Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird cycling issue... thoughts?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I wouldn't know from experience if a NiB coated BCG has that tendency...it's "all over the web" to the point I won't even consider owning one

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you found the culprit. Im former Navy so I always store muzzle up. It sounds like you are using too much lube if the Slip 2000 is leaking into your chamber and "gumming" it up. I have never used Slip but some lubes are best used very conservatively. I use FrogLube and Otis Bio CLP and they both go on warm and wet and you do not need much. The stories of folks gumming up the action involve too much lube. FrogLube dries where Otis Bio CLP stays slightly wet until it evaporates and at that point I re-lube. Both perform the same as far as I can tell. It seems FrogLube provides longer lasting coating. I tested my shower rod which was rusting pretty bad and coated it with FrogLube and a heat gun three years ago and its still holding up and preventing rust. They both dissolve carbon and fouling and lift rust. I would take FrogLube as a slight advantage in hot/cold environments. Because it dries cool and wets when hot. You can lube an entire AR with a few drops of liquid FrogLube Extreme and a swab. Same with Otis Bio CLP. If you have paste you can melt it to a liquid, otherwise you'll end up using too much. Any synthetic military lube should be safe to avoid gumming stuff up. I previously used synthetic CLP but I got sick of scrubbing and flushing carbon off.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's not the fault of Slip 2000 EWL.

Reloads.

Use some good factory brass 5.56 and I'll bet your problem clears right up.

Froglube is terrible and should not be used. Years ago I read across the internets about how it was failing on people and gumming guns up to the point of failure, so I did what they had done to see if I could duplicate it...lube properly oven and heat gun and all with froglube, then shoot a couple hundred rounds, don't clean, store for a couple months, take outside in the winter (barely below freezing until gun gets cold)...*click* no bang. Just say no to froglue, proper lubricants for a firearm won't do that. Hammer was all gummed up, all of the trigger works, some got to the firing pin and it was frozen in place too, it was a god damn mess.
    Last edited by Warp; 05-16-21 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post

Reloads.

Froglube is terrible and should not be used. Years ago I read across the internets about how it was failing on people and gumming guns up to the point of failure, so I did what they had done to see if I could duplicate it...lube properly oven and heat gun and all with froglube, then shoot a couple hundred rounds, don't clean, store for a couple months, take outside in the winter (barely below freezing until gun gets cold)...*click* no bang. Just say no to froglue, proper lubricants for a firearm won't do that. Hammer was all gummed up, all of the trigger works, some got to the firing pin and it was frozen in place too, it was a god damn mess.
    I call BS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post

Reloads.

I would qualify that by saying it shouldn't be used on anything that matters if it fails. It has certain advantages for applications where it just doesn't matter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I would qualify that by saying it shouldn't be used on anything that matters if it fails. It has certain advantages for applications where it just doesn't matter.
    I personally tested it below -20F and had zero issues. You are using too much or your AR has issues. You literally have to use waaaaay too much to cause an issue: I would define it as a Fudd level of lube to cause an issue. As we can see OP was having an issue with his brass and Slip 2000, so I guess anything can cause issues if it's applied improperly. I call fudd on the anti FrogLubers: I have been using it for years and never had a lube related issue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post
    I personally tested it below -20F and had zero issues. You are using too much or your AR has issues. You literally have to use waaaaay too much to cause an issue: I would define it as a Fudd level of lube to cause an issue. As we can see OP was having an issue with his brass and Slip 2000, so I guess anything can cause issues if it's applied improperly. I call fudd on the anti FrogLubers: I have been using it for years and never had a lube related issue.
    I doubt the slip was his issue, but if it was it's because it got in the chamber. You don't want lube on your cases or in your chamber, period.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I doubt the slip was his issue, but if it was it's because it got in the chamber. You don't want lube on your cases or in your chamber, period.
    Definitely not a good practice. I never store my gats muzzle down so never had that issue even when I used CLP and Mobile 1.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post

OP was having an issue because of his reloads, not because of using Slip 2000 EWL.

Since when do Fudds use too much oil on their rifles?? That's new to me.

If the rifle fails from "too much" oil, the oil sucks. Never had any issues using others, including Slip. Even when dirty and cold, it stays viscous and slick, toad lube does not

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Damn forum double tapping

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast