Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 vs. Glock -- I have come full-circle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    The only reason I don't use a Glock is that every Glock I ever shot would shoot left of center. DAO revolvers, DA/SA pistols, SAO pistols don't do that in my hands. Off the bench slightly left of center but the faster I went the more left it goes. I wanted to like a Glock and I tried several over the years, especially since I got blue label pricing, but it just didn't work. Plenty of choices out there and I have yet to try a VP9.
    Perfectly stated. That's me. 100%. They are not for me and not worth dealing with as I already have reliable Sigs.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    Perfectly stated. That's me. 100%. They are not for me and not worth dealing with as I already have reliable Sigs.
    That's the awesome thing about this day in age, there are so many great reliable pistols out there from so many manufacturers, that people can shoot what works best for them. I would consider myself fairly young at 37 years old, but even I remember 15 years ago the list of 'reliable' pistols I would recommend was much smaller. Now, when friends ask me what pistols they should pick from, i have to write a fairly long list. Definitely not a bad problem to have.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    The only reason I don't use a Glock is that every Glock I ever shot would shoot left of center...Off the bench slightly left of center but the faster I went the more left it goes.
    Can't phrase it any better to show that it is a shooter issue, not Glock's. Gun itself shoots the same whether the shooter goes slow off the bench or fast off hand. Worsened deviation at higher speed is a sign of shooter's error.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Can't phrase it any better to show that it is a shooter issue, not Glock's. Gun itself shoots the same whether the shooter goes slow off the bench or fast off hand. Worsened deviation at higher speed is a sign of shooter's error.
    It only happens with one gun, then it would seem it's a shooter error when shooting Glocks. I found same as many others have. I don't know what it is specific to Glocks that cause it, but a very common observation of shooters coming from other brands to Glock. With adjustments by the shooter, no doubt it is corrected, but for me, I found for example the Vp9 the most accurate polymer pistol I have every shot of the box, second only to the 1911s I had. The M&P with Apex, while I liked that pistol quite a bit in terms of ergos, and such, was awful for accuracy past typical SD distances. Even bench rested at 25 yards, groups were mess. Supposedly later M&Ps improved there.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    That's been my experience, too. (Just Glocks)

What I think helped most of all was improving grip texture. It seemed to be an issue caused by a sweaty, slick grip IME.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    It only happens with one gun, then it would seem it's a shooter error when shooting Glocks. I found same as many others have.
    There's is something about Glocks that make it easier for the shooter to push shots laterally. Many speculated what that might be; I personally think it is trigger safety thingy but I am not certain. However, the guns themselves mechanically shoot straight. Every strong dedicated Glock shooter I know has their sights dead centered and the more I shoot mine, the less I need to drift rear sight. VP9 and P320 is easier to shoot straight in my experience but, again, Glocks shoot straight too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am right handed and if I shoot a Glock with the trigger finger indexed with the trigger opposite of the quick of the fingernail, I find I shoot left of center at 25 meters. When I am teaching a course and a shooter pushes their shots left with a Glock, I recommend indexing the trigger finger on the trigger farther away from the tip of the finger. Personally, I shoot best with the trigger finger pushed in past the first distal joint. This technique works at ranges beyond 100 meters.

A 1911 shooter may find this difficult to adapt to doing. A seasoned revolver shooter generally finds it easy.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    To be fair, a retired person doesn’t have to knock out Failure Drills and Mozambique drills. Retired means you can do what you like.

People who grew up on revolvers have a lot of muscle memory built up and back in the 70s and 80s nobody really thought police would be going to autopistols except for SWAT teams.

Watch some old Cop show....if the detective sits at his desk and pulls out a 1911 or Beretta then it meant he was going renegade. It was somewhat scandalous for Crockett to have that automatic that he had.

It was a different time and to totally forget it happened would be ignorant. I can see why some may prefer a DA/SA. My first duty weapon was a 45 Smith that only held 8 rounds per magazine and was heavy. I adopted Glock as soon as I can but not everybody who carries professionally is a “gun guy”. I certainly wasn’t. I had to learn with what I was given.

He found the gun he likes and it’s all in good fun. I won’t fault him at all.

If I live to retire all I am carrying is a G43X. I’m just wearing shorts and slides the rest of my life.
    I've a feeling that if a SUV-load of Jackboyz showed up with bad intent, and all Firefly had was the single shot black powder pistol carried by Blackbeard, he'd find a way to shut 'em down.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Call it a shooter issue if you will, I won't say you're wrong but it only happens with Glocks [and me]. I shot the same G17 for a year and one day at the range I conducted some simple pistol drills with the G17 I had been shooting exclusively for a year and my DA/SA CZ 75. The CZ won handily, cold with only a magazine familiarization fire. There are so many good choices out there that there is no reason to sweat the fact that Glocks and I don't get on well.

Feedback Score
    Probably heading this way soon myself. Some sort of Glock variant in 9X19 just to be able to use cheap magazines, and not ride the slide stop with my thumb or support hand palm. I’ve not had an issue with getting a Glock to lock back, so it’s that or a 1911 since the slide stop lever on those is also not prone to me riding.

Probably just get a Shadow Systems MR920 because everything is already done and it won’t need parts thrown at it to make it ready to go.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast