Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to get into archery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Want to get into archery

Archery had been peaking my interest lately and I was thinking of getting into it but I don't want to, and quiet frankly can't drop a G on something I don't know if I'll like or even follow though with. Might turn into one of those I shoot once in a while.

Is there something good in the under $500 range (ideally around $300 would be awesome) or is that all just HiPoints?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 05-15-21 at 08:55.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Check Craigslist or a similar website for used archery equipment. There's always some listed in my area

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you looking at target archery or possibly hunting. There are a lot of decent bows under $500, but depending on your goals and how much time you spend shooting, you might find you’ll out grow the bow. If you look in the $5-800 range you’ll find a bow that you’ll probably not feel the need to replace down the road. You’re in PA right? Lancaster Archery is one of the best retailers in the country. I would check out their website and get some ideas, then depending on what you’re interested in, go check out their store if it’s not too much of a drive for you. They’ll measure your draw length and get you set up. If there is a product you’re specifically interested in, definitely call to make sure they have it in the showroom. They have a high online business, and sometimes the store might not have something in stock and it’s over at their warehouse.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Want to get into archery

Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    Check Craigslist or a similar website for used archery equipment. There's always some listed in my area
    If you do this, you are still going to probably need to take it to a shop to have the draw length adjusted and peep sight moved. Can you do it yourself? Probably, but it can be difficult if you’ve never done it, and may require a bow press.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 05-15-21 at 12:13.

Feedback Score
    Check out used. I got a PSE for fishing for $100 that I’d have no problem configuring to hunt with.

If you can, find a used Mathews, if I recall, they are the only company that still makes parts for every bow they’ve ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Like everyone has said look for used bows. Archery equipment seems to change fast and none of it holds its value. Used bows that are 5-10 years old can be found super cheap.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you just want to target shoot you cannot go wrong with a Genesis. I bought one for my daughter when she was competing in high school years ago and we still use it at home. The design makes it great for kids through adults.

https://genesisbow.com/product/genesis/
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Archery had been peaking my interest lately and I was thinking of getting into it but I don't want to, and quiet frankly can't drop a G on something I don't know if I'll like or even follow though with. Might turn into one of those I shoot once in a while.

Is there something good in the under $500 range (ideally around $300 would be awesome) or is that all just HiPoints?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Traditional or compound?

Feedback Score
    Go to an archery pro shop, get measured for your draw length and decide, recurve or compound and shoot some different bows to see what draw weight your are comfortable with. Then shop the used market. Many hunters have the want to upgrade yearly to the latest greatest and sell their old bow completely set up with all the accessories. Accessories are often half the cost of a complete set up.
    Your should be able to find a completely outfitted bow 2-5 years old that fits you perfectly (important point missed by many) for 250-600 dollars.

Totally agree on the Lancaster Archery comment, I have bought 3 bows and a cross bow from them, great knowledgeable people especially the owner. He spent 2 hours setting setting my wife up for a less than $300 recurve, made a customer out of her and she recommended them to friends.
    Last edited by MAUSER202; 05-15-21 at 14:57.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Going to a pro shop to try different styles and draw weights is excellent advice. I just recently started as a beginner recreational archer. Shop recommended a Samick Sage recurve bow. Reasons were the riser can be had either left hand or right hand. It's also a takedown bow, the limbs are screwed on with threaded knobs which allow you to start out with a lighter draw weight and as you get stronger you can step up to stiffer limbs to increase the velocity and gain distance. For $200 it included a forearm guard, couple of bow strings, glove, bow stringer, and quiver. Extra limbs can be had for $55 to $60. Just as important is the stiffness, length and weight of the arrows. The pro shop can set you up with that. Also set aside some money for lessons. A good instructor can make all the difference. Just like shooting lessons!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast