Thread: Ithaca 37 DS PS - opinions needed

Feedback Score

Ithaca 37 DS PS - opinions needed

I’ve wanted an Ithaca 37 for some time. Just found one for sale, DS PS (Deer Slayer Police Special) featherweight (that’s a lot of words for one shotgun).

It’s in satin nickel, and I prefer a more utilitarian parkerized look (I had a Win 1300 stainless marine and I traded it for a blued defender)

However whereas Winchesters are plentiful here in Switzerland, Ithacas are pretty scarce, so I’m hesitating to buy it anyway.

I’m sure plenty members are familiar with this shotguns, so opinions are welcomed. The gun for sale :

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They're very well made, especially for the price. If they're rare where you live and you want one, I wouldn't let the finish bother you. Ithacas are works of art compared to that Winchester you had. Don't think it's going to disappoint you!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Had a few 37's over the years and had a nice parkerized LAPD style DSPS I sold to pay some medical bills. Still have one left, a 5 shot DS. It's a mid 80's gun with the disconnector, but before the company was sold. They are very nice and nicely made. When you find the right load, great to shoot. The light weight does provide you with a hefty kick using some of the more stout ammunition. The issue with most Ithaca stock failures is at the wrist and is from over oiling and having the oil run down from the receiver into the stock when stored butt down. That one looks very clean. Treat it well and store it properly and you shouldn't have an issue with that.
    Last edited by mrbieler; 05-13-21 at 13:42.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I love the M37. Is that one of the older ones without a disconnector so you have some slam-fire goodness?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I love the M37. Is that one of the older ones without a disconnector so you have some slam-fire goodness?
    I don’t know yet

Feedback Score
    Yeah, you want that. I'm late to the party. Hope you picked it up.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Check the barrel, it might be rifled for sabot loads, rather than smooth bore for shotshells.

Mark

Feedback Score
    Sweet looking Ithaca. Well mage and functioning SG designed by the great JMB.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The slam fire was unknown to me, glad I was hunting alone. Missed a pheasant and pumped out the old shell "BOOM" that pheasant went down. I couldn't figure it out until my uncle explained the gun is not broke it was designed to do that. Pretty neat feature.

Feedback Score

Ithaca 37 DS PS - opinions needed

Thank you all for your opinions and experiences.

I saw another one at the LGS, parkerized

However, the stock fit and the price were both horrible

So I bought the satin nickel one for $ 600 and had it sent to another LGS, where it is in jail waiting for my permit.

Ithaca just informed me it was built in 1981.
    It has the slam fire, and it is a smooth bore

Last edited by OLIAR15; 05-26-21 at 08:15.