Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: I was shocked to see this about cars...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I don't know if we're talking about the same thing but EVs like Teslas are 0-60 in under 3 seconds. They've been out for years and years. There's even a model with "Ludicrous mode" that does 0-60 in 2.5. It's been out since like 2016

Besides what's the difference? If 0-6 is 4 seconds everything is so much safer? I'm not sure how you think they work but touching the gas pedal doesn't instantly put you at 60 ....or whatever. You can drive it like any other car.

As for being common. All over the place here. Drive around here and about every 3rd car is a Tesla. Pull up to a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods or a nice restaurant and the parking lot may as well be a Tesla dealership. And kids drive them too. Plenty of families here who use Tesla as a every day family car which the kids use too.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    My point is the discussed performance is not the norm as of yet & no I do not believe every 3rd car in your area does 0-60 in under 3 seconds...I would be saying the same thing if gassers / diesels or nuclear fueled vehicles had Hellcat / 911 turbo / ZL1 / AMG type abilities. You start handing out that sort acceleration to teenagers & others who do not have the respect the vehicle deserves??

I personally don't see current speed / performance junkies looking at the tesla / ev's for their fix, but it's coming & unavoidable...same way I don't see most tesla buyers buying the vehicle for it's acceleration abilities. It's simply evolving & something to watch as the companies want to one up each other.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    If EVs are the future, why aren’t we upgrading our ability to generate electricity? Our grid needs tons of work, especially in California where these cars will likely be widely accepted. As much as talked about gasoline storage in this thread, I can store gasoline much easier than I can store electricity.

I foresee many situations where people would be cranking up their gasoline generators to charge their cars because they have to get to work.

I hope the technology does improve to become viable for those other than the short-range commuters. I hope we do take the shortcomings of our electrical grid and power generation seriously and come up with viable power generation methods cheaper and cleaner than coal. I also hope we drop the stigma of nuclear energy.

And for the love of god, $15k for every five years for batteries is insanity. While engine maintenance isn’t going to be a thing, things like bearings, belts, tires, etc are still going to cost money. The higher buy-in price means there probably isn’t any cost of ownership savings to EVs….in fact, it’s probably more expensive to own. Oh, and you have to pay for that electricity which is just going to get higher.

Our 2014 Mazda 6 has 180k on. We’ve so replaced the belt twice, one bearing, and tires three times. We were due for a battery, decided to hold off but the original is holding out for now. And it gets 40 mpg highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The government is broke, so don't look to them to solve our infrastructure problems. Going forward, whatever the private sector doesn't handle won't get handled. This decade is probably going to be defined by a collapse of government services and the subsequent rise of corporate oligarchs.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I saw this video and thought it was relevant to the topic at hand:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwevvreoNjE

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    I foresee many situations where people would be cranking up their gasoline generators to charge their cars because they have to get to work.
    I cant wait for the future.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I cant wait for the future.

In the early days of internal combustion engines, horses had to be used to tow the cars home when they would break down, or bring them fuel if they ran out unexpectedly. People got a good laugh, and then about ten years later they were left feeling really stupid. Given the acceleration of technological advance, you won't have to wait as long as they did.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    My point is the discussed performance is not the norm as of yet & no I do not believe every 3rd car in your area does 0-60 in under 3 seconds...I would be saying the same thing if gassers / diesels or nuclear fueled vehicles had Hellcat / 911 turbo / ZL1 / AMG type abilities. You start handing out that sort acceleration to teenagers & others who do not have the respect the vehicle deserves??

I personally don't see current speed / performance junkies looking at the tesla / ev's for their fix, but it's coming & unavoidable...same way I don't see most tesla buyers buying the vehicle for it's acceleration abilities. It's simply evolving & something to watch as the companies want to one up each other.
    LoL ok whatever you say.

No everyone I know who has one has it because it's is/was different/luxury/expensive.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    In the early days of internal combustion engines, horses had to be used to tow the cars home when they would break down, or bring them fuel if they ran out unexpectedly. People got a good laugh, and then about ten years later they were left feeling really stupid. Given the acceleration of technological advance, you won't have to wait as long as they did.
    Automobiles had rather significant performance and utility benefits over horses/donkeys/mules/oxen. EVs do not have significant benefits over internal combustion engines.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Automobiles had rather significant performance and utility benefits over horses/donkeys/mules/oxen. EVs do not have significant benefits over internal combustion engines.

Andy
    You've obviously never lived in large cities like New York. I have, and the smog problem is very real. It stinks, and it's bad for people's health. Your statement is like saying a nuclear sub has no benefits over diesel. But the benefits are myriad.

Just the increased acceleration on its own is a tangible enough benefit to justify higher costs. Then there's the reliability and virtually no required maintenance over the lifespan of the vehicle.

But costs won't be higher for long. With certain models, the cost of ownership is already getting very close to comparable cars. Costs are going to go down dramatically though, to the point where driving an EV will be so much cheaper no one will be able to afford not to.

Feedback Score
    Until batteries are improved and are much cheaper, the cost of ownership will remain significantly higher. At this point it’s not that the cars aren’t good, it’s that logistically and financially, they are a burden to people. The majority of that burden is that battery technology still sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    You've obviously never lived in large cities like New York. I have, and the smog problem is very real. It stinks, and it's bad for people's health. Your statement is like saying a nuclear sub has no benefits over diesel. But the benefits are myriad.

Just the increased acceleration on its own is a tangible enough benefit to justify higher costs. Then there's the reliability and virtually no required maintenance over the lifespan of the vehicle.

But costs won't be higher for long. With certain models, the cost of ownership is already getting very close to comparable cars. Costs are going to go down dramatically though, to the point where driving an EV will be so much cheaper no one will be able to afford not to.
    I have lived in cities larger than New York.

An EV is an evolutionary development, internal combustion engines revolutionized the way human beings live.

Not everyone lives in cities. I could certainly make use of an EV, but it would need to be in the $10,000 range to be worth it because I still need a vehicle that can travel 1200 miles in a 24 hour period.

We do not have batteries made from cheap, common materials using environmentally clean processes. A 10000 fold increase in EVs is also nowhere near sustainable by our power grid.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 05-20-21 at 05:58.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast