Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried loading 223 subs?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Has anyone tried loading 223 subs?

I've seen there are a few manufacturers who are successfully producing 223 subs that don't squib and actually seem to cycle. I was wondering how they are doing it, and how a home loader might be able to replicate it. Are they using some kind of filler to take up the extra case volume, or are they using a powder that just takes up that much space?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I can't imagine a more pointless reloading endeavor.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I can't imagine a more pointless reloading endeavor.
    Maybe I want to shoot my Mk18 without hearing pro when practicing at close range. Maybe I might like to do some night shooting with the nods without the neighbors calling in noise complaints from two sections over in the next county.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I put some thought into this a while back, and decided not to mess with it. I tried Atomic “Cycling Subsonic”. It was like 102gr, but it keyholed badly in my 1/7 12.3”. It definitely didn’t cycle, either, but I didn’t try it with the can. DocSherm said he had success with their ammo.

Speer makes a heavy RNSP. I wonder if that might be a good projectile choice. Maybe you could try Trailboss with pillow guts.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Yes and quiet is possible, but no cycling in my attempts.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I do a lot of subsonic reloading. Such as 300Blck, 9mm, .458SOCOM, .308, .44 special, etc.

Mostly bolt action but have AR15 set up specifically for subsonic in .300black, 9mm, .45acp, and .458.

I never tried loading subsonic .223 for an AR15.
    But if I did, I would use a heavy ( long) bullet like a 77 grain, pistol powder like H110 with filler, and preferably an adjustable gas regulator. I would experiment with lighter buffer weights. Possibly a silencer to add backpressure.

I would expect a lot of failure to cycle, failure to feed.
    Also bullet keyholing.

Good luck and please update if you find a workable solution.
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 05-09-21 at 21:08.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It would be easier just to get a .22 conversion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    It would be easier just to get a .22 conversion.
    Have one, but it's not the same. And they get the rifle FILTHY! I mean failed trigger resets within 200 rounds kind of filthy, and it schmoos up the gas tube and everything, too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I put some thought into this a while back, and decided not to mess with it. I tried Atomic “Cycling Subsonic”. It was like 102gr, but it keyholed badly in my 1/7 12.3”. It definitely didn’t cycle, either, but I didn’t try it with the can. DocSherm said he had success with their ammo.

Speer makes a heavy RNSP. I wonder if that might be a good projectile choice. Maybe you could try Trailboss with pillow guts.
    Keyholling would be fine. I just want to shoot steel inside 50 yards.

How do they load such a heavy projectile? I didn't think it was even possible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    Yes and quiet is possible, but no cycling in my attempts.
    Were squibs a problem? Did you use some kind of fill to take up case volume?

I was thinking about the cycling thing, maybe I could try using a super light buffer, spring, and aluminum carrier. That's no more commitment than using my .22 conversion, and it wouldn't get things so dirty.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast