Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone do Action Steel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Anyone do Action Steel?

I know, it isn't sanctioned, but it is fun as hell. 5 or 6 stages. Usually 21-25 rounds per stage. Different every month. Rimfire Pistol and Rifle , CF PCC, and CF Handgun classes. Irons or Optics.

Unlike the Steel Challenge, there is a LOT of movement.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 05-18-21 at 08:46. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I do “outlaw” Steel matches at our club.
    Usually 3 or 4 shooting positions ankd 2 or 3 stages. We make an effort to keep it “Single Stack Neutral”- 8 to 10 rds per position, for the few that still shoot 9mm or .45/1911.
    It’s limited to CFP and PCC due to Range Rules.......
    Also invitation only most matches.
    Lot of fun.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Yup and its fun.
    My local club has between 6-8 stages and between 25-40 targets with a par time of 25 secs.
    We have quite a few GMs show up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Yup and its fun.
    My local club has between 6-8 stages and between 25-40 targets with a par time of 25 secs.
    We have quite a few GMs show up.
    Yea..I can't see myself getting into the Steel Challenge thing. Zero movement. The same thing every time. That is just pure muscle memory. Not very real world imho.

I could care less about ranking in the grand scheme of things. Like you mentioned, there are GM's and Masters that show up and compete. Just kind of gauge yourself that way and carry on.

The fun part is most important or it isn't really a great hobby now is it?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I've shot the ones that Manny does up at VCGHC, pretty fun.
    Serves a good purpose in the "now shoot FASTER" training cycle, but it's not something that I do monthly.
    In the competing training time for different disciplines, I have to pick what I'm going to focus on, and with very little "end game" to these I don't focus on them.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I've shot the ones that Manny does up at VCGHC, pretty fun.
    Serves a good purpose in the "now shoot FASTER" training cycle, but it's not something that I do monthly.
    In the competing training time for different disciplines, I have to pick what I'm going to focus on, and with very little "end game" to these I don't focus on them.
    I never tried Manny's, I would like to though, even though it is about 5 minutes away from my house. My friends all shoot down at PMRPC in Palm Bay, so I go there instead. I wouldn't mind joining VCGHC, but man it is pricey. The up front cost is about the same at PMRPC, but the yearly after that is significantly higher.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 05-18-21 at 18:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Yea..I can't see myself getting into the Steel Challenge thing.
    Action steel and Steel Challenge are two different things.

The action steel that I shoot is closer to a USPSA shoot course but it just all happens to be steel targets and there are a bonus target on most stages.

Steel Challenge is all about speed.
    Its also a good place for the beginner to start and learn the rules as there is very little movement and the chance of breaking the 180 go down significantly.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I never tried Manny's, I would like to though, even though it is about 5 minutes away from my house. My friends all shoot down at PMRPC in Palm Bay, so I go there instead. I wouldn't mind joining VCGHC, but man it is pricey. The up front cost is about the same at PMRPC, but the yearly after that is significantly higher.
    I've intended to become a member at VCGHC for a few years, and especially now that Gorka and Corny are running the range, but have not yet (yeah the barrier to membership entry is a little steep).
    Don't need to be a member for any of the matches (or the Long Range range), but you pay a little extra per event. No big deal.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Action steel and Steel Challenge are two different things.

The action steel that I shoot is closer to a USPSA shoot course but it just all happens to be steel targets and there are a bonus target on most stages.

Steel Challenge is all about speed.
    Its also a good place for the beginner to start and learn the rules as there is very little movement and the chance of breaking the 180 go down significantly.
    Yeah, I can see the point about safety and breaking 180. I already shoot Action Steel. Doing the rimfire rifle optic for now. Ammo is expensive and I picked up 3300 rounds of 22lr for $195 a few months ago by walking into a Walmart one early Sunday morning. So, it's nice and affordable.

Here is one of my better stages last weekend. Just trying to get faster.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I've intended to become a member at VCGHC for a few years, and especially now that Gorka and Corny are running the range, but have not yet (yeah the barrier to membership entry is a little steep).
    Don't need to be a member for any of the matches (or the Long Range range), but you pay a little extra per event. No big deal.
    Yea...I watched some of Gorka's videos. Man, he's fast. I might get out to one of Manny's one of these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast