Thread: Leupold VX Freedom AR 3-9 Mini Review/Gripe

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Leupold VX Freedom AR 3-9 Mini Review/Gripe

I picked up this scope pretty cheap to put on a 20" upper build for my brother.

It has decent glass, a TMR reticle, and seems to be typical Leupold quality. If Leupold had only stopped there...

They put a BDC elevation dial on the scope that ranges from 100 yards to 600 something with a positive stop at 100. To zero the scope, you use the worlds smallest hex key (provided) to loosen the dial, re-tighten, adjust, and then repeat until the scope is zeroed at 100 yards. At that point, you loosen the dial again and set it to stop at the "1" mark.

I don't think I have ever zeroed a scope with a more frustrating system. Before I was through, I had removed the dial and just used kung-fu grip on the smooth turret that remained. I am sure the system makes sense to someone, but I'm still baffled how Leupold thought this is an improvement over anything.

I would much rather they had just supplied a regular capped or a target turret.

Its too bad, because its not a terrible scope and I fully expect my brother to get plenty of use out of it. It is pretty clear and has a useable eyebox at 9X. It even looks decently purposeful with a pair of pop-up caps installed.

I'm not really suprised Leupold discontinued it so quickly - it was not their best effort.

Andy

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The Burris Fullfield is much worse. You have to jam something small like the tip of a .17 HMR round into the body of the dial and spin it back to the "0" mark while holding the top of the turret to keep it from moving