Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any chemist/material experts here?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thepatriot2705 View Post
    initially it was aged 3 months. The 900 pounds left has aged over a year now
    So in 3 months, a drum of water and rock goes 5X in value? I guess it is just finding the right buyer and shipping costs...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    So in 3 months, a drum of water and rock goes 5X in value? I guess it is just finding the right buyer and shipping costs...
    Yup. I would have bought this quicklime last year and not had this issue but the place I bought it from said individuals couldn’t buy quicklime. So I believed him. Dumbass me didn’t look hard enough

Feedback Score
    Update: vibration helped slightly.
    Going to try some organic additives and distilled water.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thepatriot2705 View Post
    Update: vibration helped slightly.
    Going to try some organic additives and distilled water.
    I don't know if distilled is a lot more expensive than de-ionized, but DI should do what you are looking for- if you are thinking that pure water will react with the CaO faster.

Citric acid is a cheap pigment dispersant, but at the pH of the CaO dispersion, not sure what would happen, or the long term issues in the plaster. Also, additives may affect the viscosity and flow properties.

Sure seems like a heated, agitated, pressure cooker would help...

Fascinating.

What are you using for agregate and fibers?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I don't know if distilled is a lot more expensive than de-ionized, but DI should do what you are looking for- if you are thinking that pure water will react with the CaO faster.

Citric acid is a cheap pigment dispersant, but at the pH of the CaO dispersion, not sure what would happen, or the long term issues in the plaster. Also, additives may affect the viscosity and flow properties.

Sure seems like a heated, agitated, pressure cooker would help...

Fascinating.

What are you using for agregate and fibers?
    I only used distilled water as I want to avoid chlorine. When I make the plaster I’m using hemp fiber.

As for the lime putty I tried slaking quicklime in sugar. Used to much. Going to try again, but if I could find some calcium Lignosulfonate , it would help. No idea where to buy it. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...08884620311194

Lime is fascinating. Chinese would use rice and blood. Some Roman used ox blood to make a stronger mortar. The subject is almost never ending and because of modern materials, I don’t think we will ever realize the full potential of the stuff.
    Last edited by thepatriot2705; 05-16-21 at 00:43.

Feedback Score
    I vaguely recall hearing about an experiment exposing high temperature lime (can't recall what state) to high explosive compression. Testing the effects of high heat and pressure. If you come across the results of that in your travels please share, I'm curious.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Metallurgy is fascinating and is in someways, the history of society. Ceramics, I think, are the future. I was at a conference recently where they are starting to use the term 'peak plastic'- not because we can't make it, but because sentiment has turned away from single use plastics and the demand for recycling or alternatives is rising. Ceramics are even wilder and weirder than metals. I've been looking at geopolymers and how you can make a coffee mug that you can from multiple stories. Plus, we are never going to run out of silicates or clay...

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Ceramics and the like are certainly going to make great strides as manufacturing methods innovate. Looking at many of the "miracle" products currently available I can only imagine as more tech is applied. I've heard tidbits in scientific and engineering circles about the possibilities of future development, especially zero gee manufacturing and using existing space borne materials for construction. Thereby eliminating most of the lift requirements.

Right now is a pretty cool time but I'd love a peek at 100 years into the future. Assuming we don't F it up and go Roman Empire 2.0
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12