Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .300BO AR15 vs Steyr AUG in 5.56

Feedback Score

.300BO AR15 vs Steyr AUG in 5.56

Would there be any advantage, ballistically, to an AR15 in .300BO vs a 5.56 Steyr AUG? The overall length of the firearm would pretty much be even, but the AUG would have the advantage in barrel length at a full 16”. I know the main advantage in getting a .300BO would be reliability in a shorter barreled AR platform. Assuming I am very comfortable with the Steyr manual of arms, can you see any reason to pick up a .300BO AR. I think I am just trying to justify buying another firearm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No, unless you suppress it .

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    YouÂ’d have less money in your bank account and less effective range with the 300. ItÂ’s also not as cool as an AUG. the choice is yours.

Also, although I got lucky, I have heard of many troubles getting a 300 to run both suppressed and unsuppressed with super and subsonic ammo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I already had a good AR I would go with the Steyr cause it's friggin cool and if that is your pistol in your avatar I believe they will make a nice couple 😁

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like my 300 blk but you probably want an AUG sooner than later

Feedback Score
    What distances and application? If it's going to be used in mostly CQB distances, and used more for killing than plinking, (think primary home defense gun, etc) I'd take a 300BLK over 5.56. Also, if you want to run a suppressor, 300BLK is much quieter suppressed.

Outside of that, I think an AUG would be a more versatile option, and who doesn't want an AUG!?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    If I already had a good AR I would go with the Steyr cause it's friggin cool and if that is your pistol in your avatar I believe they will make a nice couple ��
    Haha, I actually already own an AUG, and that is a Steyr in my Avatar, good eye. I love Steyr.

I was thinking about picking up a .300 in addition, but I’m not sure it does anything my AUG and current 16” Noveske barreled AR won’t do. Again, I think I am trying to talk myself into buying something that won’t give me any real advantage over what I already have.

Last edited by yugo308guy; 05-14-21 at 14:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo308guy View Post
    Haha, I actually already own an AUG, and that is a Steyr in my Avatar, good eye. I love Steyr.

I was thinking about picking up a .300 in addition, but I’m not sure it does anything my AUG and current 16” Noveske barreled AR won’t do. Again, I think I am trying to talk myself into buying something that won’t give me any real advantage over what I already have.
    2 things:
    - A 300blk upper can be replaced down the road with a another upper, so if you don't like or shoot the thing, it's not the end of the world

- Buying another AR lower in the era of a potential ban on certain things is not a bad thing

Just my thoughts
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo308guy View Post

Haha, I like Steyr also, I don't own any but I get to shoot them as much as I like. My Girlfriend and her Dad love Steyr's. If I wasn't set with Glocks like I am I would probably have Steyr's myself.

All I can say about the 300 BO is that I have seen what it can do with Hogs and Deer, the Supersonic ammo does its job well, my best friend has a couple and I shoot and hunt with him a ton. I know there is some dang good Subsonic ammo that works well also if your running a can on it.

This is all I can really say about the 300 BO because my AR's are all 556 except the 6mm ARC I am slowly but surely putting together.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    YouÂ’d have less money in your bank account and less effective range with the 300. ItÂ’s also not as cool as an AUG. the choice is yours.

Also, although I got lucky, I have heard of many troubles getting a 300 to run both suppressed and unsuppressed with super and subsonic ammo.
    Maybe I got lucky twice.

Both of my .300's run both, even unsuppressed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast