Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: King of the LPvO's - 2021

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Credo
    That is it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The Trijicon marketing dept really went downhill.
    QFT. At least their quality is still good.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    FFP reticle with an actual dot in the second plane. Anything else is a jack of all trades style compromise.
    I disagree. The ATACR 1-8 has a great reticle with daylight bright illumination, useable on 1x and 8x, and most importantly in my opinion it doesn’t require illumination to be useful on 1x.

The DFP S&B 1-8 SD CC is very cool. A friend has one. The glass is great. 1x is great. 8x is great. The reticle leaves much to be desired. And on 1x, the illumination is not optional, it’s a necessity. And battery life ain’t great.

The S&B has better glass, but after looking through my friend’s, I lost interest in buying one.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 05-27-21 at 21:51.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So I thought I would update this thread.

I went to the range with one of my buddies who just got his Razor 3. I got to put probably 40 rounds through the gun while zeroing it and then messing around on the 500 yard steel. I actually liked a lot about the Razor 3. Build quality and feature set was top notch. Clicks felt amazing, magnification throw lever was great. Glass quality was great. The only two things I didn't like about the Razor 3 was the size of the center dot, and it felt a little warped at 1x magnification. For example when my Steiner is on 1x it feels like a very flat image, and the razor didn't feel that way. It wasn't terrible and maybe playing with the diopter ring would have helped? But my main complaint was the massive center dot. After shooting my PA acSS with chevron reticle I think I got spoiled on the infinite point of aim.

But after this great experience with the Razor 3, I decided to place an order for a different optic. The same buddy had another gun with an Athlon 1-6 on it. He handed me the rifle and said: "here take a look through this optic", and I looked at the side and it said "Athlon". At first I was kinda turned off because I already owned a PA with chinese glass, and almost handed the rifle right back to him. He laughed and insisted I look through the glass. I made cheek weld and was pleasantly surprised. I don't remember exactly which model it was; but the glass quality was legitimately as good as a Razor 2. It looked as clear as my Steiner but went all the way up to 6!! The power level was great, and it was daylight bright. Also had kinda a funky BDC in it. I got home that night and started doing more research on the brand and it seems they are where vortex was at in the beginning. Trying to introduce super high quality optics at more reasonable prices. I became aware that they have a 1 -10 coming to market. Looking at the specs of the 1-10 Ares ETR it looks like they where going directly after the Razor 3. Even the reticle looks very similar. My buddy is a dealer for athlon and I had him ask their sales rep if it was day light bright and he said that it was. So I told my buddy to place and order; and it should be coming around July.

If everything works out I should actually be one of the first people to get their hands on a Ares ETR 1-10, and I will have a razor 3 I can borrow to compare it too. I'll be sure to update this thread.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    One of my biggest questions when it comes to decent quality LPVOs is ruggedness. I know the really good ones like the Razor, ATACR, K6i, SD, etc are built like tanks and have excellent glass. For the less expensive ones, are you sacrificing both glass quality and significant ability to take a beating? Could you get a decent LPVO for under $1000 that, while maybe not crystal clear like a high end scope, could still survive doomsday? Or are the LPVOs like the Primary Arms, Accupoint, etc, basically just good for range and competition?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    One of my biggest questions when it comes to decent quality LPVOs is ruggedness. I know the really good ones like the Razor, ATACR, K6i, SD, etc are built like tanks and have excellent glass. For the less expensive ones, are you sacrificing both glass quality and significant ability to take a beating? Could you get a decent LPVO for under $1000 that, while maybe not crystal clear like a high end scope, could still survive doomsday? Or are the LPVOs like the Primary Arms, Accupoint, etc, basically just good for range and competition?
    Do you have any actual examples of less expensive optics being less durable? I don't know at which point you consider an optic "cheap" but in my own experience, and plenty of people on Youtube have proven; the $300 Primary Arms optics are plenty durable. In fact I would say my PA optic feels more durable than my steiner. This is purely subjective as neither optic has failed me in any way no matter how many times they get dumped into the rifle barrel, or slammed into a barricade.

I would 100% consider my cheaper PA and vortex glass durable. They just lack in raw glass performance. They even track surprisingly well.

EDIT: Primary Arms even has a lot of their cheaper LPVO's certified by some LEO board, and they even claim they test their optics with thousands of rounds of SCAR17 fire.
    Last edited by turnburglar; 06-02-21 at 19:58.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Do you have any actual examples of less expensive optics being less durable?
    I wasn't saying that they were. I was asking if they were.

I don't know at which point you consider an optic "cheap" but in my own experience, and plenty of people on Youtube have proven; the $300 Primary Arms optics are plenty durable. In fact I would say my PA optic feels more durable than my steiner. This is purely subjective as neither optic has failed me in any way no matter how many times they get dumped into the rifle barrel, or slammed into a barricade.

I would 100% consider my cheaper PA and vortex glass durable. They just lack in raw glass performance. They even track surprisingly well.

EDIT: Primary Arms even has a lot of their cheaper LPVO's certified by some LEO board, and they even claim they test their optics with thousands of rounds of SCAR17 fire.
    Well that's good to know. I've heard a lot of good things about the PA LPVOs, but I wasn't sure what was meant by "good". If I can use it for more than just the range and it will take a pounding and keep working (just like your mom ) then that works for me until I can afford to drop $1000+!
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    For those of you are running these types of optics, how muchbtime do find yourself using them at the extreme ends of their magnification range? Or rather, how much time do you one should spend shooting at 1x or 8/10x to justify the use of these optics over something more traditional, i.e. a 3-9x or 2.5-10x?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    For those of you are running these types of optics, how muchbtime do find yourself using them at the extreme ends of their magnification range? Or rather, how much time do you one should spend shooting at 1x or 8/10x to justify the use of these optics over something more traditional, i.e. a 3-9x or 2.5-10x?
    1x the majority of the time, dialing up to higher magnification as needed. 1x is very RDS'ish.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I became aware that they have a 1 -10 coming to market. Looking at the specs of the 1-10 Ares ETR it looks like they where going directly after the Razor 3. Even the reticle looks very similar. My buddy is a dealer for athlon and I had him ask their sales rep if it was day light bright and he said that it was. So I told my buddy to place and order; and it should be coming around July.

If everything works out I should actually be one of the first people to get their hands on a Ares ETR 1-10, and I will have a razor 3 I can borrow to compare it too. I'll be sure to update this thread.
    27oz for that new Athlon 1-10? Oof

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    1x the majority of the time, dialing up to higher magnification as needed. 1x is very RDS'ish.
    Thanks

It seems as if most folks are using these optics on AR15's. How many of you are using them on larger platforms like AR10-ish designs? If so, does the larger size and weight of the gun negate/affect the RDS-like speed when using 1x?

Right now I have a Colt LE901 that I use for hunting, bears and recreational shooting. It wears a SWFA HD 3-9. This is one of my favorite hunting scopes as the reticle design at low power had allowed me to make fast accurate shots on game under 50 yards as well as longer range shots. I've been thinking of experimenting with one of these newer 1-8/10 models to see if there may be any advantages.

I use a VCOG 1-6 at work so I'm not totally unfamiliar with FFP LPVO's.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast