Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Mig Ally vid

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    117
    Feedback Score
    0
    I was watching Mig Alley videos and wow these pilots were amazing. I didn’t realize that F86 Sabre had radar gun sights on later models. They had 6 .50 caliber machine guns that fired armor piercing incendiary rounds.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,200
    Feedback Score
    0
    when I was in HS I found a movie reel in my dads room one time with a bunch of his photo stuff
    took it in to film class and was some of his gun/wing footage in Korea was really hard to make out old and rough footage but pretty cool stuff

    he and my uncle (twins and both pilots together the whole time) took a lot of photos over there though has some cool stuff a lot of just fun daily life











    argus box #6 slide18.jpg

    3.jpg
    2.jpg

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,301
    Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    Great pics Honu.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms, as well as the major Food Groups.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,200
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Great pics Honu.
    Yeah he had some good stuff thanks
    I recently scanned in all his old stuff so he could go through and see them again
    My dad is still around just shy of 90 and drives a BMW M3 mostly and some other nice cars but he was always into cars still has that fighter pilot adrenalin thing going

    Yeah that pic of your uncle was the classic to when you said gun camera I was like hahahahaah OH WOW I wonder how many got copies ? Maybe more than I thought
    I know my dads as said was pretty rough to make out I was in HS then so think it was 1980 when I saw his

    did your uncle end up staying in or did he go commercial after the war ? Seems so many went commercial both my uncle and dad did but he was in for a bit as instructor and did some test pilot stuff that has some insane/funny stories with that

    I know my dad said what was fun back then as they could take their planes out and just fly etc... had good stories of stuff

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,301
    Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    Uncle Bill flew with Col. James Jabara in Korea. (Jabara was a stud)
    Jabara lived in our town in his later years.

    “Jabby” enlisted Uncle Bills Service in the Six Day War flying for the Israelis.
    (Of course that was illegal, but something he believed was the “right thing”)

    He moved to Central America, ultimately landing in Honduras. He trained pilots there, worked for the government and married his wife he met there.
    He/they spoke Spanish or German at home, and wife Bessie learned English when they moved back to the States. (My sisters and I thought it funny that all the dogs and cats “spoke” Spanish too, none of them would respond to us if we spoke English)
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms, as well as the major Food Groups.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Where The Wind Never Blows, Wyoming
    Posts
    2,007
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Crew cut, G-Suit, black boots, flight suit, 1911 in leather US embossed shoulder holster, and no smile. THAT is so BADASS!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Where The Wind Never Blows, Wyoming
    Posts
    2,007
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    The F86 was not gonna win any beauty contests, but pilots spoke highly of them from what I have read. Did he ever say anything about the plane?
    For me the F-86 was a just gorgeous. Small cross section fuselage, sweptback wings, excellent canopy vision, fast, and agile. It's a "beauty in the eyes of the beholder" kind of thing. I was able to sit in one 40 years ago at an Air Force museum outside Omaha. It was an outside display. Climbed up the ladder and got in, and thought My Lord this is a small cockpit. Those pilots must have literally worn this fighter into combat.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,783
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    For me the F-86 was a just gorgeous. Small cross section fuselage, sweptback wings, excellent canopy vision, fast, and agile. It's a "beauty in the eyes of the beholder" kind of thing. I was able to sit in one 40 years ago at an Air Force museum outside Omaha. It was an outside display. Climbed up the ladder and got in, and thought My Lord this is a small cockpit. Those pilots must have literally worn this fighter into combat.
    To be sure. To me, looks functional enough vs say a modern day version of fast and agile, like the F16, which is a flying work of art.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    13,379
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    Crew cut, G-Suit, black boots, flight suit, 1911 in leather US embossed shoulder holster, and no smile. THAT is so BADASS!
    I must agree. The only thing more based would be a S&W Model 1917 with nudie grips.

    I like these old pictures. B&W makes it seem like an eternity ago and the only social resonance is the show MASH which made it a mockery.

    Sometimes, if you weren’t thinking about it, these could be people today or maybe 20 years ago now that everything is a mess.

    I will never forget the first time We We Soldiers came out. I saw it with a person of that time frame (he is now long passed). I was younger and lamented how fake everything looked. I said it looked so artificial and chintsy and “too new”. I grew up on Platoon and such and thought things were naturally grimy and worn. He corrected me with his hoarse, but kind voice

    “That’s what everything looked like. New. Clean. People went to war in starched uniforms and shined boots. And the hills were pretty and the sky was very blue.”

    Just hearing that really was good for me.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,200
    Feedback Score
    0
    Very cool

    Not really related I lived in Honduras for a year back in the 90s doing some work but freaking beautiful country its so sad its crime is out of control the regular folks are proud and very good people again the bad ones like here are just bad

    Funny about the dogs

    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Uncle Bill flew with Col. James Jabara in Korea. (Jabara was a stud)
    Jabara lived in our town in his later years.

    “Jabby” enlisted Uncle Bills Service in the Six Day War flying for the Israelis.
    (Of course that was illegal, but something he believed was the “right thing”)

    He moved to Central America, ultimately landing in Honduras. He trained pilots there, worked for the government and married his wife he met there.
    He/they spoke Spanish or German at home, and wife Bessie learned English when they moved back to the States. (My sisters and I thought it funny that all the dogs and cats “spoke” Spanish too, none of them would respond to us if we spoke English)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •