Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Pipeline cyber attack

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Well, they paid the hackers the ransom. Que more attacks for higher ransom...
    That's OK, they'll just raise consumer prices to cover the extra cost. It's literally no skin off their profits.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Is anybody else hearing rumor that the White House threatened and pushed them to pay the hackers? I'm hearing the administration threatened to sieze control of the pipeline assets if the company didn't pay and get it back up and running.

I'm gonna throw that in the Internet rumor pile unless I see/hear validation. Makes me wonder though.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Is anybody else hearing rumor that the White House threatened and pushed them to pay the hackers? I'm hearing the administration threatened to sieze control of the pipeline assets if the company didn't pay and get it back up and running.

I'm gonna throw that in the Internet rumor pile unless I see/hear validation. Makes me wonder though.
    No Comment

Feedback Score
    Russian hackers hahahhahahaha

Russian GOV hackers they mean this was a test bite to see reaction quite simple IMHO

Feedback Score
    I can't believe they paid the ransom. How much you want to bet this sets us up for more attacks since this one was successful.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post

Companies pay often. No one has to pressure them. It’s a straight business decision: what’s going to get you up and running faster?

If you’re losing millions a day, pay the vig and bill your insurance company. If you run a tight ship and have backups worth a damn, tell them to pound sand and get your shit sorted.

From the amount of time they were down, I’d wager their backups weren’t even an after thought.

This hardly the first time Eastern Euro hackers have been implicated. It’s the new face of organized crime. Way easier than pushing dope or other contraband. No one gets shot in the head for running a bot farm, or bricking some American’s PC. And you can do it in your underwear. Actually, your scripts should be doing it for you.

Sent from 80ms in the future

Feedback Score
    I’m not saying I think this should warrant a kinetic response but I wouldn’t be sad if the people who did this got a visitor at night.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Companies pay often. No one has to pressure them. It’s a straight business decision: what’s going to get you up and running faster?

If you’re losing millions a day, pay the vig and bill your insurance company. If you run a tight ship and have backups worth a damn, tell them to pound sand and get your shit sorted.
    This sort of thing is happening much more than you hear in the news media.

On the last point, a buddy works in IT for a very large company (like Fortune 100, but not publicly traded in the US) that got ransomed. They had solid daily backups and knew it. He and the rest of IT had to fly around to all their facilities doing restorations from the backup. The company was back up and running in 2-3 days and AFAIK it was never in the news.

I also know of several smaller, but still large organizations that have paid ransom.

Regarding "bill your insurance company." I work in the insurance industry and I've both drafted and reviewed policies for cyber issues and business interruption. In brief, assume that most companies are not insured for any ransom payments for this sort of thing.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...bo4-story.html

https://www.secureworldexpo.com/indu...omware-payment

https://www.techradar.com/news/top-i...ansom-payments

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    Russian hackers hahahhahahaha

Russian GOV hackers they mean this was a test bite to see reaction quite simple IMHO
    You're right there. I was listening to Mark Levin for a little bit last nite. Like he said, there isn't anything on a scale like this happening in Russia that the Russian government and Putin don't know about or are involved in. He made a good point that this was just a trial run to see what could be done and to test the administration's response to the attack. This kind of thing will continue in the future as our infrastructure is wide open for this kind of attack. Could you imagine the response from people if/when we lose our electrical grid for more than a week or so? I think we have probably the weakest government representation in this country right now than at any point in history... of course, I believe it has a purpose also.
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score
    Deleted cuz I’m a moron
    Last edited by thepatriot2705; 05-19-21 at 06:39.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast