Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun: Sept 11-12, Spencer, TN

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hmm - not sure why dropbox screwed up the title slide in the video. Everything else looks fine, so all it's missing is 2 seconds of this. Strange...

Title Pic.png

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I'd probably pay up to $200 for a Little Bird flight, though that depends on length of flight (I know gas ain't cheap). Maybe look at how much people pay at air shows to go up in some of the old WW2 prop jets? Or the cost of a civilian tourism helo ride (like in Hawaii or something).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am excited to announce that the mighty Sean Murphy with will be donating twelve hours of his time to both help you get better at RNG and raise money for SFA!

The theory here is that if you're signed up for the 5k, you come a day early and pay Sean $100 for 6 hours of "RNG tune up" training on Friday, then go out and crush your run on Saturday. Similarly, if you're signed up for the 10k, show up a day early for 6 hours of training on Saturday, then crush your 10k run on Sunday. All proceeds from the classes go to SFA. Sean also has an option to buy ammo for the class at his cost if you're having trouble finding enough in this crazy market - if you have plenty, bring your own, but if you want to buy it he can supply it.

Be sure to register and pay for the correct class to lock in your slot ASAP - there are very limited spaces and they'll sell out quick!

Click here to register for the 5k Training Class on Friday, September 10th: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rng-ski...s-158310179007

Click here to register for the 10k Training Class on Saturday, September 11th: ​https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rng-ski...s-158291984587

And for anyone who doesn't know Sean - he's a national level top ranked competitor in several different disciplines, highly skilled, and a helluva nice guy to boot. Here's just a few of his wins from last year alone:

Mammoth Sniper Challenge - 1st Place, Toughman
    Bushnell Elite Tactical Sniper Challenge - 1st Place, LRRP
    Competition Dynamics Team Rifle/Carbine Challenge - 1st Place
    Legion 9/11 Memorial Run-n-Gun 10k - 1st Place
    17 South Sweat N’ Bullets Run-n-Gun 5k - 1st Place
    The Gun Run-Clinton House Run-n-Gun 5k - 1st Place
    Panteo DMR Match - 1st Place

$100 is a STEAL for ONE HOUR of training time with him. For six hours this is laughable. Jump on it now before someone beats you to it!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We've had some questions about armor details for Operator Class, and all the great options on the market now make this more difficult than ever. The guiding principle should be: "WOULD YOU WEAR THIS TO WAR???"

Rifle rated armor plates (front and back) must be worn at a minimum. Smaller 9x9 "CCW" plates do NOT qualify. I totally get their purpose and even think they're kind of cool, but you'd never (hopefully) wear those if you were going to a place you were likely to be shot with a rifle. You need full coverage.

Use your body as a guide, but I'd guess 8x10 plates would be a minimum. If you're a big dude, you need bigger plates. If you're a 4'9" woman weighing less than 100 lbs, something smaller than 8x10 may work - but don't push it!

I'm not picking on Freeman here - just using their ad as an example in the pic below. There are several CCW armor makers now. Their stuff is cool, but this is not the place for it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Stage 1: 05 Dec 2001, Afghanistan: In memory of ODA574 Master Sgt Jefferson Donald “Donnie” Davis, Staff Sgt. Brian Cody Prosser, and Sgt 1st Class Daniel H. Petithory.

ODA 574, Alpha Company, 3rd Btn, 5th SFG deployed from Karshi-Khanabad Air Base (nicknamed K2 by the Special Forces) just outside of Tarin Kowt on 14 November, accompanied by Pashtun militia leader, Hamid Karzai, who was returning from exile. Twenty members of Karzai’s militia and five other members of ODA 574 and Karzai were also wounded.

A JDAM 2,000 lb penetrating warhead was dropped from a B-52 targeting enemy in caves on the other side of a river 2,000 yds away, but due to several issues hit the friendly forces who called in the fire mission. No one in the area had any idea what happened for several minutes afterward, and chaos reigned after the blast with survivors only knowing they’d been attacked, smoke and debris made seeing anything all but impossible, RPG rounds were cooking off (which led them to think the attack was continuing), and the less disciplined militia were firing their AKs into the smoke adding to the confusion and impression of further attack. For more information on this event and much more, read the book The Only Thing Worth Dying For: How Eleven Green Berets Forged a New Afghanistan by Eric Blehm. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00338QEUQ...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
    ​​​​

You will be shooting pistol from a confined smoke-filled place from awkward positions in this stage. You MAY want to bring a gas mask if you have respiratory issues (or if you just want to bring it!), but you have to carry the gas mask for the entire match along with your other gear.

5SFG didn't have gas masks and just had to fight through the smoke. Think of them while you're coughing and gagging and trying to see clear static targets that aren't shooting back at you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This Saturday will be 8 weeks until Match Day. If you haven't already, NOW would be a great time to start a focused training program.

If you've never done anything like this before, google "Couch To 5k" and choose one of those programs that looks good to you. If this is not your first time, choose a training program that's more advanced but still within your reach - there are a ton of good free programs out there.

Some general guidance:

1. Repeatability is key here. The exact training program you choose doesn't matter nearly as much as COMMITTING to it, and then doing it no matter what. Many studies have shown that doing a physical activity two times per week is just enough to maintain your current level. I've settled on 3x/wk focused training as something that's sustainable for me. 6x/wk will get you even more improvement, but you have a higher risk of injury and/or burnout. You do you.

2. Be sure to increase your nutrition plan and rest plan to go with your harder training. Working harder alone is not enough to improve - your body must have the fuel it needs to do the work, and the focused rest time it needs to rebuild the stressed muscles. Adequate sleep is the most overlooked part of a training plan - don't be that guy!

3. Train no more than once per week with weight. Running in full gear every day sounds like a great way to get stronger (I did it for my first two years!), but it's just too hard on your joints and is unsustainable. Now I focus on speed and endurance during the week with no weight, but do a trail run on the weekend with a 20lb weight vest. That's plenty.

Comment here to share what you're doing and give others ideas, or if you have any questions about your own training plan. And get to work!!!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Be prepared for hills and humidity that feels like you are breathing under water. Love Matt's matches and have done 4-5 of them. Great cause and great groups of people. Keep up the good work. Passing my torch to younger guys.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am pleased to announce Foot Solutions Acworth will be providing almost $600 in running gear including Brooks Cascadia Trail Running Shoes, Aetrex Lynco Orthotics, and Thorlo Experia Prolite Running Socks.

I am especially excited for this one, as I've solicited several running gear companies over the years and they all shied away when they heard guns were involved. Support those who support us!

Check them out at https://footsolutions.com/acworth

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am pleased to announce Foot Solutions Acworth will be providing almost $600 in running gear including Brooks Cascadia Trail Running Shoes, Aetrex Lynco Orthotics, and Thorlo Experia Prolite Running Socks.

I am especially excited for this one, as I've solicited several running gear companies over the years and they all shied away when they heard guns were involved. Support those who support us!

Check them out at https://footsolutions.com/acworth

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had a great site meeting with my Co-MD this weekend and we have several new exciting developments coming!

Today's is that 10k folks need to be prepared to make RIFLE HITS OUT TO 600 YDS. 5k folks will be 300 yds and under.

The 600 yd target will be a full-sized torso (not the Jeep!). I saw FALs hit that same target all day long at 600 yds a couple weeks ago. No big deal, right????

Round count coming soon...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast