Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun: Sept 11-12, Spencer, TN

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am excited to announce that not only will we have CJ Solar donating his time and award-winning talent to entertain us Saturday and Sunday, but he and his guitar player will be COMPETING with us and running the course on Friday with the Staff!

Check out his new album Get Away With It, which follows Solar’s critically-acclaimed debut 2016 EP, Hard One toTurn Down. Critics at The Daily Country wrote, “Solar injects a hefty (and welcome) dose of Southern rock into his country, which melds perfectly with hisgravelly vocals.” Country Music Rocks was “immediately captivated by all five songs and hoped that [the EP] obtains the recognition it deserves.” The Rowdy found it “exactly what country fans are looking to savor.” And The Shotgun Seat welcomed Hard One to Turn Down as “the perfect pairing of country storytelling and rocking rhythms, married by his dynamic vocals” and named him one of their “17 to Watch in 17."

Learn more about CJ at ​https://www.cjsolar.com/

​​​​

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm thrilled to announce Magpul Industries Corp. signed on as a sponsor today, and pledged to donate $3,500.00 in product to the prize table. Thanks Magpul!!! ​https://magpul.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The post everyone has been waiting for: ROUND COUNT!

The MINIMUM required hits are as follows:

5k: 48 rifle and 41 pistol

10k: 68 rifle and 46 pistol

The shooting this year will be the most difficult we've done yet, so I highly suggest NOT skimping on the ammo you carry so you don't run out. I personally will carry 150 rds rifle and 105 rds pistol for the 10k when I run it - and I know exactly what is coming.

10k folks in particular could burn up a LOT of pistol ammo quickly if they struggle. Don't run out.

And just because I'm a nerd, the pic shows how this year's round count compares to all the other Legion matches over the years. I did keep it a little bit low because of the ammo shortage, but it is NOT the lowest it's ever been.

I'm really excited for everyone to see the stages this year. We have a very balanced match with several unique challenges, all based around remembering fallen 5th Special Forces Soldiers. I hope you're ready!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Stage 2 is in honor of CPT Michael Y. Tarlavsky, who was fatally wounded in action on August 12, 2004 in Najaf, Iraq. In this stage, react to a grenade attack and move and shoot through a city environment to beat back CPT Tarlavsky's attackers.

- De Oppresso Liber -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am pleased and not at all surprised to announce Samson Manufacturing has returned as a sponsor this year and pledged $1,200.00 in product to become an Obstacle Sponsor. Bryan Ray was instrumental in helping me put on the very first RNG at Rockcastle Shooting Center in 2017, and through him and Brian Vaught Samson has sponsored every single match I've ever put on.

Not only do they support the shooting sports above and beyond any reasonable call, they also make lots of great products. Check them out at: ​https://www.samson-mfg.com/

​​​​

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Stage 3 is in honor of SSG Gary R. Harper, Jr., who was killed in action when his reconnaissance mission was attacked by enemy forces near Baghdad, Iraq on October 9, 2005.

In this stage, use covering fire while moving to suppress enemy fire during sprints between various points of cover, and engage enemy from behind that cover to fight your way through SSG Harper's reconnaissance mission.

- De Oppresso Liber -

Last edited by Matt in TN; 08-17-21 at 13:21.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am thrilled to announce Licentia Arms has joined on as a sponsor and pledged a $4,150.00 certificate that will be raffled off Sunday night at the 10k Awards Ceremony. The intent is that this certificate will entitle you to one of their custom PVS14 setups, but they've already mentioned it could be credited toward a dual tube setup if you'd rather go that route. I can't speak for them, of course, but I'd imagine they'd also be willing to credit that amount toward a $40,000 quad tube setup if you REALLY want to go nuts!

Licentia Arms builds only the highest quality custom Night Vision Gear using L3 Unfilmed White Phosphor Aviation Spec Tubes. They also have a GREAT website with tons of information for those of us who are overwhelmed just trying to get started in NV. For example, check out their "Night Vision 101" Article here: https://licentiaarmsco.com/night-vision-101/
    ​​
    They will have a demo bay setup Saturday night (starting at 8:30pm and going until we run out of ammo) where you can use much of their equipment under live fire conditions. A single $10 raffle ticket purchase allows you entry to that demo bay, but you can buy as many of those $10 raffle tickets all weekend long if you want to increase your odds of winning. You must finish the race (5k or 10k) to be eligible to buy raffle tickets. You do NOT have to present to win, but if you are not there your tickets must be marked LEGIBLY with your contact information or we'll have no way to contact you. I can't imagine anything more sad than drawing the winning ticket only to find it blank or unreadable - but if that happens I'm going to draw another. As with everything this weekend, all proceeds from the raffle go to the Special Forces Association, Chpt 38.

Former 5SFG personnel will be helping to run the demo bay Saturday night so you can pepper them with all the NVG related questions you want, and get great answers bought with the sweat of their real world experiences. Don't miss this unique opportunity.

Like them on Facebook at @licentiaarms, follow them on Instagram at @licentia_arms and check out their website at https://licentiaarmsco.com/ - and be sure to tell them you're there because they sponsored the Legion match!

Last edited by Matt in TN; 08-17-21 at 15:33.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Stage 4 is in honor of SFC Aaron A. Henderson, who died October 2, 2012 of wounds sustained from an improvised explosive device attack on September 30 in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.

In this stage: fight off the enemy from multiple sandbagged positions, drag your wounded teammate to safety, and use a radio to call for medevac and receive your next instructions.

- De Oppresso Liber -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Scoring & Penalties:

Your overall score will be 50% net run time and 50% total shooting score. So you have to both run fast and shoot well to win. If you fail to fully neutralize a target, 10 seconds will be added to your shoot time for that stage. Any targets not designated one hit each during the shooting brief will take THREE rifle hits or FIVE pistol hits to neutralized - and D-zone hits don't count. Remember, 5th Group doesn't just shoot twice and move on - they shoot until the target is no longer a threat. We can't do that in a game, so we use the average number of hits they make on attackers based on their real-world experiences.

There will be difficult obstacles along the way. Skipping those obstacles will result in SEVERE penalties added to your run time. I will have staff at each obstacle to keep you honest. Do the obstacles. Embrace the suck.

Match DQ's will be issued for the following infractions:

1. Dropping a loaded pistol anywhere on the course.
    2. Muzzling anyone (even yourself) with a loaded weapon.
    3. Negligent discharge (there is no such thing as "accidental" discharge) of your weapon.
    4. Having a loaded rifle anywhere on the course EXCEPT when actively shooting a stage.

Legion Veterans: What am I forgetting?
    Legion Newbies: What scoring/penalty questions do you have that I haven't addressed here?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This incident was a main driver of starting the very first Legion 9/11 Memorial Match in 2017, and was the first stage of that very first match. One of our founders was the XO for these fine young gentleman, and wanted to do something to honor them. I thought it fitting to bring it back for the 20th Anniversary of 9/11, and honor them once again.

Stage 5 is in honor of SFC Matthew C. Lewellen, SSG Kevin J. McEnroe, and SSG James F. Moriarty, who were killed in action on November 4, 2016 during an ambush at a vehicle checkpoint in Jordan.

In this stage: fight off the enemy from inside a vehicle and use barricades for cover while fighting off an ambush.

- De Oppresso Liber -

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast