Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird cycling issue... thoughts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    So, You have no clue what reamers were used in each and you are just taking a wild guess that all 5.56 chambers are 'close enough' to being the same as to not matter even IF a guy is not sizing his cases completely each time?

(am thinking reloading is not something you would be very good at friend...)
    It would be a massive coincidence if whatever minute difference might exist would be enough to cause it 100% of the time in his gun, and none of the time in any other gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    It would be a massive coincidence if whatever minute difference might exist would be enough to cause it 100% of the time in his gun, and none of the time in any other gun.
    I mentioned it in a previous post, but it was not 100% in my gun

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It wasn't 100%

Guy shooting handloads sometimes has rounds stick in the chamber, come to find out rounds are not full length resized. Kind of seems like this writes itself unless and until the same thing happens with good factory ammo in this gun

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    I mentioned it in a previous post, but it was not 100% in my gun
    Missed that. So it stuck in other guns, too, or it just didn't happen every single time in your rifle?

Feedback Score

Weird cycling issue... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Other rounds getting stuck tell us all we need to know.

The guy has crappy reloading practices...
    We really don’t know, we don’t have any measurements. Others got stuck? In fact, he said the two rounds that stuck later passed the plunk test in HIS actual chamber. That means there is something else going on.

That’s assuming he did an actual plunk test. Which there is reason to believe he didn’t if those same rounds cause a problem a second time being run through the gun.

He may not be actually moving the shoulders back and the case head is protruding during his plunk test, which is possible. But to say “we KNOW” is asinine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mRad; 05-22-21 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    Should just be plain old 5.56 chambers in both of them. I highly doubt in any case there's enough dimensional difference to matter.
    Which “plain ole 5.56 chamber”? There are about half a dozen different reamer prints.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    Which “plain ole 5.56 chamber”? There are about half a dozen different reamer prints.

I get that, but the differences are minute. I feel like the odds are pretty high that they would cause problems in other rifles. I'm having trouble keeping this thread straight, but I thought I remembered him saying that it hasn't.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I get that, but the differences are minute. I feel like the odds are pretty high that they would cause problems in other rifles. I'm having trouble keeping this thread straight, but I thought I remembered him saying that it hasn't.

He said his father shot some of his reloads in a different rifle at the class without the issue.

But, as we discussed, it's a bit of a stretch to assume that every round he reloaded is identical. Were they all the same once fired fired brass, from the same lot, previously fired through the same gun? And even then, if not full length resizing, who knows...it may just be that not every single round he reloaded is identical (or close enough), and the more out of spec ones happened to end up in his rifle. I mean he's talking about what 2 or 3 rounds over the course of a day that had this problem? Could be those same rounds would have done the same thing in a different rifle.

It's a guy handloading his own ammo and not resizing the cases and the rounds are getting stuck. Shoot factory ammo and magically it won't happen, promise.

Feedback Score
    A few thousandths could cause problems, but I doubt that is the case in this instance.

I’m still curious if the shoulders are being pushed back enough. I’m not sure if the plunk test is telling us that since it would be physically difficult to be able to tell. The fact that it falls free suggests that it is being sized down enough.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    He said his father shot some of his reloads in a different rifle at the class without the issue.

But, as we discussed, it's a bit of a stretch to assume that every round he reloaded is identical. Were they all the same once fired fired brass, from the same lot, previously fired through the same gun? And even then, if not full length resizing, who knows...it may just be that not every single round he reloaded is identical (or close enough), and the more out of spec ones happened to end up in his rifle. I mean he's talking about what 2 or 3 rounds over the course of a day that had this problem? Could be those same rounds would have done the same thing in a different rifle.

It's a guy handloading his own ammo and not resizing the cases and the rounds are getting stuck. Shoot factory ammo and magically it won't happen, promise.
    Factory rounds are not identical. A good hand loader can make rounds closer to identical every single time than the factory can.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast