Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vampire Worth It?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by STAMarine View Post
    Ok, that is beginning to get me to where I can start looking for what I need. LED illuminators like the vampire would be what one would use indoors where there isn't enough light for NODs, but a Laser illuminator would be too powerful for the NODS under the same conditions. By the same token, LED illuminators would be too weak for outdoor use at distance, but laser illuminators would be used to illuminate the target for laser pointer sighting in that instance? So that's why you're running the PEQ and the Vulcan, correct? Even if I replaced my DBAL and WML with this setup, I'd still be less in than a new MAWL.
    MAWLs work wonderfully indoors when using the short-range setting. Traditionally laser illuminators have not been great indoors due to their poor flood beams. The MAWL has an excellent flood beam, while the Wilcox RAID-X utilizes a small LED emitter for CQB use (also great flood; the laser illuminator can be turned down to very low levels, but the lack of flood makes it not very well suited for CQB); I do not know what the NGAL does, or if it has any kind of CQB specific beam/setting.

I find the RAID-X's CQB LED to do a much better job of lighting up a typical room inside a house than my M340V (the latter being used as a helmet light).
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-12-21 at 16:48.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STAMarine View Post
    Ok, that is beginning to get me to where I can start looking for what I need. LED illuminators like the vampire would be what one would use indoors where there isn't enough light for NODs, but a Laser illuminator would be too powerful for the NODS under the same conditions. By the same token, LED illuminators would be too weak for outdoor use at distance, but laser illuminators would be used to illuminate the target for laser pointer sighting in that instance? So that's why you're running the PEQ and the Vulcan, correct? Even if I replaced my DBAL and WML with this setup, I'd still be less in than a new MAWL.
    I'm not sure what a Vulcan is. There's the PEQ15A, then the 600V, and that's it.

But yes, generally speaking, that's how it works. I don't know about indoors necessarily. It would depend on the size of the structure, but yes, if you were going to be under nods indoors you would definitely use the LED. The LEDs like the Vampires are good from about 10 yards to 100 yards. At those ranges, the laser illuminators are too tight and way too bright. You would think turning it to low power would help with that, but surprisingly it doesn't. I find the low power illuminator setting to be almost completely useless at any range.

So yea, LED inside 100 yards, full power illuminator beyond about 150 for sure. As far as like inside a house, the onboard illuminator on most nods is generally enough, but in a larger structure like say a commercial building, the Vampire would absolutely dominate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I'm not sure what a Vulcan is. There's the PEQ15A, then the 600V, and that's it.

But yes, generally speaking, that's how it works. I don't know about indoors necessarily. It would depend on the size of the structure, but yes, if you were going to be under nods indoors you would definitely use the LED. The LEDs like the Vampires are good from about 10 yards to 100 yards. At those ranges, the laser illuminators are too tight and way too bright. You would think turning it to low power would help with that, but surprisingly it doesn't. I find the low power illuminator setting to be almost completely useless at any range.

So yea, LED inside 100 yards, full power illuminator beyond about 150 for sure. As far as like inside a house, the onboard illuminator on most nods is generally enough, but in a larger structure like say a commercial building, the Vampire would absolutely dominate.
    Sorry, I don't know why I typed Vulcan. I must have mixed up Count Chocula with Spok.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12