Thread: Johnny's knife

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Johnny's knife

Noveske Strider Knife

Long story, and I've written it out before, so you have my apologies if you have heard this already. John Noveske was making a custom run of blades with Strider. John wanted to make the blade based off his version of what his personal knife would be. Strider made a couple prototypes (no serial numbers) and sent them to John. It wasn't totally what John was looking for, and he was going to spec out a few changes before they did a production run.

I stayed at Johns house for a couple weeks taking vacation from the PD. While I was there, John took the knife that he kept for himself, and gave it to me. John and I gave stuff to each other back and forth, it all started when he liked a jacket I was wearing when I first met him at a huge bonfire / BBQ party. He tried it on and it fit him perfect, we are both tall with long arms and the Otte Gear soft shell looked tailor fit on him. When I left the bonfire I went out to my buddies truck to leave, then went back and interrupted John talking to a bunch of dudes and tossed the jacket to him and told him keep it. Then I walked away before he could try to say no. If you ever wonder why John is often pictured in Otte Gear jackets, it started when I gave him the one off my back.

Another time we were on his jet boat on the Rogue River, and he saw the back of my Eotech shirt had a outline of a certain MFG that wasn't him, so he told me I was gay and to throw the shirt away. Off it came and it went into the river. I went home that trip with a stockpile of Noveske shirts. People who know John all saw different sides of him. The sides I saw of him were probably unique in that I saw the business side, the family side, and the friend side. I am worse off for his passing, and I miss him. However, he was the type of guy who still makes me laugh and smile on a regular basis.

Back to the knife, the production version ended up being very similar to this, I think the main difference is they are serial numbered and the G10 grips are different. I believe two of these went to his sons, a third went to a friend of his at the shop, and this one was his. If you read all this, thanks for your time. Hopefully it helps shed a little light on how good of a guy he was.

I really wish that the "actual" knife that he wanted to design made it to production, but congratulations to the people who own them, and I hope you enjoy...

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Couple more...

[IMG][/IMG]

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    Great photos and a gorgeous blade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Good read, slick story. Feels good to give stuff away.

I bought this Strider many moons ago. Looks similar to John's special edition. But it's no Johny! Those serrations are insanely aggressive.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 05-10-21 at 17:56.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Good read, slick story. Feels good to give stuff away.

PB

Thanks, I agree that its nice to be in a position where you can give things away to good people. I am blessed in many ways.
    Stick