Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt M5 rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    There is an unsold 901 at a local gun store, that has been sitting on the shelf collecting dust for years. The $2,500.00 asking price might have something to do with it.
    Care to reveal the name of this LGS?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    "Severely outdated". Lmao. Go tell all those door kickers using "severely outdated" carbine length gas 14.5" M4's. Keep in mind that the test you're referring to with the midlength URGI was using M855A1 ammunition, which is damn near proof pressures. Of course it's going to hold up better than a 14.5" carbine. There is other testing such as by the Army that showed the M4A1 having over 3600 Mean Rounds Between Stoppages using M855. Y'know, ammunition at pressures that the rifle was actually designed for. It's funny to me how the tacticool AR world thinks one of the most proven gas/barrel length combos is severely outdated. We're not talking laser guns vs muskets here. At the end of the day these are still just select fire 5.56mm assault rifles that are more than reliable enough for high volume use. Nothing is game changing either way to make anything outdated.
    Has there been problems with 14.5" midlengths in cold temperatures with normal 5.56 ammo? Or is the solution to just change to a lighter buffer like the standard carbine one?

Obviously if Colt releases M5 in 16", they should make it midlength.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ta0117 View Post
    Has there been problems with 14.5" midlengths in cold temperatures with normal 5.56 ammo? Or is the solution to just change to a lighter buffer like the standard carbine one?

Obviously if Colt releases M5 in 16", they should make it midlength.
    I don't think it's been tested, or if it has the results have not been publicly revealed like the CRANE test. I doubt it's been tested by the military at all. They're using M855A1 and have no plans of switching back, there is no point for them testing M855 any more than there's a point in them testing Vietnam-era-spec M193 ammunition. I suspect you'd see some undergassing in Arctic-like temps, or at the very least you would with .223-pressure ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    I don't think it's been tested, or if it has the results have not been publicly revealed like the CRANE test. I doubt it's been tested by the military at all. They're using M855A1 and have no plans of switching back, there is no point for them testing M855 any more than there's a point in them testing Vietnam-era-spec M193 ammunition. I suspect you'd see some undergassing in Arctic-like temps, or at the very least you would with .223-pressure ammo.
    Well think about it: if the M855A1 is generally considered a "hot" round, then Artic temps might actually bring it to more "normal" 5.56 levels.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Well think about it: if the M855A1 is generally considered a "hot" round, then Artic temps might actually bring it to more "normal" 5.56 levels.
    I'm talking about testing regular pressure 5.56 in a URGI upper in arctic conditions, not M855A1. I don't see it happening though with M855A1 being the future for the military. Baseline reliability testing for the 14.5" carbine gas M4A1 has shown a mean rounds between stoppages of about 3600, and supposedly that number had increased with the use of Gen 3 Pmags.

I also have some skepticism regarding the CRANE test pitting the 14.5" carbine gas M4 against brand new URGI uppers, using brand new Daniel Defense barrels. The military has a bad habit of using old, worn out M4's for testing comparisons while what it's being tested against is almost always brand new. Those who remember the "Dust Test" from the 2007 time period might remember Colt raising a stink about the results of that test (and rightfully so), after running the serial numbers on the M4's tested and discovering that they were very early M4's that had seen a lot of rounds through them. Combine that with the military's tendency to use deadlined rifles for replacement parts and you've got a recipe for poor testing results compared to competitors using brand new factory rifles with brand new enhanced magazines. What kind of round count were the 14.5" carbine gas M4A1s at that were used in the CRANE test? How old were the rifles/uppers? What mags were they using? A lot of very important variables are unknown and will likely never be known to us mere civilians.
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 05-22-21 at 19:50.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Oh for the summers of 2018 and 2019... when LE6920-R Troopers could be had for $700 and Colt CR762-16S could be had for $1400 shipped.

Wish I had bought 10 of each.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Oh for the summers of 2018 and 2019... when LE6920-R Troopers could be had for $700 and Colt CR762-16S could be had for $1400 shipped.

Wish I had bought 10 of each.
    Isn't that the truth.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    It is the task of our generation, yours and mine. But we build and defend not for our generation alone. We defend the foundations laid down by our fathers. We build a life for generations yet unborn.
    We defend and we build a way of life, not for America alone, but for all mankind. Ours is a high duty, a noble task.---Franklin Delano Roosevelt May 26th, 1940.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 05-30-21 at 08:11.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    https://soldiersystems.net/2021/09/1...omment-1277359

Looks like Colt is showing off the M5 in London.

Sell it here. CZ, please.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    https://soldiersystems.net/2021/09/1...omment-1277359

Looks like Colt is showing off the M5 in London.

Sell it here. CZ, please.

There is very little reason not to.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast