Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to get into archery

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My dad was a PSE dealer back when I was a kid, he started me out early but never pushed anything on me. By the time I was 14 I could draw his #80 cam bow. Late 80’s cams were wild in profile. His bow was all tricked out with sights and all. I was taught to shoot instinctively and never cared for pins and peeps. I remember when Beeman came out with carbon arrows and I had my little PSE 50lbs bow screaming those arrows but the word going around was that the carbon would kill you if ingested from game shot. I would throttle the investment and go to a pawn shop and get a cheaper bow to see if it is for you. To this day I am still rocking my pawn shop Pro-Line Force II with no sights. I dig it out once in a while and it is a good escape to my childhood and enjoy getting lost in those memories shooting it. Most recently I was looking at a Cajun Sucker Punch II and a PSE Mud Dawg for bow fishing. I ended up finding a guy getting out of the guide business on the equivalent of Craig’s list in my area and got them both for the price of a single new one. I don’t think I have ever had a new bow except the first PSE my dad got me.

My advice, get something cheap, expect to lose a few arrows, and have some fun. You can leave it there or really dig in.

Feedback Score
    Head over to cabelas or bass pro. Lots of bow setups that would work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Are you looking at target archery or possibly hunting. There are a lot of decent bows under $500, but depending on your goals and how much time you spend shooting, you might find you’ll out grow the bow. If you look in the $5-800 range you’ll find a bow that you’ll probably not feel the need to replace down the road. You’re in PA right? Lancaster Archery is one of the best retailers in the country. I would check out their website and get some ideas, then depending on what you’re interested in, go check out their store if it’s not too much of a drive for you. They’ll measure your draw length and get you set up. If there is a product you’re specifically interested in, definitely call to make sure they have it in the showroom. They have a high online business, and sometimes the store might not have something in stock and it’s over at their warehouse.
    Ideally something all around but I realize that trying to be good at everything sometimes means it's good at nothing. With that in mind I'm leaning more on hunting. Lancaster is about hour and half away. About the same for Cabela's

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Traditional or compound?
    Actually I hadn't thought of that. I automatically had the image of a compound bow when thinking about getting into archery but traditional sounds cool. This is like first getting into firearms....they all sound cool when you don't know what's what!

Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    Going to a pro shop to try different styles and draw weights is excellent advice. I just recently started as a beginner recreational archer. Shop recommended a Samick Sage recurve bow. Reasons were the riser can be had either left hand or right hand. It's also a takedown bow, the limbs are screwed on with threaded knobs which allow you to start out with a lighter draw weight and as you get stronger you can step up to stiffer limbs to increase the velocity and gain distance. For $200 it included a forearm guard, couple of bow strings, glove, bow stringer, and quiver. Extra limbs can be had for $55 to $60. Just as important is the stiffness, length and weight of the arrows. The pro shop can set you up with that. Also set aside some money for lessons. A good instructor can make all the difference. Just like shooting lessons!
    Ooo....I didn't think left/right hand would matter. Actually I didn't think of that at all. I would definitely need left handed bow.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12