Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: I was shocked to see this about cars...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    Problem is we live in a small town in the middle of no where. Its 32 miles one way for her. And i dont even think there is a charging station any where near us. Or her work.

I on the other hand. I drive 4-5 miles daily. But i have to haul a boat. Or a wheela or haul steel to a jobsite. So that option for ev is not even on your radar.

Yeah, it is not for everyone. But even if your wife made it to work on EV power and used gasoline on the way home, the savings add up. And for around town and stuff in addition.

Your situation is why EVs are not ready yet -- too many downsides and not enough upsides for the general population as a prime vehicle. The plugin hybrids are a good in between car for those wanting to get their feet wet. 30-50 miles is not a bad EV range if you have a gasoline engine backing you up and for the "average" person, will probably cover a majority of your driving needs on EV (around town, groceries, etc).
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    The f150 may be up your alley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ya? How much can this ford haul and how far? Sometimes jobsites can be over 2 hours away. Hauling couple thousand pounds of weight in the bed. I dont think that will end well.

No offense, I will never, ever buy another ford. Without going into a debate about trucks like some of the car forums turn into.

untill i have a charger thats closer then 40 miles away, and can last 14 hours one way, i will not be buying and EV. Like i said before, I go from maine to NC multiple times a year.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You guys know that most electricity is made from fossil fuels right? I have nothing against EV's. I like electric motors actually, but if you don't have a solar system at your house and/or charge your EV in some sort of free energy way, you are essentially saving nothing. Not to mention the extra cost of the EV itself and battery replacement and disposal cost when that comes around. Sure they get about $300K-500K miles on a battery now, but so does my LX570 5.7L...easily. In fact, it can go a lot more than that.

Until charging becomes almost instantaneous, it is kind of an inconvenience.

Feedback Score
    About 60% of electricity generated in the US is from fossil fuels. It's 0% around here (Sequoyah and Watts Barr nuclear) 10 cents kWh. If what I've read is close to accurate that's the equivalent of about $1/gal of gas. Gas is creeping up in price here $2.50+/gal.

Not sure how cost effective home solar panels would be but I like the idea of being able to recharge a vehicle off the grid.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 05-27-21 at 09:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    Ya? How much can this ford haul and how far? Sometimes jobsites can be over 2 hours away. Hauling couple thousand pounds of weight in the bed. I dont think that will end well.

No offense, I will never, ever buy another ford. Without going into a debate about trucks like some of the car forums turn into.

untill i have a charger thats closer then 40 miles away, and can last 14 hours one way, i will not be buying and EV. Like i said before, I go from maine to NC multiple times a year.
    I was basing off your 4-5 miles. You didn’t say anything about 14 hours in your previous post.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    About 60% of electricity generated in the US is from fossil fuels. It's 0% around here (Sequoyah and Watts Barr nuclear) 10 cents kWh. If what I've read is close to accurate that's the equivalent of about $1/gal of gas. Gas is creeping up in price here $2.50+/gal.

Not sure how cost effective home solar panels would be but I like the idea of being able to recharge a vehicle off the grid.
    60% would be well into the majority. For you, it makes a little more sense, but with that $1.50/gallon delta that you have, what is it when you factor in the extra cost of the EV versus non, + the time spent waiting to recharge on any long trips?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    60% would be well into the majority. For you, it makes a little more sense, but with that $1.50/gallon delta that you have, what is it when you factor in the extra cost of the EV versus non, + the time spent waiting to recharge on any long trips?
    I mentioned earlier in the thread that we'll be purchasing a hybrid minivan for our recreational travel so over-the-road charging won't be an issue. I don't take my truck on long trips. I plan to replace my 2000 Tundra with an all-electric truck.

Not sure what the price premium for an EV will be, but if we compared the Ford Lightening to a current gas Tundra... Ford says their Lightening will start at $40k. Toyota Tundra starts at $34k. There's not a great price spread but you'd have to factor how each vehicle is actually equipped. A top of the line F-150 gas Lariat has a starting price of $71,000. Toyota is supposed to have a Tundra redo for 2022... so... who knows.

Ford says they expect ownership costs of their Lightening will be half of their F-150 gas trucks based on electricity costs vs gas, maintenance costs and improved vehicle uptime (aimed at fleet sales no doubt).

To answer your question... If we used the Tundra's 13-17mpg (also what my truck is rated) at $1.50/gal equivalent savings with electric, that would be 4k gallons to make up for the Lightening's $6k price premium mentioned above, or 52-68k miles based on Tundra's mpg. Of course that's a rather crude comparison based only on fuel.

I drove by Sam's Club yesterday. I saw folks lined up six deep at the pumps to save 10 cents a gallon. The idea of being able to refuel (recharge) at home is really growing on me.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 05-27-21 at 14:00.

Feedback Score
    I did say something about 14.5 hours in my original comment. but if you missed that, i could see basing it off the mileage I drive daily.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    You guys know that most electricity is made from fossil fuels right? I have nothing against EV's. I like electric motors actually, but if you don't have a solar system at your house and/or charge your EV in some sort of free energy way, you are essentially saving nothing. Not to mention the extra cost of the EV itself and battery replacement and disposal cost when that comes around. Sure they get about $300K-500K miles on a battery now, but so does my LX570 5.7L...easily. In fact, it can go a lot more than that.

Until charging becomes almost instantaneous, it is kind of an inconvenience.
    If you drive 300-500k miles then a battery change would factor into your price but realistically who does?? Very few people and by then those cars are 15+ years old. I managed to do 220k on one car in 7 years but I was trying. Avg 31.5k a year. Cabs avg 50k a year and they're none stop

At $3.15/gal regular it doesn't matter that electricity is made from fossil fuels kwph is still cheaper.

If you drive far constantly and have a specific window of time you can travel then it is an inconvenience. However if my drive is over a 24hr I don't really care if there an hour added on to it. The only time I see this as an inconvenience is if a 10hr trips turns into a 27hr trip based on the locations of the charging stations. That's a pain in the ass for sure but adding an hour to an already day long trip ....eh... whatever.... driving that long I'm going to pull over and take a walk anyway

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Won’t the battery die regardless of mileage?

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast