Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Manurhin revolvers

Feedback Score
    OK here is my first world problem. I carry a semi auto day to day. I want a MR 73 - want - not need. Instinctively i am thinking a 4inch just for the general utility. What is the gain of going to a 5.5 in terms of range, energy...

General use will be sport and recreation. Don't envision fighting with a full size wheel gun.

D
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KTR03 View Post
    OK here is my first world problem. I carry a semi auto day to day. I want a MR 73 - want - not need. Instinctively i am thinking a 4inch just for the general utility. What is the gain of going to a 5.5 in terms of range, energy...

General use will be sport and recreation. Don't envision fighting with a full size wheel gun.

D
    For me it’s a range toy, I’m not carrying it, so the long barrel balances better for target work, and the longer barrel and line of sight make it more accurate. I shoot a lot at 25 meters and sometimes at 50 meters, and I am a lot more comfortable doing it with six inch revolvers. In fact I sold a few 4 inch S&W and Colt that I didn’t use much.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Probably worth knowing that Manurhin has sold MR73s in the past both with 9mm cylinders (in addition to the 357 Magnum cylinder) and in 9mm.

My understanding, which may be flawed, is that the cylinders could be had separately. So it's possible that Beretta may bring those in.

IIRC, like the Korth 9mm cylinders, no moon clip is required for function and extraction of 9mm with the MR73 9mm cylinders.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score

D
    The main advantage with the longer barrel will be a bit more weight out front to mitigate recoil, and maybe picking up 25-50fps depending on ammo. Maybe not even that much, a fast 4” barrel is perfectly capable of running higher velocities than a 5.25” and all barrels are different. Barrel cylinder gap probably has more affect than 1.25” difference in barrel length past 4” of barrel.

The other advantage for recreational shooting will be the front sight on the 5.25” being a patridge style blade instead of a ramp. That will give a nice dead black front sight for target work.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

D
    Longer sight radius, perhaps balance and recoil mitigation would be the advantages. Personally, I feel the revolver look better with 5" barrels.

Feedback Score
    I am a firearms importer and a few Manurhin revolvers went through my hands. I am also and avid shooter and reloader. The MR88 is based on the Ruger SP101 and the only advantage that I found that the MR88 had over the SP101 was the extra round inn the cylinder.
    The MR73 was developed my Manurhin on request of Raymond Sassia. Raymond had trained with the NYPD and developed a respect for fixed sight medium frame revolvers. He had ordered a special run of 500 S&W 19 in 3 inches with fixed sights. It is one of the rarest S&W models according to a factory letter. A few guns were sold to the civilain market and I inherited one. The MR73 combines the best of S&W and Korth revolvers in it and it is a fine gun. I have a few Korths, Manurhin 73s and the Chapuis MR73s I have seen and shot were all GTG.

Raymond Sassia Special

MR73 service

Mulhouse MR
    Last edited by Andyd; 05-22-21 at 17:36.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123