Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eotech/G33 combo

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Eotech/G33 combo

I have a MK18 that I use an Eotech EXPS3 on. Just recently added a G33 and have questions;

Eye box is super tight. I’ve moved the Eotech and g33 back a notch to help with that but can’t use back up irons and still need to adjust my stock from preferred position to make it usable. Any adjustments or ways you can set this up help?

Had something else to ask but can’t remember now. Guess that’s just the trade off of a magnifier though? Still super happy with it and don’t plan on changing it because it adds a lot of capability.

Feedback Score
    Eye box is what it is, my Aimpoint 3X-Mag-1 isn't much better than my old G33. Eye relief is definitely short, but I was able to use it just fine even with a folding rear sight; it was uncomfortable to crane my head that far forward when standing (my G33 was set up with the included spacer to make it sit taller), but was fine when I was prone; this was with a fully extended CTR and MOE-SL on an A5 length RE. One of the key reasons I was looking hard at the Aimpoint 6X-Mag-1 was because it was so long, and so it would be easier to deal with the short eye relief (the shitty FOV convinced me otherwise, though). Everyone's body is different, though, so it may not work for you.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Eye box is what it is, my Aimpoint 3X-Mag-1 isn't much better than my old G33. Eye relief is definitely short, but I was able to use it just fine even with a folding rear sight; it was uncomfortable to crane my head that far forward when standing (my G33 was set up with the included spacer to make it sit taller), but was fine when I was prone; this was with a fully extended CTR and MOE-SL on an A5 length RE. One of the key reasons I was looking hard at the Aimpoint 6X-Mag-1 was because it was so long, and so it would be easier to deal with the short eye relief (the shitty FOV convinced me otherwise, though). Everyone's body is different, though, so it may not work for you.
    Interesting. I normally run the stock fully extended with an Eotech or red dot. I have long arms and this seems best. With the magnifier even pretty far back I have to run the stock much further in. Nose to charging handle essentially and yea kind of have to crane forward. It’s workable, but with a Vortex Razor for instance there’s a lot more forgiveness with the eye box.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    Eye box is super tight. I’ve moved the Eotech and g33 back a notch to help with that but can’t use back up irons and still need to adjust my stock from preferred position to make it usable. Any adjustments or ways you can set this up help?
    Disclaimer: I mostly use an Aimpoint mag, and mostly with Aimpoints. I don’t own a G33, but I’ve used one occasionally, along with most other mags on the market.

I don’t think you needed to move the sight back, just the magnifier. Unless you had the Eo sight on the handguard. My personal Eotech lives over my barrel nut on a riser.

About not being able to use your BUIS, do you mean they won’t fit under the magnifier? If so:
    I’m using a Scalarworks 1.93” with my Aimpoint Magnifier to match the mounts on the optics I use it with, and it clears my rear MBUS(s) and an issued BUIS. I also use a Vortex Micro3x, lower third, with an Eotech on a PCC. I use a YHM 1/2” riser that both the dot and the mag fit on together, just in front of the BUIS rear, and that also clears. That could be a viable option. It works really well for me, but of course the sights cannot be used with the optics mounted. I loaned a buddy that magnifier, so if this thread is still going when I get it back, I’ll check it without the riser. I wanna say that it played nice with the BUIS when it was mounted lower 1/3, no riser, but I can’t remember for sure.

Or do you mean you can’t get the magnifier far enough back due to the BUIS?

Are you using an A5? Having a little extra to pull out when you go prone might help you get setup, but also might be pushing diminishing returns, or might not even help you, perhaps. Just a thought.

There’s a dude I shoot with weekly that is tall-ish and has the same EoTech/G33 optics with a carbine length stock. I’ll ask him what he thinks about all this. I know he’s been looking for a Unity riser for like 2 years because we have an agreement about hard to find stuff.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here’s a couple pics of my Eotech, magnifier, and stock position needed for good eye relief. It’s a carbine tube.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Hmm. Looks like you ran out of T-slots. You can try clicking the stock in by one and moving everything forward a T-notch, but that’ll be crazy cramped, especially with a short handguard. Sorry; I got nothing right now for this.

I tend to use my magnifiers more in the prone, where my nose naturally goes to the charging handle, anyway.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Hmm. Looks like you ran out of T-slots. You can try clicking the stock in by one and moving everything forward a T-notch, but that’ll be crazy cramped, especially with a short handguard. Sorry; I got nothing right now for this.

I tend to use my magnifiers more in the prone, where my nose naturally goes to the charging handle, anyway.
    Yea I mean it’s workable. I’m generally not using the magnifier for the shooting I’m doing anyway. But it’s nice for precise shots, sighting in, or PID I’d imagine is what it’s best for. Say PID at 100 yards when you can’t tell if it’s a cell phone or gun.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Like 1168 said you're just out of slots. I have mine mounted same position as yours and still have slots available to squeeze a KAC flip up in there.

EOTech install.jpeg
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 05-13-21 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    You have a rigid handguard design and irons are just backups, after all. Not saying it would be “pretty,” but you could easily run your rear iron forward of the EOTech. Sight radius isn’t as big a problem as people make it out to be (at least in this context) IMO.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
    You have a rigid handguard design and irons are just backups, after all. Not saying it would be “pretty,” but you could easily run your rear iron forward of the EOTech. Sight radius isn’t as big a problem as people make it out to be (at least in this context) IMO.
    Are you able to sight properly through the peep, like that? Usually when I make the “they’re just backups; sight radius is overrated” argument its for the front BUIS, not rear.
    RLTW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast