Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I learned something new (to me) about the AR

Feedback Score

I learned something new (to me) about the AR

So, for my first post here I thought I would share a story that embarrassed me a bit, having owned AR's as long as I have. Just when I thought I knew all there was to know aside from the newly manufactured stuff, I was humbled. Isn't life grand that way?

I never knew that if the gas tube overheated to melting, the rifle could still be operated as a bolt action using the charging handle.

Maybe everyone knew that and I'm just the village idiot(I'll take it), but perhaps it'll be a learning opportunity for someone else.
    Since we're at it, have you discovered something about the AR that you should've known about?
    Last edited by AOTAC; 05-15-21 at 22:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Likely some AR owners users know this but more likely the vast majority of AR owners do well to fire the sob (imo).

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I don't think I knew that either but it does make sense.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It never crossed my mind, but yea I guess it would. You might have some nasty burns on your hand though.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not a critique of the OP, but every video I've seen where the M4/AR was shot to failure it was the barrel that let go before the gas tube. Maybe I've just not seen enough video of these kinds of things.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Not a critique of the OP, but every video I've seen where the M4/AR was shot to failure it was the barrel that let go before the gas tube. Maybe I've just not seen enough video of these kinds of things.
    Ive definitely seen the gas tube rupture during destructive testing videos. I cant remember if it was Colt's video or one done by IV8888 though.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is the Colt test I was talking about. I cant find the original video. The gas tube ruptures around 4:25 in the video and he shoots several rounds bolt action style after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzfm4pYhIyY
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    MrGunsNGear did a melt down and the gas tube ruptured at 1075ish rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WD0W4ry0LY
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Feedback Score
    Had no idea that was possible

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If more people dry fired, this would be more instinctive...

Malfunction clearances are the same way, and believe me, I should be doing more of both. The only reason I'm here (alive) is because of malfunction clearance training and drills.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast