Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mig Ally vid

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Mig Ally vid

Great vid here. I learned something too: the Soviets secretly had their best pilots flying the N. Korean migs at times. I was not aware of that. The epic dog fight between a F-86 Sabre pilot and Mig flown by a Soviet pilot is right out of a movie:

- Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Yeah, great video and very informative. Seen it a couple of times.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Yeah, great video and very informative. Seen it a couple of times.
    Really the end of an era for up close and personal dogfight like that and another secret proxy war/testing ground between the us and the Soviets.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Really the end of an era for up close and personal dogfight like that and another secret proxy war/testing ground between the us and the Soviets.
    That's for sure. The speed of the planes went up from say 350-400 knots in WWII to around 550-600 knots in these jets, but you still were using guns only. You had to really get in close to hit and be hit. A boxing match in the skies. The tactics weren't much different than those developed in WWI.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    That's for sure. The speed of the planes went up from say 350-400 knots in WWII to around 550-600 knots in these jets, but you still were using guns only. You had to really get in close to hit and be hit. A boxing match in the skies. The tactics weren't much different than those developed in WWI.
    And the same armament! 6 50cals.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

My Maternal Uncle (RIP) was a Squadron leader in Korea flying F86’s.
    On the rare occasion I could get him to speak of his service he did say it was common knowledge the Russians fielded pilots, using Korea as a proving grounds.

I saw some of his gun camera footage, it was sporty.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

My Maternal Uncle (RIP) was a Squadron leader in Korea flying F86’s.
    On the rare occasion I could get him to speak of his service he did say it was common knowledge the Russians fielded pilots, using Korea as a proving grounds.

I saw some of his gun camera footage, it was sporty.
    The F86 was not gonna win any beauty contests, but pilots spoke highly of them from what I have read. Did he ever say anything about the plane?
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    He mentioned it could take a fair amount of abuse and stay in the air.

He also described flying along the Yalu River and seeing a “North Korean” airfield with Migs on the ground and no one scrambling to engage them. I forget what he said the kill ratio was for the US, but remember it was substantially in our favor.
    As they shipped out, his Squadron all grew Handlebar mustaches (as best they could), with the agreement they’d all shave, have a beer and celebrate when they got home.
    Uncle Bill wore his mustache all his life, as he was the only one from his squad that made it back.

Wish there were more like him still around.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This one is good, but frustrating, as they had decided not to train for dog fighting, had a jet not well suited for the job, weapons systems that were 10% reliable, had their hands tied by the D heads in Washington, and still managed to kick a$$ and take names

- Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    That Robbie Risner was the shiznit! Loved watching that guy in the video. I thought I had heard his name before and realized it was because I had heard the story of him being captured later in Vietnam.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast