 models, without buying it of course. I've heard they work for those who tried past iterations with no joy.
    My Colt .38 super has worked very well for the past 8-9 years. Now it splits time between being a .38 super, 9mm and .22
    I never liked Glock and never owned one myself, and it was not until the M&P with Apex trigger kit did I and others make that change to polymer wonder pistols. There's now so many great choices, Glock does not even need to be considered if you are not a Glock fan boy.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I've tried to like a Glock, I really, really wanted to like the Glock but they just don't work for me
    That's me. My Sigs work for me, as does my S&W J-frame.

Sure... I "could" get used to a Glock but have no desire to or need to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. As someone else here has in their signature... Liking a Glock is Stockholm syndrome...
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I never understood the Glock hate:

“The grip is bad”
    —The grip was designed to mimic that of the original arched 1911

“The trigger sucks”
    — The trigger is a consistent 5.5lbs

“It’s too blocky”
    —The slide is the only blocky thing about it and has no bearing on the grip

“It has no soul”
    —it’s designed to launch 9mm, sweetie

“It just sucks”
    — Everybody uses it and I want to be different

There are prettier guns, guns with nicer triggers, guns that cost more, and guns that will make people think you are cool online.

But I just want something that works and I don’t mind being separated from for a couple years should it be taken as evidence

Everybody comes up with Glock hate but cannot point to a legitimate flaw or failing.

Lemme guess “brass to face”. That has never happened to me from Gen 2 to Gen 5.

But okay

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    One can never forget how personal a handgun is. Like a modern sword, part weapon, part status symbol. For my part, I just want a pistol that works, is relatively light, has decent ammunition capacity, that I can find holsters, etc for, and is affordable and common enough to write off if I ever need to use it for self defense.

I don't "like" Glocks, but a G19 ended up being the practical choice.

I like S&W DA revolvers and 1911s, for what its worth.

Andy

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast