Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun: Sept 11-12, Spencer, TN

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am pleased to announce Vortex Optics has signed on as a sponsor, and pledged $2,400.00 in optics for the prize table. Check them out at https://vortexoptics.com/, and be sure to thank them for sponsoring this match!

Last edited by Matt in TN; 08-19-21 at 19:10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Primitive camping (no hookups, no power, no water) will be available on site at Dead Zero Shooting Park for $10/night. No need to make reservations - just show up and check in at the Pro Shop to pay. If the Pro Shop is closed when you arrived, find a spot out of the way and pay the next day when it opens.

We are bringing in extra portapots for this, but you need to plan on bringing everything else you might need with you. There is a Dollar Store about 15 minutes north of here, and a Walmart about 20 minutes south of here if you need supplies.

BE SURE to be respectful of their land and leave your campsite in a better condition than you found it. Fires are fine, but keep a close eye on them. If you leave any trash I'm going to put you on garbage patrol for all 2,000 acres of property we are using this weekend.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We have several unique terrain-based obstacles this year that will test both your physical skills and your mental toughness. If you have any claustrophobic tendencies, you may want to start learning to face them and power through. As with all of our matches - the 5k has an "easier" version of this obstacle, but the 10k has the "all in" version. Be ready.

It's also come to my attention that I should warn everyone they will get wet on this course, so you should dress appropriately. If you're smart and skilled you can minimize this to avoid almost all of the water. If you're neither of those things or just prefer to plow through the depths - that's fine with me too.

And of course Mother Nature has a say too. She may decide we ALL get soaked no matter what we do. It has certainly happened before. Be prepared for anything you might encounter in fairly rough/remote terrain in the Southeastern United States. I'm pretty sure there are no alligators onsite - but I'd prefer them to all the ticks and chiggers I can PROMISE you are there. Treat your clothes with Permethrin. Apply Deet liberally. DO NOT wear shorts, no matter how hot it is - especially if you're doing the 10k. You will regret it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Stage 6 (10k only) is in honor of Senior Chief Petty Officer Scott Dayton, an LCPO (Leading Chief Petty Officer) of a 4-man EOD Team, who served closely with 5SFG. Senior Chief Dayton was tragically killed in the line of duty in Syria on November 24, 2016.

In this stage: defuse a bomb, then fight through an attack when things go wrong.

- De Oppresso Liber -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Remember - you will need eye and ear protection to shoot. If you show up at a stage without either, you will not be allowed to shoot and will have to take a zero for that stage. Many people carry extras, because $hit happens and you don't have to run back an extra mile to figure out where you dropped yours. You don't have to wear it when you run if you don't want - but it is mandatory for shooting.

You'll also need a stopwatch of some kind to record your wait times if you have any. If you show up at a stage and someone is already there shooting it, the RO will tell you to start your wait time. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to time this and track it accurately - the RO will NOT do it for you. When it's your turn to shoot, the RO will ask for your wait time and it will be subtracted from your net run time.

While you are on wait time, you are NOT ALLOWED to eat, drink, sit, meditate, sleep, reload magazines, move gear around, or anything else that could give you an advantage over someone who does not have wait time. It's supposed to simply be a "time out" to not penalize you for back-ups at shooting stages. Just stand there and enjoy the brief rest that the guy in front of you probably didn't get.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Stage 7 (10k only) is in honor of Chief Warrant Officer Jonathan Robert Farmer, who was killed by a suicide bomber in the line of duty in Syria on January 16, 2019.

In this stage: Intel has identified the HQ of the people who sent the suicide bomber. Attack from a distance, taking out High Value Targets (HVTs) including the commander, officers, and bomb maker himself. Protect yourself from enemy flanking maneuvers as needed.

- De Oppresso Liber -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A correction on Jon's bio from his widow - it seems he had so many deployments they wouldn't all fit on the one page:

Jon had a total of 10 deployments, 7 combat deployment and 3 operational. He supported Operation Iraqi Freedom in October 2007 and January 2009; Operation New Dawn in August 2010; Operation Enduring Freedom January 2012 and January 2014; Operation Inherent Resolve November 2017 and November 2018 until his passing in January 2019.

She also notes that he was actually shot at more on the operational deployments than the combat.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am pleased to announce The Star Spangled Brewing Co. has signed on as a sponsor! Not only will the owner be running the race with Staff on Friday, but they will be providing FREE BEER to all match finishers on Saturday (possibly Sunday if you 5k guys don't drink it all!) near the finish line.

We must be clear here so we don't screw this up: ONCE A BEER TOUCHES YOUR LIPS, YOU WILL NOT TOUCH A GUN FOR THE REST OF THE DAY. And of course and always: don't drink and drive. This is intended for competitors to relax and enjoy a beer or two after finishing their race and while they wait for everyone else to finish. Donations to the Special Forces Association, Chapter 38 are appreciated, and we'll make it easy for you to donate right when you pick up your free beer.

Like them on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/StarSpangledBrewingCo/) and check out their website at: ​https://www.starspangledbrewingco.com/ - and be sure to thank them for supporting the match!

Last edited by Matt in TN; 08-24-21 at 14:23.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm thrilled to announce that Spike's Tactical is returning yet again as a Title Sponsor this year, pledging three different rifles to the prize table with a total value well over $5,000.00.

Be sure to like them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/spikestactical/, check out their website at https://www.spikestactical.com/, and tell them THANK YOU for sponsoring Legion!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm pleased to announce Nightforce Optics has returned yet again as a sponsor, and sent two 50% off certificates and two certificates for their X-Treme Duty Unimount ($260.00 each). It's hard to put a value on these as it depends on what you buy - but these prizes combined could be worth well over $4,000.00.

Be sure to "like" NF's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/NightforceOptics/) and check out their website at: https://www.nightforceoptics.com/ for any optic needs you might have. And don't by shy about asking Sean Murphy's advice - he's the Nightforce guru and always happy to talk optics, and will be with us all weekend long!

Be sure to thank both Sean and Nightforce for sponsoring the match. It really makes a difference!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast