Thread: Help identify type of heat shield

Feedback Score

Help identify type of heat shield

I was going to install the classic triangular hand guards on this gun with a DPMS upper but they will not fit. The hand guard cap is different and I have never seen this type of heat shield. I need help identifying what type of heat shield it is so I can research what I need to do. I thought about just replace the barrel with a 20” pencil barrel that is not stainless steel. The hand guard that is on the gun now is the ribbed ones. Thanks for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't think that's a heat shield. That looks like a national match type float tube for service rifle competition. It retains the traditional external appearance while floating the barrel.

Standard handguards had to have some plastic routed out of the front lip in order to clear the tube, without any sort of traditional heat shield involved.

Here is a pic of the handguard on my old CLE match upper.

....Ignore the stick-on wheel weights, they are only really helpful when firing offhand

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sgtrock82; 05-14-21 at 13:28.

Feedback Score
    Well you are correct. It is a CMP upper by DPMS. What would be the best way to change it out? Thanks for the help

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    IIRC, the front sight base has to come off first. I'm not sure how DPMS did theirs but set screws and locktite were pretty common methods for CMP type rifles.

Next the front portion of the tube should spin off. a strap wrench should do the job, it will probably have some sort of threadlocker on it.(a pipe wrench will do to if your not concerned about the float tube) A new barrel nut is probably required

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sgtrock82; 05-15-21 at 02:33.