Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What weight buffer?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you have the time/ammo to spend...

What I always recommend is trying a C, H, H2 (at least) with a broad range of ammo and suppressed/unsuppressed (if applicable) to find which works best in your gun.

My default suggestion for any non-military shooters is H for the carbine-length and C for the middy. I believe that these combinations give the best results over the broadest range of barrel and ammo brands.

eta:
    Buffer weights

Last edited by rob_s; 07-04-09 at 11:11.

Feedback Score
    So what buffer would you guys reccomend with a 1-9 twist 16inch barrel shooting mostly 55grn and some 75 grn rounds? Or should I just stick with the factory S&W M&P 15 buffer. I want reliabilty after 10 rounds or after 500,but want the weapon to last. Not trying to hijack the thread.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpacker21 View Post
    So what buffer would you guys reccomend with a 1-9 twist 16inch barrel shooting mostly 55grn and some 75 grn rounds? Or should I just stick with the factory S&W M&P 15 buffer. I want reliabilty after 10 rounds or after 500,but want the weapon to last. Not trying to hijack the thread.
    Does it short stroke? Are you having cycling issues with any of the mentioned ammo?

Feedback Score
    I have a 16" middy with a suppressor; It shoots great with any combination of buffer and ammo without the can.

I had an Enidine in it I took out to make locking the bolt back less of a PITA, but I've found that it really did reduce sight movement while shooting quite a bit, kept the weapon a bit cleaner shooting suppressed, and even seemed to lead to a little less gas venting out the receiver. And, most importantly, I find that suppressed with a CAR buffer a number of my USGI mags get nose-dive failures to feed. No Pmag problems. Needless to say I'll be going back to the Enidine.

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by sandpacker21; 12-10-08 at 15:17.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpacker21 View Post
    Run the CAR buffer that came with it until if gives you problems.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Run the CAR buffer that came with it until if gives you problems.
    i saw this same advice some while back,,,,what will the "problems" be??? what to look for ??? got about 500 rnds through a s&w, but, i mostly carry it under the back seat of my z-71,,,,you never know,,,,,

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    i saw this same advice some while back,,,,what will the "problems" be??? what to look for ??? got about 500 rnds through a s&w, but, i mostly carry it under the back seat of my z-71,,,,you never know,,,,,
    Extraction problems not solved with a new extractor etc.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 12-10-08 at 20:29.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Based on Kevin's info, would the best default for a 20" with a collapsible stock be the H2...

or would that only be true if you shoot mil spec ammo exclusively, and H1 otherwise?

Or...since the C is recommended with the middy, would a C also be fine for the 20, due to even lower pressure?

Feedback Score
    Maybe one of you guys can help.....

I read something about trying to get the case ejection as close to the 3:00 position as possible, any truth to this? (in regards to buffer weight selection)

I just tried out my LMT MRP 16" middy and with M193 it throws the cases 2:00 with the carbine buffer and 3:00 with the 'H' buffer.

This was done with a clean rifle.

I have not experienced any malfunctions yet with this rifle, just trying to get it as reliably set up as possible.
    Last edited by HardBoiled; 01-19-09 at 06:08.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast