Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: King of the LPvO's - 2021

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Vortex was an unknown 15 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    15 years ago the ONLY scope in this category worth a crap was the S&B Short Dot. And I mean the ONLY one. Nothing else was even close to day time visible or even close to a true 1x.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    15 years ago the ONLY scope in this category worth a crap was the S&B Short Dot. And I mean the ONLY one. Nothing else was even close to day time visible or even close to a true 1x.
    Not even the NF NXS 1-4x24? Not daylight bright, but I've been told that with the FC2, it was fine even without illumination. Not saying it is as nice as the Short Dot, but I was under the impression that it was also a viable LVPO back then.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 09-24-21 at 12:37.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Not even the NF NXS 1-4x24? Not daylight bright, but I've been told that with the FC2, it was fine even without illumination. Not saying it is as nice as the Short Dot, but I was under the impression that it was also a viable LVPO back then.
    That optic was more than a few years after the short dot and not in the same class in many respects...image, eyebox, 1x use/brightness. Certainly some advantages over favorites of the day, but not enough to make a bunch of lpvo believers.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The Short Dot had no equal when it came out. It took years for the industry to catch up.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Given their 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC, S&B is still very much ahead of the pack.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Given their 1-8x24 PM II ShortDot Dual CC, S&B is still very much ahead of the pack.
    Premier had a chance to de-throne the king but couldn’t capitalize…(was shocked to see a real 1-8 Premier here not long ago).

The only thing in S&Bs way is S&B. Nearly $5k for a dual CC now and folks have figured out mid-range pvo plus piggy back mrds has cooled the lpvo arms race. Makes more sense to buy a 4-16 ATACR, ACRO, and Spuhr setup and save about $2k.

Feedback Score
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Makes more sense to buy a 4-16 ATACR, ACRO, and Spuhr setup and save about $2k.
    pretty close to what i did on the 18" SPRish build I just completed. 4-16x ATACR, offset RMR. My previous 18" AR sports a 1-8x ATACR. I spent yesterday shooting the new one. As with everything, it's a trade off. On small targets at 415 yards, the 16x makes a big difference compared to 8x. But shooting 6" plates in the woods at 30-50 yards, the gap between 1x red dot and 4x scope is big. I'm somewhat faster at 2-3x on the 1-8x than either 1x or 4x

kinda hard to see with the tiny attachment size here, but this is my target array at 400. 6" black circle in front of full size ipsc hostage, and 3" black circle over shoulder. with a pair of reduced ipsc hostage/bad guy to the left. maybe just my old eyes, but mag helps a lot. I also have a 6" circle about 10 yards away from firing point, and i had a friend watching clock, 10 seconds par time to shoot close circle and then drop to prone and hit the two white ipsc at 415. with offset red dot and 16x NF, it was easy. hitting the 6" circle at 10 yards on 8x would suck almost as bad as hitting the two ipsc at 400 on 1x. I don't think i could change the mag on the 1-8x fast enough.

granted, that exercise may not be realistic scenario anyone is ever likely to encounter outside of 3gun, but it illustrates the differences
    EF94024A-3A57-4B32-890A-1CD1730C307A.jpeg
    EEF0D3E3-C657-4C1F-A893-48ED4766474F.jpeg
    Last edited by taliv; 09-27-21 at 10:03.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    [

pretty close to what i did on the 18" SPRish build I just completed. 4-16x ATACR, offset RMR. My previous 18" AR sports a 1-8x ATACR. I spent yesterday shooting the new one. As with everything, it's a trade off. On small targets at 415 yards, the 16x makes a big difference compared to 8x. But shooting 6" plates in the woods at 30-50 yards, the gap between 1x red dot and 4x scope is big. I'm somewhat faster at 2-3x on the 1-8x than either 1x or 4x

kinda hard to see with the tiny attachment size here, but this is my target array at 400. 6" black circle in front of full size ipsc hostage, and 3" black circle over shoulder. with a pair of reduced ipsc hostage/bad guy to the left. maybe just my old eyes, but mag helps a lot. I also have a 6" circle about 10 yards away from firing point, and i had a friend watching clock, 10 seconds par time to shoot close circle and then drop to prone and hit the two white ipsc at 415. with offset red dot and 16x NF, it was easy. hitting the 6" circle at 10 yards on 8x would suck almost as bad as hitting the two ipsc at 400 on 1x. I don't think i could change the mag on the 1-8x fast enough.

granted, that exercise may not be realistic scenario anyone is ever likely to encounter outside of 3gun, but it illustrates the differences
    EF94024A-3A57-4B32-890A-1CD1730C307A.jpeg
    EEF0D3E3-C657-4C1F-A893-48ED4766474F.jpeg

The old standard that's been parroted is: "1x per 100y". Yeah...that's cool and all for a torso hit on a human. Small targets or clean kills for hunting are another story. I encourage folks to take the above and always divide by a factor of target size (in MOA)
    Thus, if you're shooting at a full IPSC at 800y, you might be able to get away with a mere 4x. But as you stated, if shooting at tiny stuff closer ranges, it may necessitate a higher magnification factor. Thus, magnification isn't merely a factor of distance.

There was a discussion here not long ago about a min-recce do-all type rifle with suppression and allowance for NV. This is the real trick. Once one figures out their sighting package, we have to weigh (literally and figuratively) how it works as a system. The MPVO has a weight/balance penalty. It is in that I think the LPVO still has a seat at the table.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 09-27-21 at 10:25.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    LPVOs main benefit is to replace a red dot (not a scoped rifle) and their main advantage is Positive IDentification. If you want a scoped rifle there are far better optics than the LPVOs that are out there.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    LPVOs main benefit is to replace a red dot (not a scoped rifle) and their main advantage is Positive IDentification. If you want a scoped rifle there are far better optics than the LPVOs that are out there.

No...it's a scope to be used for ALL the advantages a magnified optic provides. And despite all the youtube BS, you'll notice there's a lot of people taking advantage of piggy back mRDS's and it's for good reason.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast