Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel and Palestine going at it again

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    We were picking sides before the Soviets and Cold War. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't (Looking at you, Iran...). Barbary/Libya, Oman, pre-WW1, but WW1 really kicked off the let's-get-our-business-on-in-the-middle-east tour. WW2 ramped it up fo sho, and the 10-D chess with the USSR after WW2 kept us hopping. I am not sure, though, who made more of a mess in the ME, us or the Brits.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    We were picking sides before the Soviets and Cold War. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't (Looking at you, Iran...). Barbary/Libya, Oman, pre-WW1, but WW1 really kicked off the let's-get-our-business-on-in-the-middle-east tour. WW2 ramped it up fo sho, and the 10-D chess with the USSR after WW2 kept us hopping. I am not sure, though, who made more of a mess in the ME, us or the Brits.
    Well, Iran sorta worked. Until 1979 at least and after that, it's not like they fell into the Soviets camp.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    The thing is though that Pali rags are genuinely nasty MFers. Not every single human, but as a general rule. About a decade ago, during a relatively peaceful stretch some outfit did a survey. "What do you want most for your children?". Number 1 with a bullet, "To kill jews and be a martyr." Really F'ing great parental values there. F those people. They have the leadership they want and deserve. Worthless, murderous scum leading simply worthless nasty people.
    It’d be nice if it were that simple. I’d sure hate to be held accountable for what other Americans said in a survey to Cosmo.

After 9/11, instead of being mature and measuring the totality of it all and complicity; everybody was going on this whole “kill em all” spiel that I didn’t fully agree with then and that in 20 years everybody can agree was pretty cringe.

You have two nations that for all of their similarities also simply don’t get along. You don’t know all these people. I don’t care about Hamas or someone tooling up voluntarily. My heart lies with the person that simply wants to be left alone. They simply had the misfortune to be born in a problematic area.

It gripes my ass to hear grown men say “Well they should just leave” with an arrogant smugness.

Could you uproot your whole life to please “coolgunguyscreenname666” if your locality went to holy hell? No? Okay then.

As I have gotten older the things that I think are worth killing or dying for have greatly diminished. You would literally have to be coming at me for me to take you seriously.

So I am simply not going to be too hawkish here. I would hope people come to an understanding before it gets out of hand

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I just read a transcript of part of Netanyahu's speech. If it's real, and if he delivers, it's gonna get ugly.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It’d be nice if it were that simple. I’d sure hate to be held accountable for what other Americans said in a survey to Cosmo.

After 9/11, instead of being mature and measuring the totality of it all and complicity; everybody was going on this whole “kill em all” spiel that I didn’t fully agree with then and that in 20 years everybody can agree was pretty cringe.

You have two nations that for all of their similarities also simply don’t get along. You don’t know all these people. I don’t care about Hamas or someone tooling up voluntarily. My heart lies with the person that simply wants to be left alone. They simply had the misfortune to be born in a problematic area.

It gripes my ass to hear grown men say “Well they should just leave” with an arrogant smugness.

Could you uproot your whole life to please “coolgunguyscreenname666” if your locality went to holy hell? No? Okay then.

As I have gotten older the things that I think are worth killing or dying for have greatly diminished. You would literally have to be coming at me for me to take you seriously.

So I am simply not going to be too hawkish here. I would hope people come to an understanding before it gets out of hand
    I said that after 9/11. Well, not "kill 'em all," but the terrorists and the people who harbor them? Hell to the yeah; I say it now.

You are correct that it's so easy to sit here 10,000 miles away and simply say "well, move..." because you are right in that it isn't nearly that easy. Too fat and smoke? Well, just diet, exercise, and stop smoking. Yeahhhhhh.....

As a citizen of country with a plank in its' own eye (we've funded and planned our fair share of genocide for sure...), I have chosen to support Israel in spite of its' problems, mainly because as much of a regional pariah as they are, they (and Jordan) are the most stable players in the game for that area.

I hoped I fought my last fight, and it would not make be sad to have fired my last bullet (or to have had the last one fired at me, more importantly), and I also hope they can cool their jets and let calmer heads prevail and not allow this to turn into "a thing."

Feedback Score
    I just read a transcript of part of Netanyahu's speech. If it's real, and if he delivers, it's gonna get ugly.
    Link to transcript?

Feedback Score
    Link to transcript?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    For as long as there are humans on earth, there will be conflict in the Fertile Crescent. They'll still be fighting when we're nothing but dust.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieThom View Post
    Link to transcript?
    The following is what I read:

*Breaking news:* Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu just made the following speech in front of the Knesset:
    ----
    To Ismail Haniya, and the leaders and operatives of Hamas:
    We, the people of Israel, owe you a huge debt of gratitude. You have succeeded where we have failed. Because never before, in the history of the modern State of Israel, has the Jewish people been so united, like one person with one heart. Everyone in Israel, from Left to Right, secular and religious, in united in the knowledge that there is no accommodating an enemy that is sworn to the genocide of our people.
    And now, as you continue to launch deadly missiles indiscriminately, intended to maim and murder as many civilians as possible, while you take cowardly refuge behind your own civilians - you continue to inspire us to hold strongly onto our unity. Whatever disputes we Jews may have with each other, we now know that we have one common goal: we will defeat you.
    But we are offering you now one last chance. Within 24 hours, all rocket fire - and I mean all rocket fire - will cease. Completely. Forever.
    I give you formal notice that our tanks are massed at the Gaza border, with artillery and air support at the ready. We have already dropped leaflets over the northern parts of the Gaza strip, warning civilians of our impending arrival, and that they should evacuate southward, forthwith. If you fail to meet our ultimatum, we are coming in, and, with God's help, this time we will not leave. Every centimeter of land that we conquer will be annexed to Israel, so that there will *never* be another attack launched at our civilians from there.
    Even so, we will continue to keep the door open to allow you to surrender gracefully. The moment you announce that you are laying down arms, we will halt our advance, and there we will draw our new borders. If you continue to attack our citizens, we will continue to roll southwards, driving you out of territory that you will never again contaminate with your evil presence.
    It pains me deeply that your civilians will be made homeless. But we did not choose this war; you did. And if our choice is between allowing our citizens to be targeted mercilessly by your genocidal savagery, versus turning your civilians into refugees, I regret that we must choose the latter. If only you loved your people as much as you hate ours, this war would never have happened.
    To the rest of the world: Israel has tired of your ceaseless chidings that we should "show restraint". When you have your entire population under constant missile fire from an implacable enemy whose stated goal is the murder of every man, woman and child in your land, then you may come and talk to us about "restraint". Until then, we respectfully suggest that you keep your double standards to yourselves. This time, Hamas has gone too far, and we will do whatever we have to in order to protect our population.
    Hamas, once again, I thank you for bringing our people together with such clarity of mind and unity of purpose. The people of Israel do not fear the long road ahead. Am Yisrael Chai.
    Last edited by chuckman; 05-12-21 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    I hope that’s accurate.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast