Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any chemist/material experts here?

Feedback Score

Any chemist/material experts here?

I’m slaking quick lime to calcium hydroxide (lime putty). Lime putty gets better with age as the particle size shrinks. Can anyone think of any way to speed the aging process? 1 day old lime putty is chemically identical to 10 year old lime putty. So far, I’ve tired using a hydraulic press, extensive mixing, heat, and cold with no luck The only possible thing I can think of at this point is using a concrete vibrator. I’m asking here as there is barely any research on the subject...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No help on your question, but I recall seeing slaked like mentioned on Townsends for preserving eggs without refrigeration so this may be of interest to you also.

https://vintagerecipesandcookery.com...e-water-glass/

Feedback Score
    It would seem that starting with the finest Quick Lime would help. I did read about how the Romans required the lime putty to stand for 4 years before use. I assume that once you wet it out and keep it wet, the water on the top of the tub keeps the lime putty from reacting with CO2, and is how the romans were able to store/age it for that long?

What's your recipe right now? How hot does it get when you start mixing it up?

https://mississippilime.com/products/quicklime/

They have different grades. The smaller the PSD, the more surface area to react, the faster the quicklime should react with the water. Finer particles, more concern about respiration and burning your lungs. They would probably be best to answer the question.

Start with the smallest particle size quicklime, constant/periodic mixing to expose the unreacted surface of the quicklime as the outer 'shell' reacts with the water.

Really interesting stuff. Especially the natural gas/water transmission and natural anti-micorbial.

It maybe that it just takes time....

Chemist, not my area, but I had done a lot of reading on 'geopolymers' as potential coatings buildings and fillers for 3D printed materials.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Except starting with the finest grade etc as mentioned above, I don't think you can hurry the process. In my limited understanding it is an ongoing dynamic at a microscopic level. You can only physically crush the particle size down so far. After that you have to allow the curing process to do its thing. It will strengthen in a relative rising curve to a point, then start to degrade.

Concrete follows a slightly different process but has similar curing properties. The Hoover Dam concrete is still getting stronger in the unexposed depths of the solid concrete.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    CB76E369-615E-48D6-80F0-E3E9A3381F8D.jpeg

Picture 1 is fresh slaked putty at the micron level. Picture 2 (top right) is 2 month old lime putty. Picture 3 (bottom left) is 1 year old putty.

Any guesses as to what is occurring? Almost seems like consolidation to me. I’m wondering if a concrete vibrator might simulate the aging process.

And random question: does anyone have an idea where I can get time on a scanning electron microscope?
    Last edited by thepatriot2705; 05-12-21 at 22:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thepatriot2705 View Post
    CB76E369-615E-48D6-80F0-E3E9A3381F8D.jpeg

Picture 1 is fresh slaked putty at the micron level. Picture 2 (top right) is 2 month old lime putty. Picture 3 (bottom left) is 1 year old putty.

Any guesses as to what is occurring? Almost seems like consolidation to me. I’m wondering if a concrete vibrator might simulate the aging process.

And random question: does anyone have an idea where I can get time on a scanning electron microscope?
    Looks like it is also going from crystalline to amphorous.

It would be interesting to put the putty in something that ‘giggled’, and kept it warm, but not hot? Maybe the vibrator, but it runs for a bit every few minutes?

Someone has to have the answer, it would seem like a big issue to its use.

Having developed new materials and products based on chemistry, I told our CEO that after you run through all the variables and you haven't gotten what you want, it isn’t a problem, it’s a fact. Wanting and thinking something should happen, doesn’t mean it’s actually possible.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 05-13-21 at 07:51.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Is buying aged not an option? I’ve seen it for sale, but it ain’t cheap.

Vibration doesn’t seem to do what everyone wants -

https://reader.elsevier.com/reader/s...20210513080955

Ultrasonic won’t work because of density and the volume you’re using (non-Newtonian fluid and not a bench top experiment).

But I’m not sure there’s a way to accelerate crystalline growth or change (radiation? massive, massive pressure?), but vapor and pressure slaking might get you farther along than just soaking. Has anyone done super-heated steam?

I’m guessing that you’ve seen this -

https://ceramics.onlinelibrary.wiley...2000.tb01332.x

And this -

https://reader.elsevier.com/reader/s...20210513074504

(A couple of boilermakers prevent too much study)

Sent from 80ms in the future

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Is buying aged not an option? I’ve seen it for sale, but it ain’t cheap.

Vibration doesn’t seem to do what everyone wants -

https://reader.elsevier.com/reader/s...20210513080955

Ultrasonic won’t work because of density and the volume you’re using (non-Newtonian fluid and not a bench top experiment).

But I’m not sure there’s a way to accelerate crystalline growth or change (radiation? massive, massive pressure?), but vapor and pressure slaking might get you farther along than just soaking. Has anyone done super-heated steam?

I’m guessing that you’ve seen this -

https://ceramics.onlinelibrary.wiley...2000.tb01332.x

And this -

https://reader.elsevier.com/reader/s...20210513074504

(A couple of boilermakers prevent too much study)

Sent from 80ms in the future
    I spent $3000 on aged lime putty. I have about 1/3 of it left which is reserved for the white coat. I bought the same amount of quicklime for $600.

The only two options I can think of it mechanically vibrating it or applying a direct current. Something about free Ca being lost over time. Maybe an electrical charge would help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thepatriot2705 View Post
    I spent $3000 on aged lime putty. I have about 1/3 of it left which is reserved for the white coat. I bought the same amount of quicklime for $600.

The only two options I can think of it mechanically vibrating it or applying a direct current. Something about free Ca being lost over time. Maybe an electrical charge would help.
    How long was that aged?

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    How long was that aged?
    initially it was aged 3 months. The 900 pounds left has aged over a year now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast