Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I Prepare to Retire my 6.8 SPC [ Spec. II ] ? Any Comments & or Input ?

Feedback Score

Should I Prepare to Retire my 6.8 SPC [ Spec. II ] ? Any Comments & or Input ?

Good Morning Kids, In addition to looking around for an 14.5" Upper, I've also been debating some options as to what the future holds for the 6.8 SPC Cartridge. First, let me state unequivocally that I personally LOVE my 6.8, which is a early production Stag Model 5 Carbine. [ However, I have always had an affinity for the slightly unusual, non-mainstream weapons & calibers, such as my Savage 99 in .358 Winchester, Glock 37 / 38 in .45 GAP, etc. ] My Stag, when purchased way back when, I had initially intended to buy just the Upper, but the seller offered me the complete weapon for a great price, so at least it's a complete with an 6.8 SPC marked Lower. In some ways I hate to part with it, as it's 'part for part', the equal of either of my Colts as far as fit & finish go anyway. Plus, caliber markings not withstanding, I could always utilize the Lower for someone else. My big, primary concern is regarding future ammunition supply, or should I say, lack thereof ! IIRC, years back there used to be a Website showing the relevant 'market position' of both SAAMI approved ammunition sales along with he same for RCBS & perhaps a few other brands of Reloading Dies ? I would just love to know exactly where the 6.8 SPC / Spec. II stands in relation to the other calibers within its particular realm. If anyone else out there has any relevant information on this issue, I would deeply appreciate hearing from them. THANK YOU Gents,

Best, Dom P. / dpast32

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Dom,

It is still around. Pre-panic, it looked like Grendel was surpassing it in popularity based on the shelf space devoted to each locally. Honestly, it looked like SPC was dying out, although it seems to have a niche popularity on the internet. Peri-panic, it has been about as available as the other “alternative” AR chamberings. If you reload, the case got used for Valk, so if that catches on (I’m skeptical, despite the good performance), it’ll help keep brass available.

I think it’ll still be another 5+ years before it becomes a special order only niche of ammo. But I also think that the time that you could easily find a 1k case locally is years behind us.

I’d keep it, and I say that as a dude that *mostly* avoids “alternative” calibers. But I do have a .35 Rem levergun and a Grendel upper.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Or you could re-barrel it to a 6.5 Grendel. But I'm not sure I would make any decision based on ammo availability in the current market. Hang onto it for now and see how things unfold.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Should I Prepare to Retire my 6.8 SPC [ Spec. II ] ? Any Comments & or Input ?

Quote Originally Posted by dpast32 View Post
    First, let me state unequivocally that I personally LOVE my 6.8, which is a early production Stag Model 5 Carbine.

........it's a complete with an 6.8 SPC marked Lower.

In some ways I hate to part with it, as it's 'part for part', the equal of either of my Colts as far as fit & finish go anyway.
    The 6.8 SPC cartridge is as effective now as it was 10 years ago. If you don’t hand load, then this is a good reason to start (after the Pandemic ends.

Obviously you like it, so getting rid of it will just end up annoying you later. Keep it.

After the barrel’s used up, then it may be time to consider selling the lower vs buying a new 6.8 barrel.

I don’t shoot mine often, so my barrel will probably outlast me. I wouldn’t think for a second about getting rid of it. It gets along well with my not even broken in yet Grendel just fine.
    Last edited by grizzman; 05-14-21 at 10:04.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, I've regretted the few weapons I've sold over the years, I'd keep it .

Feedback Score
    Hey THANKS Guys, I appreciate the input. When initially purchased, the 6.8x43 SPC was being highly touted by many, & was being watched by many more. I personally liked the 110 +/- grain head at around 2,500 FPS for an 'all around' short to medium range defensive weapon, so having a few extra bucks at the time, purchased one, along with 400 rds of the old 'red box' Hornandy L.E. 'TAP' Ammo. I ordered 200 of each, TAP & TAP Urban, along with a few hundred Remington FMC Loads. Most of the Remington is gone, but I still have all the TAP stored away. I ordered 7x PRI 25 rd Magazines, which along with the Barrett versions were the best available at the time. But, lately it just sits in silence, awaiting the call.

Best, Dom P.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have 2 6.8spc and enough ammo to outlast me. I have no plans on changing that. Ballistics are fantastic. The only issue I have is that were not getting 30rnd mags for 8 bucks.

Feedback Score
    Years ago I considered which caliber I wanted for defense; finally settling on 6.8 SPC. I have an LWRC and a lot of ammo. I share your concerns that 6.8 might become an oddity. However, the ballistics for my own purpose are far superior than 5.56. IMO, 300 Blackout gets the nod for some (not all) people simply because it fits in a standard AR and is thus more economical. I prefer 6.8 to 300BO. In addition, my thought process was guided by the belief that there is probably never going to be a single cartridge developed that will be truly optimal for CQC, ergonomic/economics, and distance shooting. Therefore I am at peace with my choice knowing that the stopping power of my weapon is IMO, far superior than 5.56. The only weapon I have encountered which also serves my own purpose without jumping to 7.62x51 is the CMMG MK47 Resolute 7.62x39. The cost and availability of this caliber needs no comment; and I can tell you that I love shooting this gun. In 1992 I decided to settle on the 10mm cartridge. It was a much bigger decision then because I had very little money; but I made this decision for the same reasons I settled on 6.8 SPC. 10mm died for a while, but I didn't care because it's ballistics suited my purpose and I reloaded. Now look at the resurgence of popularity of 10mm. I would not count out 6.8 SPC for the same reason.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I too have pondered the '6.5 Grendel vs 6.8 SPC' debate, & although I've come to the undeniable fact that the Grendel is indeed a more efficient round for engagements over the 500 - 600 meters mark. If you study the relative ballistics of the two, you'll see without any doubt that over the above noted range, the Grendel holds the field. However, under the magic 550 mark, their relative external ballistics remain similar enough to allow the decision between the two to boil down to individual preference, ammunition availability, both local & mail order, along with existing weapons systems, if any ? In my particular case, I already have my beautiful STAG M-5 [ Spec. II, 16" bbl., M-4 Style ] which IIRC, was mfg'd in 2007 per Stag Arms confirmation when e-mailing to verify my chamber type. Personally, I haven't lost any love for my 6.8 SPC, & I feel it serves b the shooter quite well provided its use is kept within it's 'effective range'. Drawbacks ? Well, as with literally anything & everything in life, there's always some drawbacks, you simply can't get around it. You do loose 5 rounds of capacity in a 30 rd 5.56 format Magazine, & its recoil being slightly greater. But, I personally can deal with those issues, as can most individuals. Other than those, & of course your ammunition load being somewhat heavier, there isn't very much difference between it & the 5.56 variant in overall terms. Hopefully, when the ammunition availability issue is put to rest, one of the large volume ammunition manufacturers will see fit to add the 6.8 SPC Loading to their lineup ? If they can produce the Grendel, they can surely provide 6.8, if they see it as financially feasible ? These large East European producers do have another motive for offering the 6.5 Grendel, & that is, IIRC Serbia's Military / Police Forces either use it, or it may have become their standard issue Rifle caliber ? As with everything else, 'money' is the overall, underlying reason for most decisions, IMHO. I decided to keep my 6.8, although for now, it's resting, as its Lower is being utilized for my new BCM SOCOM Upper. But, as with the beauty of the AR15 System as a whole, I can simply & effortlessly swap it back to 6.8 SPC whenever I desire ! I would definitely say keep it if at all possible, for as we're all aware, who truly knows what will be available, & or permissible in the near future under the 'Bobble Head in Chief's increasingly Draconian quasi Dictatorship ?

Dom P.
    Last edited by dpast32; 06-28-21 at 08:31.

Feedback Score
    I see that Winchester is now manufacturing their USA Ready brand in 6.8 SPC 115 gr. OTHP.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast