Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best method to install extractor springs???

Feedback Score

Best method to install extractor springs???

Of course I've read the tech manual and it says to push down while turning clockwise... I have no problem with the pushing down part, but the turning clockwise part is a bit of an impossibility with such a small spring. So what's the secret to get them to snap down in and not be crooked looking and actually be seated straight? Since just pushing down on the spring alone never really seems to do it, I've thought about using needle nose pliers to actually be able to grab on to the spring to be able to turn it while pushing down, though I have a feeling I'd probably just end up slipping off and loosing and/or damaging the spring in the prosses.

Needless to say, any helpful tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I usually just sit the spring in the bolt, sit the extractor on top of it, and press down enough to reinstall the extractor pin. Remove extractor again to verify.

That usually provides enough force to reinstall the spring in the extractor. The toughest part is getting and keeping everything lined up.
    Shooter like Kukoč

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by phixion View Post
    I usually just sit the spring in the bolt, sit the extractor on top of it, and press down enough to reinstall the extractor pin. Remove extractor again to verify.

That usually provides enough force to reinstall the spring in the extractor. The toughest part is getting and keeping everything lined up.
    This is also what I do. If it won’t snap on like that, check that a piece of the old spring hasn’t broken off and stayed in the extractor.

One of the coolest things about the LMT superbolt is how they drop right in.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Same here and flick the o-ring in the garbage.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Of course I've read the tech manual and it says to push down while turning clockwise... I have no problem with the pushing down part, but the turning clockwise part is a bit of an impossibility with such a small spring. So what's the secret to get them to snap down in and not be crooked looking and actually be seated straight? Since just pushing down on the spring alone never really seems to do it, I've thought about using needle nose pliers to actually be able to grab on to the spring to be able to turn it while pushing down, though I have a feeling I'd probably just end up slipping off and loosing and/or damaging the spring in the prosses.

Needless to say, any helpful tips or tricks would be appreciated.
    I just push down with my thumb and turn it slightly while pushing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Same here and flick the o-ring in the garbage.
    Yep, the O-rings are absolutely useless... Especially when I only use the Colt copper colored extractor springs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    I just push down with my thumb and turn it slightly while pushing.
    Unfortunately my thumbs are not manly enough to do that. Though I wonder if using one of those big pink erasers would work for this? Seems like they might offer enough grip to give it the twist listed in the manual.

Also, I seem to remember Iraqgunz mentioning using a modified pair of needle nose pliers for the extractor spring, but I'm not sure what was modified?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Unfortunately my thumbs are not manly enough to do that. Though I wonder if using one of those big pink erasers would work for this? Seems like they might offer enough grip to give it the twist listed in the manual.

Also, I seem to remember Iraqgunz mentioning using a modified pair of needle nose pliers for the extractor spring, but I'm not sure what was modified?
    A piece of wood would work I suppose.

If I were to modify some pliers, I would cut a 0.125 hole across the jaws so you cam compress the bottom coil to 0.125 (the size of the hole in the extractor) then push down with something firm.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    This works really nicely.

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I tried using my Knipex parallel jaw pliers to just push straight down on the spring today and I did get the spring to seat... Not sure I liked how it felt though. I expected more of a clicking into place type of feeling, but it was more of a slow "gushy" finally gave in sort of feeling.

I don't think I damaged the spring though and I actually oiled the large end of the spring so it would pop down in easier.

BTW, I also tried using an eraser but it was too soft.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast